RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

Noisy water pump

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J. To my knowledge, the water pump is the one that came in it from the factory. The pressure is fine but it seems awfully noisy when running. It sounds like a loaded 18 wheeler going down a mountain with the Jake break on. The only thing I have to compare it with is a pop up camper I used to own and that water pump was very quiet in comparison. I realize it's 20 years old and old technology but is this normal. As I said before, it seems to perform OK. It's just an annoyance. Any thoughts?
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

Here's a couple of thoughts:
1) Have you cleaned out the pumps screened bowl lately
2) Are you sure you have plenty of water in the tank
3) Rubber isolation pads under the feet may be missing or are shot
4) It's 20 years old. Don't even waste your time trying to figure it out, or repair it. Just replace it. It’s not that expensive
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joree View Post
Here's a couple of thoughts:
1) Have you cleaned out the pumps screened bowl lately
2) Are you sure you have plenty of water in the tank
3) Rubber isolation pads under the feet may be missing or are shot
4) It's 20 years old. Don't even waste your time trying to figure it out, or repair it. Just replace it. Itís not that expensive
That's what I was thinking. It's about as noisy outside as it is inside. As I said, it's more of a nuisance than anything.
Thanks for the response.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same problem with my '95 Bounder 34J. I wrapped all the PEX pipes attached to the pump with gray foam pipe insulation from home depot so that there was no contact with the floor and changed the rubber feet on the pump. It reduced most of the noise to make it tolerable. We just learned to live with it.
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Consider one of the variable speed water pumps from Flojet or Shurflow. Not cheap, but very quiet. I have had one in 2 different motorhomes and am very satisfied.

Edit. Going from memory, the variable speed pumps are around 2 inches longer than the OEM versions. This was an issue on our '95 Trek, but not on the '99, so be sure you have additional room.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

My next question was going to be which is the best water pump. I might not bother with it but if I find myself with extra time and money on my hands (yeah, right) I might swap it out for a new one.

Tags
water, water pump