Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Original House Batteries

We are the second owners of a 2008 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree Sport. It's the 25 foot model. It needs new house batteries. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the capacity of the original batteries were rated at?

If not can you make a recommendation based on your experience with the same unit?

Thanks in advance.
BT2 Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #2

For longest life, you want the highest capacity you can fit and afford in there.

The more capacity, the less of it will be used each time. That equals longer life.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am pretty sure you do not want whatever was OEM at the time .

Step 1
I assume you have two existing house batteries? Measure the total Length Width and Height available in your compartment for the new batteries. Not of existing batteries.

Step 2
Ask yourself if you are the type to do regular maintenance on battery? Add water etc. Your answer will determine if you get flood lead (cheaper) or AGM more expensive but maintenance free.

Assumption - Lithium is extreme cost that you are not interested in now, as if you were; you would not have this battery question.

Recommendation - Buy AGM batteries so it is less likely you can do damage to them.

Step 3
Research vendors / mfgs that sell RV Batteries for Group size that fits what learned in Step 1.

Assumption - you can get two Group 31 size batteries to fit.

Recommendation

Lowest cost AGM - Buy the Duracell Dual Marine / RV Group 31s at Sams or Batteries Plus. about $400 for two at Sams

Best value - (what I have done) Buy the Solar 125ah Pure Deep Cycle Group 31s from WMax. about $510 - $600 for two depending on where you buy. I bought direct from Mfg.

Other good choices of Mgs, Windy Nation, Universal, Lifeline etc. But nobody has told me of a better deal than the 250ah and $500 I got for the Military grade VMax tanks. They ship to you at no extra charge and based on your state you may not have to pay tax
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
YC1

Measure the hole/space and fill them. You will never regret having as much as it can hold. They are just buckets of marbles/electrons and the bigger the bucket the better.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

I picked up 2, GP31 maintance free, flooded batteries from Sams Club.

Not AGM, just flooded batteries without caps. They cost less then 1/2 the cost of AGMs and being maintance free, they don't need any.

I have had them in service for 4 years and many dry camping nights. They seem to be going strong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I picked up 2, GP31 maintance free, flooded batteries from Sams Club.

Not AGM, just flooded batteries without caps. They cost less then 1/2 the cost of AGMs and being maintance free, they don't need any.

I have had them in service for 4 years and many dry camping nights. They seem to be going strong.
How many ahs and what costs? the price I paid $250/each for my AGMs is dramatically less than the cost of some other AGMs I have seen. No core charge, no tax.

For the record, my stock Group 24s still work ( 2 1/2 years old & 65ah) and are going strong, but I just had it with the water add etc etc. Any sealed battery is valid option in my mind. For those that are so inclined, floods with caps can be fine too. The Deep cycles I purchased are rated to last up to 8 years.

There is no one best answer, but for me it is my recommendation to the OP, as it was my conclusion and backed up by my money because I have just purchased those VMax tanks (they are in transit now . They are pure deep cycles and made 100% for solar \ house applications. No redundant automotive posts to make it less likely for the novice to short something out fooling around in that compartment. So in short, there can be no negative with the SLR 125ah VMax tanks other than they do cost more than some flood acids; but a lot less than other pure deep cycles? If I was trying to go lowest cost and be AGM; I would have bought the Duracell's for $179 at Sams. FWIW, with the new batteries I will set my AGS to start Onan at 12.4vdc to see how long I can run. I may be able to go as high as 12.5 or 12.6 and still get a full day which is way more than I need.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries