Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #15

As always, there are two sides to this issue. While a phone call to the ERS is really convenient, there are these issues to consider:

1. No cell phone service where you are stranded
2. The ERS doesn't have a spare in your size
3. They have one in your size, but it's not the same brand as all of your other tires
4. They don't have a wheel, and you don't have a spare wheel
5. The ERS doesn't have a socket that fits your lug nuts
6. The ERS is many, many hours away

There's no one answer they suits everyone. I carry a spare tire, but that's just what suits me. I was able to modify a small storage compartment to fit the tire so I didn't loose any significant storage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I would count on the ERS to bring me one if that is what they were coming out for. JMHO So no we do not carry one with us.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Progressive insurance says that they will pay for the tow to the nearest authorized repair shop no matter what the distance. I will have to pay for the replacement tire. They suggest to carry a spare rim in case the mounted rim is damaged. This coverage applies to US and Alaska, plus Canada. I didn't ask about Mexico - I'm waiting until their politicians are at least as honest as ours - that's a really low standard and perhaps they'll get there someday. Bottom line: I'm one of the "no spare" group. Dave
OK, OK, I have changed my mind! Mostly because I'm a Big O Tires customer. I just bought new tires from them with their road hazard warranty. I asked, "What if I need to replace a tire and there's no Big O franchise around?" The cost of the tire would not be reimbursed, but if I take the carcass to the nearest Big O they will order me a new tire. So that leaves me hauling around an old blown tire while I'm on vacation?

Plus my tire guy had another good point. I get a blow out on the side of the interstate and it takes three or four days for a company to order a replacement tire. Am I going to spend that time boondocking with traffic blowing by night and day? First of all, the local highway patrol is going to order me towed away irregardless of the damage it might do to my rig! And then, I can't imagine how irritable the wife will be!

I'm now a spare tire guy. Converted and confirmed!

Dave
Old 03-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare tire! Don't leave home without it.

I have been too many places without cell service to rely on cell phone.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just had the opportunity to try out the service of Coach Net on a tire that lost its tread. I have no complaints as I am in the middle of nowhere and cell service was marginal at best. I am relatively new to large motor homes and I discovered that it's hours away from the nearest dealer that has our size of tire. Luckily we had a very congenial tire dealer that went beyond the call of duty by making two trips out to get us a spare tire to limp to town on. She then helped us locate a place to spend the night as no one had a tire so they had to be ordered. I purchased all new as she gave me what I considered a very good price on all the tires and all the tires would be reaching their end of life in the next year or so. 6 and 7 years old and showing slight weather checking.

Alan Wilson
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #19

Many years ago I carried a spare for TTs and a couple of MHs and that for the most part was before cell phones. Did not get my first portable cell untl 1991. (Had monster in-car hard wired cell phone before that but friends of mine had bag phones that needed external 12v power but you could set them on the dash or even on the roof and get reasonable comms, These were in the days of analogue cell and coverage was spotty in rural areas.)

Have not carried a spare in a MH since I got my first DP a new 2001 Monaco Diplomat and have not carried one since.

Since the late 90's I had a Satphone + cell phones before that but I never had to use either for myself because of a flat tire, but I have for other people. Bought a new Satphone recently, sold ny old very bulky one a few years ago).

A Satphone or Satellite texting system also gives that additional security for any emergency, and I have been in some very remote places where the Satphone was the only link.

So my advice is, get Satellite comms vs the spare tire for those times you might need help and the cell phone just won't do the job. My Smart Car does not even have a spare tire. Nor does my present B+ RV and there is no place to carry one on either, albeit I could get a tire hitch mount for both vehicles but not planning to do this when I can always call for help and have ERA coverage.

IMHO, good communication capability is more important than the spare tire.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #20

I found that I can't depend on people I pay ahead of time who may reimbursed another company that may pay a service guy to provide a service to me. A 19.5 or 16 tire I can change but a 22 maybe not and I can't torque the lugs to 500 lbs so I would take a chance on those. I would make sure I kept a full water tank.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had spares on both my Class A's. I used spares twice in 59,000 miles on the first buggy and none in 60,000 on my second. My southwind came with one mounted under the rear bumper. I can't see how I would ever get it out if needed but at my age, I would be foolish to try. I hope I never need it.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had a spare on my 2006 Winnebago, well all I could do was look at it.
It was clear up the side of the motorhome under the bed area, the tire
guy could hardly lift it and me being a woman, even a taller one, I couldn't lift that thing if my life depended on it.

Then on this motorhome with 275/70, where would I get something strong enough to get it off. I have no power tools.

ERS and if I can't reach them eventually a trooper will be by.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I had a spare on my 2006 Winnebago, well all I could do was look at it. It was clear up the side of the motorhome under the bed area, the tire guy could hardly lift it and me being a woman, even a taller one, I couldn't lift that thing if my life depended on it. Then on this motorhome with 275/70, where would I get something strong enough to get it off. I have no power tools. ERS and if I can't reach them eventually a trooper will be by.
If it is mounted on a wheel, which I assume it is being under the MH, I can imagine it is. I kept the youngest tire on my change and keeping it as a spare unmounted in a bay. I am packing stuff in the cavity of the tire so as not to lose that space and have a spare so I don't go through what I did last week. If I ruin a rim that will be a different story but in the meantime I now have a spare.

Alan
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I had a spare on my 2006 Winnebago, well all I could do was look at it.
It was clear up the side of the motorhome under the bed area, the tire
guy could hardly lift it and me being a woman, even a taller one, I couldn't lift that thing if my life depended on it.

Then on this motorhome with 275/70, where would I get something strong enough to get it off. I have no power tools.

ERS and if I can't reach them eventually a trooper will be by.
Just make sure you have the flat in the south. Southern gentelmen are still required to help a lady in distress.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #25

You do not need a brand new spare tire. You dont not need to replace your spare every 7 years because it is old. All you need is a decent used tire to get you where you need to go. I was an over the road trucker. I know from experience that not every place is going to have the right size, especally if you are off the beaten path. Some places will take advantage of your situation and charge out the a$$ for a tire.

My advice take it or leave it....never leave home with out a spare. Mounted or not. even if its an old scab. It will get you where you need to go.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
You do not need a brand new spare tire. You dont not need to replace your spare every 7 years because it is old. All you need is a decent used tire to get you where you need to go. I was an over the road trucker. I know from experience that not every place is going to have the right size, especally if you are off the beaten path. Some places will take advantage of your situation and charge out the a$$ for a tire. My advice take it or leave it....never leave home with out a spare. Mounted or not. even if its an old scab. It will get you where you need to go.
X2!!! Voice of experience.

Alan
Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #27

Arizona has a great point. On a class A DP changing a tire is no easy task. It is important to remember that most of these rigs weigh 30,000 pounds empty, if not substantially more. And the wheel tire combo is easily two hundred pounds. I personally carry a mounted spare, two 20,000 pound bottle jacks, railroad ties for blocking and a 1 inch torque wrench that goes up to 750 ft/lbs. I carry all this because i regularly go to mexico and and into pretty remote places in the desert that I m not even sure ERS would come to.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #28

Anyone just remove a dually wheel as a temp fix to limp it into town. In a pinch I may try it