Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Old Bounder Roof and Walls...Adding Switches

I tried to post this thread earlier, but it doesn't seem to have showed up, so I'll try again.

I want to put the interior lighting under wall switch control. Of course, all the wiring disappears into the walls and ceilings, so I need to know what's in the walls and ceilings. Can I use a fish tape to run cables, will I find the cavities filled with solid or glass insulation. I know some of you must have already pursued this idea, so what did you figure out?

I also have one panel that has a slight sag due to a previous water sag. Don't know if its possible to repair that panel or replace it. All the panels could use spruced up....cleaned, painted, and such. Perhaps even replaced. But I have no idea how they are secured or how to go about that project.

Whatdaya think?
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you click on your name in the upper left hand corner of any post you made a drop down window will show "Find More Posts by searchinferu" click that and you will see all posts made by you.

Please check your PM center.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

You don't say in your info what year your bounder is. Newer bounders have closed cell foam in all wall and cieling cavitys. I am planning to run light switches to new overhead lights when I redo the cieling in my discovery and am planning all mods in interior walls. Interier walls are hollow with few studs. most of your wiring is probably in the space between the floor of your overhead cabinets and the lower trim panel that lights and plugs are now. You might find a large chase of wires in the refrigerator compartment.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinferu View Post
<snip>so I need to know what's in the walls and ceilings. <snip>
I'm on the same page, Searchin' although I don't expect to do anything about it for awhile yet - too many other projects. Mine is a '93 Bounder 35J, Oshkosh frame. There's an RV salvage yard in KY I plan to go by sometime (after we get moved to VA), it'd be interesting to look at some wrecked/salvaged RV's to see how they're built.
mckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Well Mckinnly, you would not then see how they were built, but more like how they got 'unbuilt'!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Mac and Sink, I don't know if I would consider it 'newer" but my bounder is an 89 and for sure the interior walls are foam core, as well as the bed base, as I have cut into both now. So far so good with that, but not sure how to get wires to new locations in the walls with them being foam filled. But, I'm hoping someone who's been there will chime in soon.

Those square ceiling lights look like something of a WWII submarine,but twice as ugly. May have to use the wires in the same location with either pancake or recessed lights. Not sure how to contemplate recessed ones, as I don't know how thick the ceiling foam is/how much depth I have. Would rather not have my lights running down the center of the bus, or so it looks. But would have to figure out how to thread cable through the foam and also what to do with the holes left by the binder block ceiling lights that I remove.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchinferu View Post
Well Mckinnly, you would not then see how they were built, but more like how they got 'unbuilt'!
Short of seeing them put together in the first place - and being 22 years old I doubt they're building them the same way now - the best way for me to see how it's made is to take it apart. Unfortunately some things don't come apart easy and get destroyed in the process. I'd rather deconstruct something that doesn't HAVE to go back together again. It's kinda like having physicans train on cadavers. Cadavers don't squawk as much as living victims(ahem) specimens.

Foam core wall wouldn't necessarily be a show-stopper, but it would mean de-skinning the inside wall to provide a wiring chase. That's a LOT more work than pulling cables through an existing chase. In mine it'd mean taking pretty much everything else off the inside wall - upper cabinets, furniture, trim, etc. Lots of work.

Speaking of bed bases, the platform for the bed in mine was 1/8" plywood skins with 1x4 frame - 3/4" thick - inbetween and styrofoam in the open bays between the framing. That *might* have been good, but they used a poor adhesive and only on one side and staples to put it all together, so the platform was falling a part. I deconstructed mine and built a new one using 1" thick XPS foam. The top skin plywood had a vinyl skin, which I reused, but the bottom skin was in too bad shape to reuse. I found some 1/8" lauan at Home Despot to use instead, with wood glue to bond the wood, and construction adhesive to bond the foam to the skins - both sides. Also, I noticed the original platform was about an inch shy of standard dimensions for a normal queen mattress, so I rebuilt at the standard size. The new platform is quite rigid.

The original platform used nylon straps to hold the mattress in place: I used 1x4 to make a lip both sides and foot of the platform to hold the mattress in place.

Finally, I bought some new gas springs and rearranged the geometry on the gas springs to make the bed platform raise high enough that the mattress touches the ceiling to provide ample access to the doghouse under the bed. Alas, I second-guessed myself and got weaker springs than my original estimate, which turned out to be too weak. So, I used both the new springs and the old springs, which, while less elegant than just two springs, works perfectly. The platform stays down when it's down, up when it's up, and it's easy to lift even with the weight of the mattress.

This week hopefully I'll get a new hot water heater installed and some leaky pipes in the wet bay fixed. Unfortunately the weather in central Texas isn't being very cooperative: either too cold or too wet. I'm allergic to cold: it makes my nose run and I break out in goosebumps all over. I gotta get my BFR this week, too - had it scheduled for last Thursday but ceiling was too low. Rescheduled for this Wednesday, but looks like that's not going to work either. As of now I'm grounded.
mckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Well Paul, I have a new water heater waiting in the garage, as it's too cold to apply sealent/caulk/etc. to the outside of the coach. Still not sure what to use, as Atwood says to use the butyl tape puddy stuff, but I see new coach manufacturers using what appears to be acrylic caulk.

Thanks for the info on the foundation. I repurposed the base of the two bunk beds to make the base for the new queen. Then I cut the two foundation boards to make a "new" one 60 inches wide and 70 inches long. When the memory foam mattress gets here, I'll lop off six inches, as I need the space for the new side isle and turning the corner into the aft bathroom. This was not one of Bounder's best layouts. But I think it will work fine, with the added advantage of having large windows at both your head and feet. I also opened up the little doorway into the bath and will not use a door. After I figure out what's needed to move the head into what is now a large closet, I'll just leave the remaning shower and sink open to the 'suite'.

Tags
bounder, roof