Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Guy View Post
Hi All,

I have been looking for a good installation video for the ARP control unit being added to a Norcold 1200.. I'm still fuzzy about how the unit works - more to the point - does it REPLACE the Norcold recall box, or is it in addition to the Norcold recall?

If I add it to my Norcold 1200, is there an additional panel added to the front of the fridge?

Thanks again.
You need to search ALL of ARP's web pages, the information is there but hard to find.

If i remember the recall box stays. My unit didn't need or have a recall.

The small ARP controller usually goes in by the back. They say you can put it anywhere inside the MH for easier display. I did not.

I'm almost done with my ARP install. All thats left is to install the fans (will do one fan now today and the other up top later on).

ARP's web site for the install is a bit challenging with all the different norcold units needing spacific applications. I had a dozen pages open for various stages of the install. Had to call Paul the owner 2 times just to make sure i was doing it correctly, which i was.

As my MH is in a storage yard i printed out more pages than i could count for guidance doing the install.

For me i first did several days figuring out the install reading all the instructions before starting then another day and half to complete. Not that it was a 2 day install but i take my time, enjoy the process of doing and made sure i was doing it correctly. If i had to do this install again now knowing how to interpret the directions for MY unit it would probably take an hour maybe 2.

Today day 2 i will do the fan which should only take a few minutes the do. Then after the install is complete do the testing they have to make sure all is working correctly.

All in all not all that difficult once you get into it and understand the directions.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
I also believe the recall box stays. Its benefit would be questionable since the ARP monitors boiler temperature and shuts off the unit if it should get too hot. That is essentially what the recall box does -- it just does it my monitoring the temperature of some the return tubing. However the recall box should properly stay. If you have the recall box tripping -- to me it means you have lost some coolant, and have a leak of some sort which is what the recall box is there for. The issue is really thin tubing that can break or leak.

Since I replaced my Norcold cooling with the thicker Amish unit the recall box is gone on mine.

I installed the ARP and it was confusing, I had to contact the people at ARP twice to understand it properly.

Over on another thread (projects on my 1997 Dream) Glenn Lever posted a diagram of the installation which I do not remember them having when I installed mine. That diagram seemed reasonably clear. Glenn is considering installing the ARP also. Unfortunately his installation will wait until spring since he is in Upstate NY.

While I would be far from considering myself an ARP installation expert, I would gladly answer whatever questions I could when you do the install.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi, I would like to dump the recall box simply because I can't reset it without a trip to the local RV service center and some $$. I see no evidence of leaking chemistry, and the unit cools nicely (fair in very hot weather), so my belief is that the box shut off for other reasons than heat. My house batteries went flat once (probably left something turned on) and the recall box kicked. I parked in front of the house on a slight grade and the fridge coded and shut down after about 30 min. taking the recall box out also. and on and on. I would just like to dump it altogether.

When you converted to the "Amish" cooling tubes, did you disconnect the recall box at that time?

Thanks

FMCA/Fleetwood Owners Assn.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi - I've been looking around on the ARP website and there is a lot of stuff on there. I was hoping for a YouTube video of somebody with a Norcold 1200 making the install step by step and outlining all the wiring details. Either the installation is so simple that the diagrams given easily cover the process, or there are some assumptions that I still haven't picked up on etc. Either way, I'm still not convinced the install is something that I can handle (yet). My fear (and with this fridge, I have many unsettling thoughts) is that I will screw up some microprocessor someplace and wind up crashing the whole thing. I haven't even started considering fan issues yet.

Thanks for the input.

FMCA/Fleetwood Owners Assn.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Film Guy -- -I dumped the recall box because it was a NORCOLD tubing issue and I no longer have NORCOLD tubing. It is up to you of course.
The ARP monitors the boiler temperature ( a sensor about six inches up the large tube above the boiler). It is that sensor that is used if you should temporarily park your RV on an angle (such as when you might stop for lunch somewhere or to see some attraction along the road) in that case the tubes do not flow correctly -- this causes an overheat -- the ARP unit would automatically turn off the refer -- then automatically restart it when the problem is corrected.

That is the same function the Recall box does -- but is not easily reset. I did mine several time with a magnet, but that eventually failed.

As for installation -- study things carefully then do the install. Paul at ARP was very helpful and quick to answer to my question that came up during my install. Yes -- there is some risk in doing any electrical changes like this.

thx -- Dale
Old 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #20

Film Guy -- -I dumped the recall box because it was a NORCOLD tubing issue and I no longer have NORCOLD tubing. It is up to you of course.
The ARP monitors the boiler temperature ( a sensor about six inches up the large tube above the boiler). It is that sensor that is used if you should temporarily park your RV on an angle (such as when you might stop for lunch somewhere or to see some attraction along the road) in that case the tubes do not flow correctly -- this causes an overheat -- the ARP unit would automatically turn off the refer -- then automatically restart it when the problem is corrected.

As for installation -- study things carefully then do the install. Paul at ARP was very helpful and quick to answer to my question that came up during my install. Yes -- there is some risk in doing any electrical changes like this.

thx -- Dale
Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You CAN bypass the recall box but ARP maker does not recommend it for legal reasons. So, they don't provide the "how" instructions. You can turn off ARP protection and run it in a bypass mode, from within advanced menus people normally don't use, in which case the recall box would still possibly trip if the heat stack in the fridge overheated due to major out of level with fridge still turned on situation or no solution in the tubing due to tubing leak situation.

With ARP correctly installed and not set to bypass the ARP will shut down heat at well below 400 F and I have read that the Norcold recall box trips at something like 700 F. So as DJT would say recall box trip "will never happen" on a ARP equpped fridge
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold