Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Onan 4000 generator question

We just bought a 1995 fleetwood flair with the 454chevy motor. Everything checked out fine but the generator.

My question is when you try to start it fuel runs out of the carb by the air cleaner. Knowing how to work one motors and cars as we own to cars that we race allowed me to remove the carb and give it a much needed cleaning. While this helped some it did not cure the issue. I am looking to see if someone can help as to why this is taking place. Also what is the small sensor that bolts to the bottom of the carb. That part as well as the other part that holds the bowl on do what?

Thanks
duncanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanracing View Post
We just bought a 1995 fleetwood flair with the 454chevy motor. Everything checked out fine but the generator.

My question is when you try to start it fuel runs out of the carb by the air cleaner. Knowing how to work one motors and cars as we own to cars that we race allowed me to remove the carb and give it a much needed cleaning. While this helped some it did not cure the issue. I am looking to see if someone can help as to why this is taking place. Also what is the small sensor that bolts to the bottom of the carb. That part as well as the other part that holds the bowl on do what?

Thanks

You say there is a sensor mounted on the base of the carb.,could it possiable be a soleniod.

I know that some of the Onan 4000 have a solenoid fuel shut-off at that location.
heavyequipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
heavyequipt is right. This is a solonoid shutoff. You could have a bad float shutoff valve or more than likely, someone put on the wrong fuel pump. The fuel pump is a very low pressure pump. I believe it is a 2 1/2 psi pump.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #4

Thanks

Thank you both... I will check that out tonight. I am thinking it may be the bad float shut off valve, the generator only has 60 hours on it so hoping it's not the fuel pump, but I will check both.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Just to let you guys know.... 150.00 carb (new) and 30 min later we have a we are u and running. Thank for ever ones help

Tags
generator, onan