Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Pace Arrow 37C Questions

I have not been on for several months, In September I sold my 97 Safari Continental and have been looking all winter for a replacement. I recently bought a 2004 Pace Arrow 37C that is in excellent condition, it just had the brake recall done last year. The safari had a 50 amp service with house batteries and a inverter. I could turn on everything in the coach at one time and not come close to the power limit. I have not used my new coach yet but I have read several post about having a 30 amp service and how it manages the power load by switching water heater or refrigerator to gas or shutting down the compressor on one of the A/C unit's to keep everything balanced. My main question is how satisfied are other owners with this system, does it do it seamlessly and you not notice it or is it something you constantly are trying to figure out what to do next or be in overload.
I can easily convert the dedicated 20 amp supply from the generator to the rear A/C to a plug/rec. setup and run a 20 amp drop-cord to the supply outlet, but is this necessary or will it work OK where the wife and I will be satisfied.
Thank for any suggestions or comments.
tpdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

In my 01 Winn I had 30 amp. I was able to run both ac compressors and if we needed to run something like a hair dryer or microwave we usually manually turned off a compressor. I'm funny about letting the EMS do its thing. But that's just me. Anyway to sum up you'll be fine especially if you do the extra plug on the ac.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood's added on 30 AMP Energy management system.
Works real well. You can run both AC with it but if you turn the microwave on the rear AC or front AC or maybe both will shut off. In over 10 years of mine full time. I never seen the switching of water heater or refrigerator to gas. It doesn't do that.

I have been in campgrounds that the power was low like 105-108V and too keep one AC running. I have turned the electric water heater and switched the refrigerator to gas. Because with that low power the AC will just keep shedding and not try to start.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are going to be rather unhappy with just 30A after being accustomed to 50A (which actually was 100A total - twin 50A power lines). Stuff is going to switch off all the time unless you drastically change your power usage habits.

If the EMS switches off electric to the fridge, the fridge automatically goes to propane, but that is the ONLY appliance that does that. The water heater is just Off, until you manually turn on the LP gas switch. Ditto for the microwave and wsher/dryer, and they don't have an alternate LP gas mode. Your wife won't be able to use her hair dryer while the a/c or microwave is running, maybe can't use an electric coffee maker either, and other nuisances like that.

I'm not saying 30A is unusable, but once you get used to having more it is hard to go back to major conservation mode. And nice as the EMS is, it doesn't even begin to make up for all the differnces.

I have a 50A coach that has an EMS that kicks in whenever we are plugged to 30A shore power. It helps, but it sure isn't a panacea!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Your wife won't be able to use her hair dryer while the a/c or microwave is running, maybe can't use an electric coffee maker either, and other nuisances like that.
Gary it is evident that you have never had a Fleetwood with a 30AMP Energy management system MH.

Fleetwood put 11K AC in the rear and 13.5K AC in the front with a ducted system. They used Coleman Mach PS AC's that the 13.5K runs on high using 11 AMP's and the rear less.

I replaced my rear 11K last June with a new 13.5K PS. And can still run both at the same time. I only run the rear one to keep the whole MH cool unless it gets over 88-89º outside.

I never have had problem making coffee or running a hair dryer at the same time one AC is on. And I do it all the time without any problem.
Yes using a microwave will shut off a running AC. But it will auto start back up, after the short use of the microwave is over.

Granted a 50 AMP system would be better. But a 30 AMP with EMS would not be a deal breaker. I have full timed for over 13 years in MH's with 30 AMP and the first 3 years with one that didn't have a EMS.

Even with 30 or 50 AMP it makes no difference what you can run if the campground has low voltage. A 30 AMP probably will run one 11K or 13.5K AC on low V when a 50 AMP can't run one 15K AC.

But I have never had a 50 AMP MH and probably never will know what I am missing. I probably am missing a higher electric bill at those monthly site that electric is extra $$$ by the Kwh.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the reasons I bought my Pace Arrow was the shed system. I have had the Pace for over six years and love the 30 amp system. When the AC sheds, the the fan continues to run, so you won't even no it happened unless you look at the panel and see the red shed light blinking. Both AC's still run, but the front compressor will run for eight minutes and the rear will run for five and back and fourth. Most times both AC's will run full time unless you you use a high amp appliance. If you have ever tried to put up a fifty amp cord at twenty five degrees, You will know why I love this system.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
One of the reasons I bought my Pace Arrow was the shed system. I have had the Pace for over six years and love the 30 amp system. When the AC sheds, the the fan continues to run, so you won't even no it happened unless you look at the panel and see the red shed light blinking. Both AC's still run, but the front compressor will run for eight minutes and the rear will run for five and back and fourth. Most times both AC's will run full time unless you you use a high amp appliance. If you have ever tried to put up a fifty amp cord at twenty five degrees, You will know why I love this system.
I agree with these comments. I have 02' PA 37A. The 30a system works fine and both AC compressors run at the same time, with one shedding for the short time a hair dryer or the microwave is on. And I like handling 30a cord vs. handling 50a cord.

I would suggest to try it before deciding to make any modifications.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

My previous MH was a '03 PA with the EMS. Never had any issues. I have discovered that the 50 amp cord is tough in the cold. Be happy.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Haven't had a 50 amp but have had no problems with using my 30 amp. EMS works fine if it has to adjust and it is usually very brief. If both ac's are running and you use hair dryer or microwave it sheds from one ac to the other until hair drier or microwave shuts off. The fans on the ac's keep working and unless you go look at the ems you won't even know it is shedding. When it quits shedding you wont know that either. Just don't have a problem with 30 amp system. (yet)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Thanks for all the input, sounds like I won't have any problems. It's such a nice Coach, I'm sure it was designed to for everything to work at peak efficiency. One more question is; there are two switches in the bathroom cabinet, each have three positions, here is a picture, (sorry, made with my phone)

Left Switch

Top - Water Heater
Center - Washer/Dryer
Bottom - Microwave

Right Switch

Top - Microwave
Center - (Not Used)
Bottom - Washer/Dryer

Can someone explain this setup a little better to me.

I do know the only way the microwave works is for both switches to be set in the microwave position.

I don't have a Washer/Dryer and we are not going to put one in. I had one in my last MH and never used it, we are never gone for more than a week at the time and so far most every where we stay has a on site laundry, that is much faster and in the long run much cheaper than buying one for the MH. If need arises, we always pull the toad with us and I can go find a laundry facility if I had to. A added bonus is the wife loves having the extra storage room in the bathroom

Thanks for all your help and I hope everyone has a blessed and safe weekend.
tpdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #11

The switch on the left switches between the water heater and the washer/dryer OR the microwave. The switch on the right allows you to switch between the washer/dryer and the microwave when the left switch is in the down position. The middle position on both switches is dead or off.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote