Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompands View Post
Charles, Were you aware of how much work and repairs were needed when you purchased this RV ? I'm just curious because I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't afford one of those $100k models (I probably could, but wouldn't), I paid $13k for my 97 Fleetwood Discovery, and some days I feel as though I was taken. Then other days I'm ok with the purchase and just keep makin repairs. Aside from the purchase price , Ive put at least $5k in this in just a couple weeks. I've repaired a lot already, Not as much as you, but quite a bit of little things. I have to do the "air leak tour" soon. I just sometimes wonder, if I would of took this on if I knew all that I know now. Whats your thoughts?
Older coaches cost money to bring up to date, newer coaches cost money in repairs because they are not built well. The big difference is do you want the quality you can control or are you willing to take what they give you for huge money.

I have a 1991 Eagle just like Charles, I probably paid too much initially, but knowing how well this coach is made I'd do it again. I've spent a lot of money in upgrades and replacing worn out stuff. Hey, it's 30 years old and stuff just wears out, you got to understand that going in. And for the money I have in it you couldn't get anything even close to it's quality. And I have enjoyed the hell out of using it.
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 05:53 AM   #674

tompands,
It all depends on how you look at it. I consider our 1987 Wanderlodge not only as an RV but it is my hobby. I actually enjoy working on it and the satisfaction of making it my own. Yes these older units require maint and upgrading. That being said ( in my opinion, which I realize may only matter to me ) they are head and shoulders above the newer RV's that have computer controlled, non repairable or at best complicated to repair everything. REALLY ? A computer controlled toilet.
I find what works for me is to concentrate on one thing at a time and I don't put a limitation on how long it will take to accomplish that task. That way I don't find working on the bus overwhelming and I can enjoy the ride. For example I polished my wheels. That took a week and they look great. For me that was a source of great satisfaction. ( if you decide to polish wheels look at Evan Stegar's videos on youtube, really helpful. The man is a real craftsman. )
I guess what I am trying to say is to slow down, enjoy caring for your RV as much as using it and remember when you see a new $400,000.00 unit that if a computer part fails they can't use the toilet until the dealer orders the parts and then schedules a warranty repair appointment in a month, or several so that maybe a poorly trained boob can be turned loose inside your RV.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
tompands,
It all depends on how you look at it. I consider our 1987 Wanderlodge not only as an RV but it is my hobby. I actually enjoy working on it and the satisfaction of making it my own. Yes these older units require maint and upgrading. That being said ( in my opinion, which I realize may only matter to me ) they are head and shoulders above the newer RV's that have computer controlled, non repairable or at best complicated to repair everything. REALLY ? A computer controlled toilet.
I find what works for me is to concentrate on one thing at a time and I don't put a limitation on how long it will take to accomplish that task. That way I don't find working on the bus overwhelming and I can enjoy the ride. For example I polished my wheels. That took a week and they look great. For me that was a source of great satisfaction. ( if you decide to polish wheels look at Evan Stegar's videos on youtube, really helpful. The man is a real craftsman. )
I guess what I am trying to say is to slow down, enjoy caring for your RV as much as using it and remember when you see a new $400,000.00 unit that if a computer part fails they can't use the toilet until the dealer orders the parts and then schedules a warranty repair appointment in a month, or several so that maybe a poorly trained boob can be turned loose inside your RV.
My thoughts exactly, the RV is here for me to enjoy even while repairing something. The build quality is far superior to the newer ones.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:24 PM   #676
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did I know exactly what items would need repair/replacement before I purchased? Some items, yes. Most, no. I did have a fellow RV'er with Class A experience help me evaluate and test-drive the coach before the purchase. We both felt good about the coach.

Tires, batteries, water heater repair, new TV's, LED lighting, new fridge, and few other items were definitely on the original list. That's over $5K right there with tires being a major cost. Keep in mind that tires and batteries are an ongoing maintenance cost regardless of the age of the RV.

Most of the other issues have been relatively low in cost. Whenever possible I do my own work. That keeps the costs low, and typically reduces the turn-around time for repairs. My RV is not waiting in line at some RV dealership hoping that they even remembered to order the parts. Or, hoping that the guy working on it has a clue of what he is doing.

To be fair, a lot of the future upgrades that I previously wrote about in this thread are definitely above and beyond. (A roof full of solar panels, LiFePO4 batteries, 240VAC mini-split heating and cooling, etc.) However, they are upgrades that I would want to do even on a $100K RV. Are these necessary upgrades? No. But they will enhance the way we want to use the RV.

By purchasing an older RV, other folks have paid for all of the depreciation. My initial cost was about 3% of the original MSRP in current dollars. That was a lot less than $100K. This leaves lots of room for upgrades.

I started this project buy purchasing a solid, premium quality Diesel Pusher. I enjoy doing my own work especially knowing that it is done correctly. I do take the time to research issues that are new to me. I also know when to use professional services when the work is out of the realm of my abilities, knowledge, or equipment.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Time will tell, but at this point my answer is yes. Do I feel I got a good deal from the seller? I think it was fair to both of us, so yes.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
A crew of 4, including the business owner, attacked and completed the task in about 2 hours.
I wish I was in your area. So far my windshield replacement adventure has been terrible. I have been waiting for almost 2 months to get this done and I have to drive it to a shop, leave it for 3 days, then go back and get it. Long story short, your story sounds like a dream!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #678

Winnebago Owners Club
We had our windshield replaced. Took it to the shop which is quite close because they have all of the things they need there. Previous time we had it done at the house and it was a bit of a gong show. Installation was OK but they really had to work at it.

This time we had a 6" width of XPEL film put around the edges of the windshield. My observation is the chips at the edge of the windshield are the major source of cracks.
Best part is the insurance company agreed and paid for the installation.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #679

Just beginning

Howdy:

I have a DP 1991 American Eagle. We pickup from Conroe Texas and Drove to Galveston Texas, about 114 miles. It ran well. First time I ever drove something so big. Fun but a little scary at first.

I looked up and read as much as I could.

Well I did not get chance to go to the RV for at least a week.

I was very proud of myself for cleaning out the air filter, but when I tried to start it, no go. Ran out of time and had to leave.

A very nice Mobile RV person instructed me on the Auxliary start, but still no start.

I will go to check again in a couple of Days.
Questions:

1. Can I charge batteries with a 12 automotive charger?
2. Can I jump it with my truck, 12 v battery?
3. How do I start the generator?

Problems:

How do I access the generator?

Side panel passenger side has a water pump, a battery below it and some horns. There two switches, on is on/off the other is lite side that is on/off.

Horn does not work.
dash board lights do not work when I turn headlights on.

Can the generator be running during driving?

Let me stop here. Any help is appreciated.

Looking for operator manual, and service manuals.

Thanks for so much help on your posting, I am learning alot.

Baldo
Baldo Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #680

Your batteries are probably dead from age and or because it sat there with a draw on them because you didn’t know to unhook them or keep a maintainer on them.
Look for the chassis disconnect switch at the back of the coach by the engine and the house disconnect in the battery bay and turn both off. Put a good 12v charger on the house batteries. The house batteries are probably 6v but hooked together 2 by 2 to make 12v.

The generator is behind the front cap on a slideout that is probably manual and has a clasp that holds it in under the front in the middle. Only real reason at this point to slide it out would be to check the fluid levels. It won’t be easy to slide out.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #681

I'd also make sure the water level was good on the 6V house batteries before I tried to charge them

But if you just purchased coach, your probably about to purchase batteries as well...

You can try and hook up jumper cables to the 2 12v chassis batteries, but let your vehicle run a while before trying to start the coach...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #682

Our "New" 1991 American Eagle - A Work in Progress

Mack is correct.
Sorry my phone died earlier trying to add more.
The house batteries are what will start the generator. If you get the generator started let it run a good while, turn the chassis batteries switch back on and hold the auxiliary start button while trying to start the coach.

Yes you can run the generator while driving. Edit: It won’t run if there’s less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

You have a steep learning curve ahead of you, but everyone goes through it. You just kind of jumped into the deep end with a blindfold on lol.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:51 AM   #683

Your Generator (DKDFJ-Onan ) has its own independent Battery and is charged by the Alternator on the Genset. In your case a Multimeter is your best friend- Check the current voltage on each of the 3 Battery sets before charging. Should be a handle on the front below the Bumper- Pull that forward and out at the same time and Genny should slide out---a little muscle is required- Feel free to ask questions--maybe Charles will chime in .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:00 AM   #684

My 91 Eagle has a small switch inside the compartment where the generator battery is, flip the switch and the generator slides out with air pressure from the brake system. But you need to have brake air pressure for this to operate.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:06 AM   #685

Mike --I've never seen an Air Slide on the early Eagles-That's rare. I know that 93's on up had an electric Slide Out.
I fabbed up this Slide sometime back >https://youtube.com/shorts/4I-ur9ru0As
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Mike --I've never seen an Air Slide on the early Eagles-That's rare. I know that 93's on up had an electric Slide Out.
I fabbed up this Slide sometime back >https://youtube.com/shorts/4I-ur9ru0As
Well it sure does have one and didn't know they came any other way.