Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Overhead/Kitchen Cabinet Dividers

We just purchased a 2012 Discovery 36J and love it. However we've noticed what has to be a common issue with other coaches.

The overhead/kitchen cabinets don't have a common wall between them to prevent items from sliding all the way to the front/back as you travel. Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this?

My thought was to install a divider between the back wall and the stile where the doors are hinged.

I've seen spring loaded/tension dividers available from several sources, but at $24 apiece, it seems there may be a better way...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am pretty happy with a combination of shelving. I've attached pics from a couple that are like the ones we're using. Check some of the large grocery/household stores (in our neighborhood, that is Meijer). That is where I purchased most of them.
I used one adjustable shelf to make it all fit. They are full depth when placed in the cabinet one direction and closer to half-depth when the other direction. We have even doubled up on the non-adjustable one to create a larger shelf with room under for cans, etc. When used half deep, we can put a few items towards the doors , if desired. We also leave a little room between the shelves if we want to put in taller, more substantial items. It has worked well for us.
Attached Images

Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

I used similar added shelving and in between i stand my cutting board or top of a plastic shoe box storage container to make dividers.... I also use lots of plastic crates or boxes of all sizes to store things in.... These can be stacked with cups glasses, food etc.... I even have crates to go into my frig...
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

I used ultra thin double sided carpet tape from HD and some 99¢ store rubberized shelf liner on the bottom of all my cabinets and shelves.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
We just purchased a 2012 Discovery 36J and love it. However we've noticed what has to be a common issue with other coaches.

The overhead/kitchen cabinets don't have a common wall between them to prevent items from sliding all the way to the front/back as you travel. Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this?

My thought was to install a divider between the back wall and the stile where the doors are hinged.

I've seen spring loaded/tension dividers available from several sources, but at $24 apiece, it seems there may be a better way...
hi, we use the cut down box bottoms from grocery store, WM used for the cat food, small canned goods....pre cut at store @ 2" bottoms, fit perfectly in upper cabinets where there is no divider....lite weight....free
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Joe--I'm not sure how well the spring loaded dividers would work. I'm like the others...I use plastic containers for some things and the rest I just "let slide."
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

Nothing slides with the rubberized shelf liner if it is secured with double sided tape. When I first put it in, it would move every time I moved something in the cabinet. With the super thin carpet tape, it is like I sprayed the cabinet shelf with rubber.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencebuster View Post
I am pretty happy with a combination of shelving. I've attached pics from a couple that are like the ones we're using. Check some of the large grocery/household stores (in our neighborhood, that is Meijer). That is where I purchased most of them.
I used one adjustable shelf to make it all fit. They are full depth when placed in the cabinet one direction and closer to half-depth when the other direction. We have even doubled up on the non-adjustable one to create a larger shelf with room under for cans, etc. When used half deep, we can put a few items towards the doors , if desired. We also leave a little room between the shelves if we want to put in taller, more substantial items. It has worked well for us.
Thanks Fencebuster, and sorry for the delay in responding - life got busy for a few days. Some excellent illustrations on how to proceed. We live in a very small town, so we'll have to check out the "big city" or let my DW hit the internet sales after we measure a bit more so what we get will actually fit.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
I used similar added shelving and in between i stand my cutting board or top of a plastic shoe box storage container to make dividers.... I also use lots of plastic crates or boxes of all sizes to store things in.... These can be stacked with cups glasses, food etc.... I even have crates to go into my frig...
Hi Diwizi - sorry for the delay in responding - life got busy for a few days. Some good tips! My DW has a large selection of plastic bins - she's SO organized - that we can use as you suggest. I like the idea of using a cutting board as a divider.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Nothing slides with the rubberized shelf liner if it is secured with double sided tape. When I first put it in, it would move every time I moved something in the cabinet. With the super thin carpet tape, it is like I sprayed the cabinet shelf with rubber.
Hi Dunner. Sorry for the delay in responding - life got busy for a few days. My DW bought a bunch of the rubberized shelf lining - guess I need to get busy and buy some double sided tape! Great idea, and that should stop things form sliding around!

Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Joe--I'm not sure how well the spring loaded dividers would work. I'm like the others...I use plastic containers for some things and the rest I just "let slide."
Hi SarahW - sorry for the delay in responding - life got busy for a few days. After considering the spring loaded dividers, I can see that it could be problematic. We saw some of the spring loaded rods for use in a refrigerator to prevent items from falling out when opening the door after traveling - may be useful in that role.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

What I got from HD was Roberts Double-Sided Carpet Seam Tape and is reinforced with fiberglass string. It's 2.5"x15' and you only need a ~1" square piece in each corner. I forget what I paid, but if the cost and amount is excessive, try Staples. They have several kinds of double-sided tape. I liked this as it is super sticky.

I also used it to secure some office carpet tiles to my upper entrance steps and a few other things.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:

You could try making a paper pattern of the divider by folding a piece to the size and shape you need. Then transfer this to a piece of thin plywood, paneling, etc. Cut the divider out and glue, nail, or staple a cleat to the edge. these cleats can then be glued, nailed, or stapled to the cabinet stile and back panel. Or you could use velcro so that the divider can be adjusted or removed in the future.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
You could try making a paper pattern of the divider by folding a piece to the size and shape you need. Then transfer this to a piece of thin plywood, paneling, etc. Cut the divider out and glue, nail, or staple a cleat to the edge. these cleats can then be glued, nailed, or stapled to the cabinet stile and back panel. Or you could use velcro so that the divider can be adjusted or removed in the future.
An excellent suggestion. Time to fire up the woodworking tools! I love turning wood into sawdust....