Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Older used American Coach

After reading all the posts by you folks that have older ( 10 yrs ) American Coach products it really seems that you have no more issues that the newer ( less than 5yrs ) coaches.

If one were to find a very clean 1998 to 2002 American Coach product that was a reasonable price.... What would you do or request prior to purchase?

Would you have an Oil analysis done?
Would you have a reputable diesel man go over it?
Would you have a Spartan/Gillig shop go over the chassis rolling stock?

Or all of the above?

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
After reading all the posts by you folks that have older ( 10 yrs ) American Coach products it really seems that you have no more issues that the newer ( less than 5yrs ) coaches.

If one were to find a very clean 1998 to 2002 American Coach product that was a reasonable price.... What would you do or request prior to purchase?

Or all of the above?

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
The problem is finding someone that knows more than you.

If you have some knowledge I would spend a full day playing with everything you can find on the coach.

If you gut feels good with it than that is most liley a better indicator that someone else that spends an hour looking at it.

See if you can get the original owners name and contact and talk with them.

Maintenance records are VERY important. They are an indicator of how the coach was taken care of as well as if it was taken care of

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

My Eagle is the oldest of your range of years. After 7 years of ownership and 40K miles of travel, I am continually impressed by the house, chassis and drive-train.

If you go to "vintage" Americans, you are saving a tremendous amount of depreciation expense going forward compared to newer units.

Pick the body style you prefer (98-01 vs 02-03), learn the difference between the Eagles, Dreams and Traditions and follow the advice that Glenn offers above.

Operate all the systems, look at the fluids, tires, run the furnaces, run the A/C's, test the stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator.

Check battery age and strength, maintenance records and by all means drive the coach in town and on the highway.

With the Spartan Mountain Master chassis, see if the ball joints have been replaced. If not, have a heavy truck shop that does alignments check the ball joints and see if it needs an alignment.

Chassis should be rust free, check the framing for the floors of the storage compartments (especially battery and water compartment) to make sure all are rust free. If you see chassis and frame rust--move on.

The interior and exterior will speak loudly as to whether the unit has been well looked after. Properly maintained the first class interior components and exterior paint jobs have a very long service life with excellent fit/finish.

Make a decision as to whether you want a mechanical Cummins C8.3 or the electronic ISC successor series. The mechanical engines were put in the 98's, later years have the ISC. Both are good engines, but the simplicity of the mechanical engine is a thing a beauty IMHO.

Our true repair costs have been minimal. We have never had a "show stopper" event while on the road.

The 98 we have is "overbuilt" for its intended purpose.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it all over again.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #4

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the comments. Glenn I am pretty sure most Diesel mechanics would know much more about Diesels than I. I grew up around Salvage Yards, Sprint Cars, Midgets, Late Model Stock cars. My dad tossed me a wrench at 12 on a Sunday afternoon and said rebuild that Offenhouser, needs to be running on Friday. All of my cars came out of the yard and had Salvage titles which were rebuilt by me and my father. All of that said I really don't know much about Diesel engines.

Mechanical things are very comfortable, but Diesels are another story. No exposure.

So I might feel better if a Diesel mechanic with a solid rep would look the powertrain over.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #5

At Least the 1st 2 and I think Glen hit the Nail- finding someone who has the knowledge --Experience and the Time to confirm your making a good purchase decision would be time consuming. Don't forget Service records. Me ? I didn't have any of the above on my purchase and it's been a learning curve from day one, but that was 16 yrs ago and My old Eagle is just were I want it-- I think !
Depending in the miles I would have a Blow-by test done as part of your due diligence. Advise ? Run Em- Sitting for long periods of time is tough on everything- Especially Tires.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

OK I'm a (Relative) Newbie compared to these guys above but we've owned our 2000 Eagle for just about two years now and although I followed most of the above rules for buying our Rig and I have some diesel experience we Still got plenty of surprises that no-one could have foreseen and a few we should have !!!

For the most part everything said is 100% correct, These coaches are seriously overbuilt and aside from some parts that will have to be replaced due to wear you won't outlive this Rig Period !
But there are things like the Battery pack and the Electrical system and the Plumbing that are hard to judge, no matter how much you know or how many hours you spend !
A; because a lot is hidden from sight ! and B; a lot more is just not fore-see-able (is that a word?) !

And unfortunately we found that out the hard way, The unit we bought had virtually new batteries and all electronics worked great except for a few of the Fans that we knew about and we had counted on replacing those !

When we got the MoHo home we actually managed to fix and restore all of the Fans in question saving us a bunch of money BUT within month's it became apperent that the "NEW" batteries where less then stellar and did not hold a charge very well ? these where Standard RV Deep Cycle 2C 6volt units and there where 4 of them, they should not go down in such a short time. we barely made it through the summer on these.
After the first winter with these batteries we Had to replace them !

Then there is the electrical system in the American Coach line of that Era, they had the all in one boxes where the Inverter, the Charger and the Auto Transfer Switch are all in one unit, Great idea ! till one of them breaks and you need repairs.
Of coarse it is fourteen years old but it hasn't got many hrs on it.
There's no replacement's and rebuilds cost around $2800-US plus shipping (that box is heavyyyyy!) +in our case they had to go across the country and across the border and that all adds up !!! And then there is the question do you want it again all in one???

As you might have guessed Ours went on the Fritz and I tried to fix it, I Thought I Fixed it, Three or Four times, but I got fooled every time !!!!! It's not so easy, these parts are delicate and the design is weak.

So Finally I am giving in and ordered $4700- Can. in parts to rebuild the whole system NOW That includes parts for an expansion of the Solar system that I started building last year.
Bigger Controller, 4 more panels (not included in price), better safeguards with breakers and lightning protectors and surge protectors etc.
Heavier cables and connectors and more isolation switches to isolate different sections of the system for times when working on it.

Of coarse there where many small things we found that needed our attention that normal on a rig so complicated but all that did not bother me that much even the above stuff is well worth the effort for owning such a beautiful coach !
But this next surprise was less easy to swallow!

I really thought I had done my job going over the coach checking it out, High and Low, on the roof and under floor, in the Basement and in the engine compartment ! This wasn't my first Rodeo I had bought trucks before, Big ones, Busses, Cars, Van's, Motorhomes no I'm not a curb dealer or a pro but I like changing vehicles and I do help others buy their's so I got pretty good at it and since this was my first Class A I knew I had to do a very thorough job.
I knew about delamination I had seen it plenty of times in smaller units so I looked very carefully allover the whole rig for any sign but found nothing, absolutely nothing !

Then at the end of the first summer we where cleaning up some stuff around the passenger seat against the wall where there is a magazine rack and above where the bottom of the valance is fastened, I decided to take the magazine rack of and took the screws out, to my surprise and horror there was virtually nothing left of them and these were brass screws ? This was just above the floor so I decided to look a bit farther and as I went up I found more rotten screws in the valence and lots of moisture in the foam around the seatbelt bolt halfway up the wall !

It looks like that whole section between the two windows from ceiling to floor is soaked,but just between the outside fibreglass and the inside panel, there was no sign of it anywhere and I have no Idea How or How Long or How to fix this !

Then of coarse there are the windows that are soso and the basement doors that have been adjusted twice and need to be adjusted again and two pieces of furniture that we'd love to replace with something more comfortable But that is all stuff that is supposed to be ongoing maintenance, Right ?

We're Still NOT unhappy with our MOHO and we can see a good future with it, but it isn't always that simple !

OK, What I am saying is that no matter how thorough you or any expert you bring can be it's potentially a 12 to 15 year old coach that Will hold a bunch of surprises of which hopefully the sum of those surprises will not be more than is reasonable to spend on the coach in question to bring it up to snuff for you to enjoy it for another couple of decades or so, (or at least 1 of those) ;-) !

I thought pretty hard about posting this but I think this is a fair assesment of what's Real !

Best regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Michael. I have a 98 American Dream that I purchase four years ago and I also run a Diesel Truck Repair Shop for 22 years and had done a lots of work on difference type of MH, that it be gas or DP. Lots of people our age that are retired or semi retired like myself and been around RV all there adult life went the time come to buy that retirement RV will look at two things, First what kind off budget they have and second how much travel there going to do or how much time in a year there going to spend with it? Myself I was looking for a 97 or 98 Eagle that haven seen any winter or salty road with a 325 mechanical Cummins engine. Those engine were the best ever build and last forever if taken care off. Also because having a Truck Shop where we also work on DP, I always like the floor plan and nice wood finish of the Eagle and Dream, and also like to work around them by upgrading some off the older system. Like Ed said, a older Rig will demand upgrading and repair but is way better build so you can do repair and have a solid unit. A newer rig will cost you more, maybe a bit less in repair and upgrade but rarely trouble free. All these rig need contain maintenance and keep up on repair even the newer one. So that said, buying a 40 ft plus rig will allow you to see the county, meet new friends and can be a new life style that can be fun. But no matter what you buy or how much you have to pay for what your looking for, leave yourself at lease 10 to 15% for unseen repair or maintenance over and above the cost of the unit.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

THANK YOU! I appreciate the honest comments and assessments without the histrionics that sometimes can invade a post. A detached candid assessment with solid evidence is always helpful. These comments are VERY helpful and will go quite a ways to helping me in the long run here.

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to say the diesel engine is unimportant, but odds are the engine itself is fine if the maintenance has been decent. You need a chassis mechanic to look at all aspects of the chassis, e.g. air suspension, steering, air brakes & compressor, chassis a/c compressor, etc. Most of this is just mechanics, but some heavy truck experience is needed as a guide.

Tires are a major factor too, and those big guys are expensive. RV tires often die of old age, so check the born-on date as well as tread and sidewall condition. 7-10 years is the outer limit.

Then , if you lack RV experience, you also want an RV house inspector, either a pro inspector or a mobile RV tech who can give it a once over.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Older coaches are often in need of both tires and batteries...check them as well as having the eng oil and trans fluid tested. The tests are inexpensive and can tell you a lot about those two systems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #11

We like to think we got a pretty good deal on our Coach paying only 55k for our 2001 2 years ago.
We already spend about 10 to 12 thousand so far over the last two years and I figure we'll likely spend another 8 to 10 before we're all done, that will include doing the floor and replacing the couch the passenger chair and the small recliner that's in there ! So 10 15% doesn't always do it
The Plan is to have it largely ready in Jan./ Feb. of next year when the wife Debbie is retiring.

By then we'll have a great well build and still cheap High Class Motor Home for relatively little money that will last us till we're done tripping and roaming and still be able to get some money for it ?

Welcome to the Club Michael and safe travels !

Regards,

Ed
Old 01-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #12

Ed
I know the feeling - back in 2000 I bought my 92 for 52 k with 38000 miles- to get it where I want it around another 20 k over the years - now at 205 on the clock it needs nothing .
"Until I wake it up and head south in 5 weeks " lol

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #13

Chuck,
That's the thing, we went to look at ours and even though the odometer was hardly legible every once and a while you could read the mileage of 36200 miles that's like barely broken in ?????
So how could it not be worth it to spend some serious money on it !!!

(of coarse the speedo/ Odometer has been replaced since, and I was able to confirm the mileage from a engine code reading that was done shortly before that by Cummins.)

Regards,

Ed