RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #631
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Need chassis battery advice...

Decided to start the main engine yesterday, just because...

Note: Coach is still "stationary" during the remodel. There are too many things loose (e.g., washing machine not secured, cabinets in the middle of the floor, etc.) to drive this anywhere.

The engine turned over very slowly about 1-2 times then nothing. I have a plug-in 12V cigarette type adapter for 2 USB plugs. It has a voltmeter on it that displayed about 12 volts. After a few starting attempts this morning, I think it read about 10 volts. Yup, the batteries are weak.

For fun, I tried the momentary switch on the dash that is the battery boost. But, since I only have a relatively small, single 12V battery in there temporarily, it did not do much.

The chassis batteries are two 12-volt maintenance free batteries wired in parallel. I am guessing that they are about 10 years old. Yup, they are due.

I believe they are SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries.

For now, I will simply try to charge these in place. I connected a small charger that is giving them about 3.5 amps of charge. Since I do not need to move the coach right now, I will see what happens. It may take a day or two at that rate, but time is not an issue right now.

I do want "maintenance-free" batteries. These are hard to reach and will be a pain to replace as it is.

What I do need to know is:

1) What replacements should I look for when it is time to replace them?

2) What does the "S" in "31S" mean?

No rush on this as the coach is parked at home.

Thanks!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #632

Hello Charles !
I believe the Letter signifies the performance parameter of the Battery.
I Always use Duracell - seem to get 7 to 8 yrs out of them- I think Your Batteries are Toast.
Great Job on you Coach !!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #633
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Welding cable for batteries?

Chassis battery update: I used a small charger (about 4 amps) to charge the two 12V chassis batteries for about 3 days.

The main engine started fine. A couple of days later, still started fine.

So, the battery replacement can wait until more of the house remodel is done and is ready for the road.

So, thanks for the feedback.

Meanwhile, I am considering changing some of the battery cables. They probably have been in there for 30 years (1991) and look pretty dirty. Also, the new batteries for the house will have a different layout, so new cables will be required there. And, new wiring from/to the planned inverter/chargers is on the acquisition list.

I have read multiple times that "battery cables" can be replaced with "welding cables." They are much more flexible, so much easier to maneuver and install.

During my initial search I am finding at least two types of welding cables:

1) Class K (30 AWG strands;comes with red or black insulation)
2) Class M (34 AWG strands;usually has orange insulation)

From what I am reading, the Class M cable, with 34 AWG strands, is more flexible.

Is there a preference?

The plan is to cut the cable myself, use a hydraulic crimper to install copper ends, and use colored heatshrink to protect exposed area near the ends.

There is also marine cable.

Is marine cable a better alternative?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #634

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Charles, i have always bought the pre made cables from the farm stores, for my semi's and for my MH's when I needed new cables! Way less expensive, and for what it's worth, they will last just as long as any other cable! They come in all sorts of sizes, colors, and length's!
Add it all up, by the time you buy the hydraulic crimper, the welding cable, and the ends, for a one time use, and the premade cables? Your choice? Rail!
Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #635
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Charles, i have always bought the pre made cables from the farm stores, for my semi's and for my MH's when I needed new cables! Way less expensive, and for what it's worth, they will last just as long as any other cable! They come in all sorts of sizes, colors, and length's!
Add it all up, by the time you buy the hydraulic crimper, the welding cable, and the ends, for a one time use, and the premade cables? Your choice? Rail!
Thanks, Rail.

I already have the hydraulic crimper. I will be wiring up new inverters, batteries, etc. in locations unknown. I like the idea of adding a lug on one end, running the other end to its new location, then custom cutting to length.

The idea of using welding cable is the added flexibility of the cable itself. I understand that 4/0 battery cable is much harder to work with than 4/0 welding cable.

Maybe using black cables, then colored heat shrink to identify the polarities?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 AM   #636

Spartan Chassis
Just wondering whether your odometer issue was resolved and if so, how? Do you have an e-mail address direct to Don at ISSPRO. Thanks
hannuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #637
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannuva View Post
Just wondering whether your odometer issue was resolved and if so, how? Do you have an e-mail address direct to Don at ISSPRO. Thanks
Speedometer issue not yet resolved. Other projects have taken a higher priority.

The contact information that I have for Don can be found in Post #79 of this thread.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #638

Battery harness

Iíve recently bought a 1991 American eagle coach and all of thee batteries were all stolen out of it and thee harness is laying on the the ground, so if u have pics of yours or how to wire it back up would be Awsome, so I can get her started
Gilley eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:17 AM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley eagle View Post
Iíve recently bought a 1991 American eagle coach and all of thee batteries were all stolen out of it and thee harness is laying on the the ground, so if u have pics of yours or how to wire it back up would be Awsome, so I can get her started
Not sure if this will help, a really good photo is tough due to the location inside a really small compartment. Hopefully the thief didn't cut the main cables as they aren't any too long.

The swing out tray has the engine batteries, 2-12V with 12V output. On mine the engine batteries have several small wires that attach to the neg. terminal. These may have been added by the PO or they may have factory, not sure.

On the bottom 4-6V golf cart batteries with 12V output from all 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach batteries.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	319911   Click image for larger version

Name:	chasiss batteries.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	319912  

mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #640

Looks like that could be very helpful, going to start on hupty sumptuous Monday so Iíll let u no how it went, just hooking up chassy batteries first. ..thx u so much
Gilley eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #641

Cwk
IMO (may differ from others but read the link)
Marine cable will be your BEST cable for batty cables especially if around FLA battys. On marine cable each strand is tinned and will significantly reduce corrosion around any connection. Ancor wire is a good mfg.

Equally important is the terminal lug used. The best are power lugs not starter lugs. Power lugs have a longer and thicker barrel that gets crimped... room for 2 crimps. Also tinned copper lugs much better than bare copper. FTZ power lugs a good supplier.
Here is a great link. He also has other very good ones on crimpers & other (marine) electrical topics applicable to MHs.
https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote