Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 11:22 PM   #1

Onan QD 8000 shut down high coolant temp

Anybody with a QD 8000 notice the rad cap,hose assembly kinked really bad. First time out this year and the genny shut down after about 5 min. Fault code 1 secondary code 33. High coolant temp. I topped off the surge tank before running the gen this spring. I recently removed the top cover on the gen to ponder another issue with the auto start function and noticed the rad hose pretty much kinked right off. Thinking to myself how is the coolant gonna flow back and fourth from the surge tank with the hose like that. Seems to me the hose is way to long contemplated cutting it shorter but decided not to. I tested the unit after I had finished cleaning the wire harness plugs and it started and ran normal and shut down after 15min like it always does( this is my auto start issue, supposed to run for 60 min) why all of a sudden now would it shut down, Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 05:15 AM   #2

Early last year, I changed the oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, and antifreeze on our Onan 8000QD. Then late last year, the generator would quit and show the same code, 33. I did the same thing you did, but that did not solve the problem. So, I opened the radiator fill cap, which is under a plate, and realized that the radiator was low on fluid. So I added fluid until full, and restarted the generator. It ran like a top. I learned that the radiator needed to be "burped" after changing the antifreeze.

Be sure to check the fluid in the radiator itself along with the fluid in the overflow tank.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Early last year, I changed the oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, and antifreeze on our Onan 8000QD. Then late last year, the generator would quit and show the same code, 33. I did the same thing you did, but that did not solve the problem. So, I opened the radiator fill cap, which is under a plate, and realized that the radiator was low on fluid. So I added fluid until full, and restarted the generator. It ran like a top. I learned that the radiator needed to be "burped" after changing the antifreeze.

Be sure to check the fluid in the radiator itself along with the fluid in the overflow tank.
Yup I went and checked and it was low in the rad. About 3/4 Ltr. Seems like a design flaw with the hose kinked like that. There was enough in the surge tank to top it off but it wouldn’t take it when needed. Any way topped it right and then ran it under load with the cap off ,with the hose stretched right out and it works fine now. Tks for the input.
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #4

Your lucky. Have a 7500 in my 06 Discovery and also had the high coolant temp come up. Changed the thermostat on it and it was lock-tite or welded in cuz that thing just WOULDNT COME OUT. Broke the thermostat housing in the process. Now its coming back with more codes like too high crank speed etc. Only has about 1,300 hrs on it.
Buslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan