Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the fence Excursion 35B

looking for general input, ideas, 2 cents, or whatever you can add good or bad...

I currently own a 2006 bounder 32w f53 and I purchased it new and have put 45000 miles on it so far. I started in the RV community in 2005 with a toy hauler for weekend trips to Glamis and did not like the work involved with the Hauler loading and unloading etc. I upgraded to the bounder and an enclosed trailer and enjoyed that set up with the 4 of us back then..... Now I have 4 kids( getting bigger) and the weekend trips are less frequent because of kids sports and birthday parties every weekend (it seems like). We only go to the Dunes maybe twice a year now and are cramped for space in the 32w. In addition to keep going to the dunes I need a bigger trailer (diesel RV to tow). What has changed in the last 3 to 4 years is we go on the road for 2 plus weeks 2 times a year and 3-4 weeks during the summer and drive cross country. The bounder does fine and has not left me on the side of the road yet. I like to drive long days and just sleep at truck stops or rest stops to take naps..... I had looked at upgrading to a diesel 4 years ago and could not find entry level DP, just the FRED's and Sprinter types which would not work for us (towing). I was happy overall with the bounder until I ran into the Excursion 3b and now I have this itch that WON'T go away! my options below.

1. Keep the bounder (not sure how long it can sustain 3-5k mile trips without breaking down) sell the trailer and toys stop going to the sand dunes.
2. Sell RV and Toys and do more Cruises/ resorts instead
3.UPGRADE to 35 B and have option for bigger trailer if needed

I estimate my kids will want to RV for the next 10 years with me before they go to college, then maybe a few more years then they all will be gone.

I like the fewer but longer trips better than short weekends however I feel like the RV sits for months a time not being used is a waste.

Timing seems right as the 2014's are 37 percent off (based on the window numbers) I have not negotiated yet on trade.

Does it make since to upgrade only to use the RV 3-4 time year? or make do with what I have?

please advise
connor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV buying decisions are rarely logical...more emotional. A new DP is easy to get excited about. Are they really discounting that much? 37% of msrp?? Holy smokes!!

I'm a winnie guy so I have always liked the Journey. Recently looked at Tiffin and thought they were okay. There is NOTHING like the ride with air suspension!

I dunno, I'm like you, got a easy to afford coach that does everything, plus we are weekenders and short-trippers so not living in it. We used to go riding (dirtbikes) a couple of times a month but now the last kid is in college so it's just wifey and I and the 3 dogs.

I think I need to fund my 401K more. But that's just not any fun.

I'm no help at all. LOL.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #3

The Excursion with the front lowerable bunk is sure nice for the kids!!!!! In your shoes this is a no brainer. Have you seen the movie "RV" Robin williams puts going cross country in an rv just right and you will "loose" the kids on a cruise or at a resort.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We used to be top of the line Cruisers, Crystal Cruise Lines. Luxury all the way, and the price that goes with it! Then discovered Rv'ing in 2012. Bought a 24ft Sprinter Chassis MH. Loved it and put 24,000 miles on it in 15 months! Saw a Fleetwood 35B in December- went through all the real reasons "why not" and brought it home in January. Excellent decision - we absolutely love the coach and should have it for years and years. We now cruise the highways instead of the ocean! Go for it, you won't be disappointed with the coach.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
RV buying decisions are rarely logical...more emotional. A new DP is easy to get excited about. Are they really discounting that much? 37% of msrp?? Holy smokes!!

I'm a winnie guy so I have always liked the Journey. Recently looked at Tiffin and thought they were okay. There is NOTHING like the ride with air suspension!

I dunno, I'm like you, got a easy to afford coach that does everything, plus we are weekenders and short-trippers so not living in it. We used to go riding (dirtbikes) a couple of times a month but now the last kid is in college so it's just wifey and I and the 3 dogs.

I think I need to fund my 401K more. But that's just not any fun.

I'm no help at all. LOL.

Well I went down to start a punch list for my bounder to get it ready for our summer road trip. On the way down I took a detour r and decided to stop and look at the Exursion 35b but it was not at the lot (at a show). I test drove a 33d and a few observations after the test drive.

1. The generator up front was a little louder than I thought it would be
2. Brakes were touchy and took a little getting use to.
3. Different power curve vs the V10
4. Realized I could have a conversation with the front passenger while driving.
5. Still had some rattles and squeaks
7. handled great (the 35b has a longer wheelbase than the 33d)

The salesman honored the the show price of 129999.00, gave a great show interest rate of 3.99 But they would not give a fair trade in my opinion (30k trade) so I walked for now. NADA guide show 45-60k retail so I was hoping for more than 30k trade.

Question for 2013 and 2014 35B and 35C owners, what side is your closet side on? and do you have the pet window up front? The sales guys and the stickers on the coach say it's a 2014 but the slide is on the passenger side and no pet window (like a 2013) . IS it possible to have a 2013 model design and call it a 2014?

Steve
Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2014 Excursion 35B. Both of my slides are on the drivers side and yes, we have a pet window. If the 35B is indeed a 2014 - a price of $130K is fantastic. However, I don't think I would like the bedroom slide on the passenger side. There is not much space between the wall and the bed - and I'm glad the larger space is where the hall way enters the bedroom. I paid $165K and didn't get what I wanted for our 2012 Forest River Solera either .. but I still think we got a decent deal. Maybe not the best, but it is what it is. We are very happy with the coach and that is what matters.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I have a 2014 Excursion 35B. Both of my slides are on the drivers side and yes, we have a pet window. If the 35B is indeed a 2014 - a price of $130K is fantastic. However, I don't think I would like the bedroom slide on the passenger side. There is not much space between the wall and the bed - and I'm glad the larger space is where the hall way enters the bedroom. I paid $165K and didn't get what I wanted for our 2012 Forest River Solera either .. but I still think we got a decent deal. Maybe not the best, but it is what it is. We are very happy with the coach and that is what matters.
may I ask a few (hundred) questions?

How many people travel in your RV? DO you have enough space for clothes in the back? Do the dinette chairs fall over while driving? Best guess on your MPG so far? o
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor2002 View Post
may I ask a few (hundred) questions?

How many people travel in your RV? DO you have enough space for clothes in the back? Do the dinette chairs fall over while driving? Best guess on your MPG so far? o
We are just two now and two dogs. Yes, we do have enough room in the closet for clothes, but again, it is just two of us. We keep the dinette chairs under the bed and actually don't use them. We use the table in between the driver and passenger seats to put the laptop on and to eat. We also use the bar stools. We are actually getting between 12-13 mpg.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We are just two now and two dogs. Yes, we do have enough room in the closet for clothes, but again, it is just two of us. We keep the dinette chairs under the bed and actually don't use them. We use the table in between the driver and passenger seats to put the laptop on and to eat. We also use the bar stools. We are actually getting between 12-13 mpg.
Thanks

I really like the floor plan overall, thanks for input. How fast do you drive? How does it handle compared to your class C as far as wind? Do you have room to spare outside? Have you baked in the convection microwave? Does the microwave work off the inverter?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks

I really like the floor plan overall, thanks for input. How fast do you drive? How does it handle compared to your class C as far as wind? Do you have room to spare outside? Have you baked in the convection microwave? Does the microwave work off the inverter?

We fell in love with the floor plan as well. Different from other coaches. We typically go around 65 on the interstate. I have had it up to 75 without realizing it, however. The only problem I have with the handling is that I find I over correct when being passed by a semi or wind. So, next week, I purchased a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and having that put on. I think that will help and also if a blow out occurs, it will help keep the coach going in the right direction. My class C I had a heavier rear sway bar put on, so my Sprinter handled extremely well after that. I think the longer wheel base is much more stable feeling than the wheelbase on the 33, again, IMHO.

As far as storage - lots and lots - we don't have it filled up and have put almost everything that we may need ... at anytime! No, I haven't baked anything in the microwave. I have steamed chicken for the dogs and melted butter, and warmed coffee ... but that's about it! The microwave does not work with the inverter. The only thing that really does is the refrigerator and the outlet up front.

The refrigerator really runs the battery down - so if y'all are ones to boondock, you might want to install solar panels. When we can't hook up to any electricity, we will set the auto gen to come on when the batteries get too low. It works, but I just hate to run the gen that much and use the propane.

The other things I have done so far, to make it more comfortable: change the shower head to an Oxygenics; removed the two fantastic fans and replaced with automatic Maxx Air fans with remote control; added 3 inch foam topper on the bed (actually might not have needed to, but did it anyway).

Hope that helps ....
Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just came from a RV show and this coach is on the top of my list. I love the floor plan but now must take my new lust and have DH look into the things that are important to him. I'm all about floor plans, kitchen space and storage inside. The rest is up to him.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
We just came from a RV show and this coach is on the top of my list. I love the floor plan but now must take my new lust and have DH look into the things that are important to him. I'm all about floor plans, kitchen space and storage inside. The rest is up to him.

I drove one last week and it was nice. I picked up my gasser today to do some maintence and it was no comparison. WARNING if you own a gasser do not drive a diesel pusher unless you plan on buying one!

I got some items fixed today on my 2006 bounder.

1. Replaced 7 Luggage latches and used lithium grease on the rest. 100 percent improvement

2. replaced a drawer latch in kitchen

3. Purchased the wrong struts to hold up the doors. I think I need 80 lb 12 inch.

Still on the fence about trading up, wish the dealer could go up a little more (7k) on the trade and I think would pull the trigger.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Still on the fence about trading up, wish the dealer could go up a little more (7k) on the trade and I think would pull the trigger.
Oh if I were you I would be working on it if I wanted it bad enough. 7k is not really a lot of a distance to be a part from. I am sure there is wiggle room on both sides.

We don't have an RV at the moment. Our last was 2000 class C which we had to get rid of due to medical issues which are all cleared up and we are chomping at the bit to get back into one. If we did not have the issues before we would be trading up for sure.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I drove one last week and it was nice. I picked up my gasser today to do some maintence and it was no comparison. WARNING if you own a gasser do not drive a diesel pusher unless you plan on buying one!

Uh oh...you've been hooked. LOL. Once you drive one it's a real eye opener. I try to tell people this that are only looking at gas coaches and that are going to use them a lot and IMO there's no comparison.

My sis is loaded so they've had like 4 new motorhomes in the last 5 years. They bought a Voyage and hated the ride so traded it for a Tour 40. It's a single rear axle - I drove it for them from Buelton to Pismo Beach and it is amazing how nice they ride and how easy they are to drive. Anyway, they liked the new 42' better so traded for one of those, '12 or '13 and had so many problems with it after a year they traded it for a Entegra Cornerstone - the 45 footer. Geez, they've lost more in depreciation than most of us would spend for a motorhome. The Entegra is an amazing coach but I don't have that kind of coin to even think about a unit like that. They did get a deal though, but I'm sure they have mega-payments.

So if you're only seven grand a way from a decision then you're already there. Just find the right deal and do it. You won't be sorry. BTW, we were looking at the Allegro Reds - you might look around at the other coaches that are in that size range. Seems every body is building a mid-30's DP nowadays. It used be there was only the Journey, now there's a plethora of them.

Wifey and I have decided since we're just weekending in ours we'll use it while we're still working, then get a nice DP when we're ready to retire and just move into it. What a nice way to do a retirement. Plus we don't want a ten year old coach when we're ready to do some long term traveling.

Just throwing it out here....one of my favorite mid-size motorhomes was always the Monaco Knight. There was a 36 footer with a cummins big block and I always thought those were a bitchin' unit. I think the new ones have a maxxforce which I wouldn't want, but they ran CAT early on and then Cummins. Nice units.

Good luck and keep us posted.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote