Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

No Spare tire?

Just brought our new Fleetwood Storm 32BH home and I noticed there is no spare tire......is this normal practice for a new motorhome?
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many/most do not. Some folks carry a uncounted spare, some mounted, others do without. In any case you should have a ERS to change a spare if you have one or provide one to you if needed. I am in the camp of carrying a spare. This way I don't get delayed by availability or stuck with paying too much for a tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Many/most do not. Some folks carry a uncounted spare, some mounted, others do without. In any case you should have a ERS to change a spare if you have one or provide one to you if needed. I am in the camp of carrying a spare. This way I don't get delayed by availability or stuck with paying too much for a tire.
Thanks, next I have to figure the best way to toad tow a Jeep
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flat tow it if 4x4. Check out the Ready Brute tow bar with built in braking system. Works well and good bang for the buck. I tow from an aftermarket bumper rather than buying/installing a base plate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

I the days of phone booths, a spare was absolutely needed. Now days, with cell phones, it's easier to make a call than change a tire!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I the days of phone booths, a spare was absolutely needed. Now days, with cell phones, it's easier to make a call than change a tire!

Ed
My feeling as well. My 40DP didn't come with a spare when new and I certainly have never been willing to give up the space one would consume.

Many members have strong feelings on both sides of this issue and it's all a matter of what each individual feels comfortable with. Personally, I accept the risk of being delayed or having to pay too much for one tire in exchange for not having to carry a spare.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replys!

I've decided to maintain my tires correctly and go spareless.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

my 32ft has a spare (southwind) when I went through the walk thru I said where is the spare . the tech said There was none. I said the brochure said I had one . We went to another southwind and it had one mine was missing they took that one and put it in my motorhome.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

My 2005 MH had an unmounted 275/70/22.5 spare in the storage bay with a DOT of early 2004. So it was one of the original tires that came on the coach. I guess in a pinch it I could have ERS mount it just to get me to the next place to buy a new one but I sure would not want to go very far on a 2004 tire. The tires on the coach now are 2009 and I will be replacing them soon and the old spare will be gone as well. I am not going to carry a spare and will rely on Coachnet ERS to provide a new tire if I should need one.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A spare for my RV would cost approx $400 unmounted, more with rim and mounted. An RV tire has an average life span of 5-7 years due to age [depending upon maintenance care] and not wear. Taking in account the lost storage space for a tire, it's added weight, and loss of fuel milage, I see no reason to carry such an expensive tire that is aging out by the day and not being used. And with Cell phones, portable wifi hot spots, I-pads and laptop PC's, I prefer to set down the jacks, turn on the auto Sat for TV, prepare some food and drink while I wait on Emergency Road Service to bring a tire I ordered & paid for in advance (logistics) and take care of me.
Now if I was planning on traveling in Mexico or deserted outback areas of the US with a caravan, I might carry a spare. Otherwise I would just boondock and wait patiently for ERS to bring the tire I need.
Since I bought my coach in Oct 07, I have never had a tire hazard.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would count on the ERS to bring me one if that is what they were coming out for. JMHO So no we do not carry one with us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When I get new tires, I'm going to save the best of the ones being replaced and carry it unmounted.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

Progressive insurance says that they will pay for the tow to the nearest authorized repair shop no matter what the distance. I will have to pay for the replacement tire. They suggest to carry a spare rim in case the mounted rim is damaged. This coverage applies to US and Alaska, plus Canada. I didn't ask about Mexico - I'm waiting until their politicians are at least as honest as ours - that's a really low standard and perhaps they'll get there someday.

Bottom line: I'm one of the "no spare" group.

Dave
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Progressive insurance says that they will pay for the tow to the nearest authorized repair shop no matter what the distance. I will have to pay for the replacement tire. They suggest to carry a spare rim in case the mounted rim is damaged. This coverage applies to US and Alaska, plus Canada. I didn't ask about Mexico - I'm waiting until their politicians are at least as honest as ours - that's a really low standard and perhaps they'll get there someday.

Bottom line: I'm one of the "no spare" group.

Dave
Just cancelled AAA Roadside assist as they will not fix a Class A tire. We went with Good Sam and the coverage was better at a lower cost. (Good Sam will bring a tire at your request and change it roadside)