Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

Now I'm thinking about an extended warranty

My initial plan was to be "self insured" for repairs, but after owning my 2022 Fleetwood Fortis for a little over 4 months, now I'm thinking maybe I should get an extended warranty. I've discovered dozens of issues, and in spite of the fact that the coach has been in the shop about a third of the time I've owned it, most issues remain unfixed. New issues come in faster than they can be addressed.

At first I thought I was just "working out the bugs" of the new RV, but since items that were working are continuing to break, I can't help but feel like this will be never-ending, and I'll still be going through this when my regular warranty expires. So, now I'm feeling like an extended warranty could pretty easily pay out more than it costs.

One reason why I wanted to be self-insured was that it makes the repair process easy. I can get something fixed anywhere, anytime, by anyone. If something breaks at 10:00 PM on a Saturday, and I'm lucky enough to find someone (anyone) who can fix it at 10:00 AM Sunday, then I'm good to go.

I fear that with an extended warranty, there is likely to be some sort of pre-approval process and/or some limitations on where or how the work gets done. In that same scenario where something breaks at 10:00 PM on Saturday, maybe it's Tuesday before I've jumped through all the hoops to get a repair covered, and then maybe there's a long wait at the only available authorized repair facilities. Maybe it's 12 days to get something fixed, rather than 12 hours.

I don't want to be in a position where I pay for a warranty, but then sometimes I don't use it because of the delays or hassles. If using the warranty would completely derail my travels, but I can pay $400 out of pocket and keep the trip on track, I'll be pretty tempted to open my wallet instead of using the warranty. But that makes the warranty a waste of money.

Honestly, being a newbie, I don't know how any of this actually works out in the real world for problems in the middle of a trip. Maybe it's 12 days to get something fixed with or without an extended warranty. Or perhaps it's even somehow faster with the warranty, due to the warranty company's connections and influence. I really don't know.

I have found various threads on this topic, but the focus seems to be more about whether or not the warranty pays for itself. I'm equally concerned about the ease and speed of getting things fixed. In the long run, I would be content paying more to minimize disruptions to my travels, but I wouldn't want it to end up costing me an arm and a leg.
Jim917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You have a new gasser. The risks of something being very, very expensive is minimal IMO.

Continue to work through your problems under warrantly and then start to fix things yourself. Even if you have to use a mobile repairman every now and then you'll be ahead.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

As you say I am self insured. I retired in 2017. I bought a new 2016 in Sept 2015 so it is now 6+ years old. I too had a ton of things that needed fixing in the beginning. This was all fixed under warranty but it was out of service for over six months that first year. I am full time in my Bounder since 2017. I fix everything I can myself. Only a few things I could not do. I budget $300/month for repairs and maintenance. This amount seems to be good so far.
That might give you a frame of reference what sort of costs you are probably going to run into.
If time is your main concern you are correct in thinking a warranty company may slow the process down. I had a warranty on a DP back in 2007-2011. I broke even on the cost but there were times it took a while to work out the details to get it fixed.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
As you say I am self insured. I retired in 2017. I bought a new 2016 in Sept 2015 so it is now 6+ years old. I too had a ton of things that needed fixing in the beginning. This was all fixed under warranty but it was out of service for over six months that first year. I am full time in my Bounder since 2017. I fix everything I can myself. Only a few things I could not do. I budget $300/month for repairs and maintenance. This amount seems to be good so far.
That might give you a frame of reference what sort of costs you are probably going to run into.
If time is your main concern you are correct in thinking a warranty company may slow the process down. I had a warranty on a DP back in 2007-2011. I broke even on the cost but there were times it took a while to work out the details to get it fixed.
Thanks so much for the insight. That gives me more clarity on the subject. I appreciate it!
Jim917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #5

I have purchased two brand new RV's in the past, they lived in the shop the first year. Every trip we would create a punch list. Our current RV was purchased gently used, all the bugs had already been worked out. My advice would be to focus on the big stuff! Don't work about the small things, fix those yourself. If you don't know how go to YouTube, someone has probably done a video on it. Learn as much as you can about your unit's systems and how they work. Depending on your abilities some things you will be able to fix yourself for the others call a mobile RV tech. I have never purchased an extended warranty on an RV but, have on a car. There are too many restrictions and provisions for them to deny a claim.
GilbertAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty