RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outlets not working

I have a 1999 Flair... I have two outlets that are not working. One is the hall across from the bathroom, and one above the seat behind the passenger seat. I have a meter to check them, and they were working a week ago. I suspect there is a fuse issue? None of the circuit breakers are tripped, and I reset the GFI. How do I tell if one of the 12v fuses is out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #2

12 volt system is totally separate from the 120 volt system. Fuses never feed a 120 volt outlet.

When you tested the GFI, did it 'pop' out and then when you pushed the restore button did it stay in?

In my '94 Bounder, I had several instances of electrical dropping out on me. One was caused by a bad outlet intermittantly shorting out on the patio, another time one of the IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) type junction boxes decided to open circuit and it was inside a wall all boarded up. Had to get creative there. Another time got smoke and flame from behind the CB box during the day...turned out they'd used the wrong size wire nuts which had come loose and dropped off leading to shorts. That was exciting. Didn't take much to repair.

So if I were you, I'd check carefully every nook and cranny for another GFI just in case there's another one hidden somewhere...like in the kitchen. My Bounder had two, bathroom and kitchen. My Winnie has 5!

Make sure the GFI's actually pass the voltage on even if it stays actuated (they won't if there's a wiring problem downstream or if there's no supply voltage) by pulling it out and measuring (slim chance but worth checking).

If none of this helps, you might be looking at narrowing down the lost voltage to a certain section. Then bypassing that or digging out the outlets and checking the IDCs for solid connections. Make a drawing as you go along. Helps to have in the future.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFretz View Post
I have a 1999 Flair... I have two outlets that are not working. One is the hall across from the bathroom, and one above the seat behind the passenger seat. I have a meter to check them, and they were working a week ago. I suspect there is a fuse issue? None of the circuit breakers are tripped, and I reset the GFI. How do I tell if one of the 12v fuses is out?
By "outlets" I assuming you mean the 120 volt outlets? If so, it won't be a 12 volt fuse issue.

GIF is the first thing that pops to mind. Make sure you have flipped or pushed the GIF (and there may be more than one of those) off and reset.

Second thing is does your Flair have a inverter. where you change 12 volt battery power into 120 volt outlet power? If so, make sure it is either turned on, and/or working. Most of those inverters have circuit breakers somewhere on them. The breakers could just be push button type.

Next I would check the actual outlet. It has been known that loose screw, or even a defective outlet, especially the push the wire in and friction holds it there go bad. I've changed several of the ones in my coach to standard household outlets.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

The 120V stull if all daisy chained. Not working usually means a bad connection. Those cheezy outlets use push ons to grab the wire. They go loose after a while. Start pulling outlets off one at a time and check for loose wires. Of course power off. If you find one or more bad, go buy new ones that use screw terminals and start replacing them. Once a 120V wife gets loose it can generate a lot of heat. Heat can start fires. Well, you get the idea.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Think I found the culprit... one outlet has wire loose in it when I took it off, and can't get it to seed back. Ordered a new unit, so we'll see....
Old 09-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got a replacement outlet that is the same type of self-contained unit.

However, try as I might, I can not get those wires to go down those connector slots... is there some tool or trick to this?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I got a replacement outlet that is the same type of self-contained unit.

However, try as I might, I can not get those wires to go down those connector slots... is there some tool or trick to this?
A picture or link to the type of receptacle would help.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Self Contained Receptacle

If you do not have the required Wirecon tool (HA!), then using a flat screwdriver you can push the wire into the appropriate slots, at least to get them started, if you have two cables to install it just is that much more harder. Once in (or started) then using a C clamp and small wood pieces (for scratch protection), just squeeze the back cover on until it snaps tight.

A hokey system that I do not like, but unless you can install a shallow box and conventional receptacle...
Old 09-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks... I did use the clamps and two pieces of wood with an insert that I had but did not need. I found a youtube video explaining how to do it using those.

Put it to the test...l got the wires in, and it works.... outlet problem solved!
Old 09-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Good Job! I still think there should be an easier way.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks... I did use the clamps and two pieces of wood with an insert that I had but did not need. I found a youtube video explaining how to do it using those.

Put it to the test...l got the wires in, and it works.... outlet problem solved!
Love it when a plan comes together.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks... I'll save the second outlet I used for future use if I have to replace another outlet! $10 for the outlet is a deal compared to the cost of that Wirecon tool LOL