Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Oil leak from injection pump gasket 98 Discovery?

1998 Discovery 36t
Cummins ISB 275
89k miles
I had a thin single drip of oil under the coach and I spent hours trying to find it. I ended up taking it to the shop that has done repairs for me in the past and they were able to find it. They said it is coming from the gasket of the injection pump and suggest I replace the gasket. They said it is not dripping, more of a seepage. They tightened the bolts to make sure they were not lose and that did not resolve the issue. They wiped it down, drove it around and saw more fresh oil in that area but it was not dripping yet.
Has anyone done this repair themselves? They said it is a cheap repair but it's a lot of labor to get to it and quoted me roughly $1,000 to fix it. I would like to do it myself if possible but first I would like to see if anyone has experience with this issue or if I should be looking elsewhere.
Any input is appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Is your engine 12 valve or 24 valve ? 98 was a change over year.
24 valve engines using the VF-44 electronic injector pump, had a " O " ring seal. The 24 valve pump Re & Re is much simpler than the 12 valve engine , because the injector pump timing is preset, using an offset key to the timing gear and a crankshaft possisioning sensor.
The pump Re & Re on a 12 valve ; JMHO ; is not a DIY job.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

It is a 24 valve.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
It is a 24 valve.
Only one special tool involved; a very short reach gear puller ; I'll see if I can find a picture of it. That and metric hand tools and a torque wrench.
Should have asked before ; Rear or side rad?
If side rad you won't need the short reach gear puller.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

It is a rear radiator.

So is this leak something that needs done? Has anyone experienced it before?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Put a wad of blue paper shop towel wedged into the seam area to sop up the oil. Check it periodically. If it becomes serious then do the gasket change. If not, put the paper towel wad change on your to do list at appropriate intervals. This type of leak will not affect performance. Just a housekeeping mess.

Make sure BTW that the paper towel wad is firmly pressed into place; you don't want it getting sucked out into the fan/radiator & creating blockage.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

The injector pump drive gear is " splash lubricated " not pressure so if the leak does get worse it should happen slowly. If the sealing "O " ring is just nicked the leak may remain constant for years; if the O ring is broken and shrinks away from the break , opening up a wider gap the leak may get worse quickly.
OTC & Miller tools supplied the special tools at the dealership where I worked , before I retired, going through their catalogs I've been unable to find a picture of the puller, I used at the shop. I'll keep looking.
BTW. On Dodge P/Us , re&re the injector pump on 98>02 Cummins 24 valve, was a 3.5 hr. flat rate job. I know access is an issue on M/Hs but $1000.00 seems like a lot. May be worth a few calls to see if a better price is available.

Tags
leak