Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Pace Arrow Bypass Confusion

My 2019 Pace Arrow has a water bypass valve under the bathroom sink like the one in the picture. When in the normal position everything works as designed, and hot water flows as it should. When I turn it to bypass, no water (or antifreeze) will come out the faucets.

This is a brand new motorhome. I noticed this problem when I winterized in the fall. Is there another valve somewhere I am missing? Is was the valve installed wrong? Is something broken?

2019 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35EClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200124-073622.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	273115
KGflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #2

Quick edit: when I turn it to bypass, water comes out the cold faucets but not the hot faucets. When I winterized I was only able to pump antifreeze thought the cold pipes. I could not pump antifreeze through the hot pipes and had to unhook pipes and pump it through manually to completely winterize the plumbing.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGflyboy View Post
Quick edit: when I turn it to bypass, water comes out the cold faucets but not the hot faucets. When I winterized I was only able to pump antifreeze thought the cold pipes. I could not pump antifreeze through the hot pipes and had to unhook pipes and pump it through manually to completely winterize the plumbing.
Does air come out of the hot faucets?
CathedralCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
Does air come out of the hot faucets?
No. Nothing comes out. In fact, when I tried to bypass the electric water pump and use a manual pump to run antifreeze through the lines, there was string resistance. It was like I was pushing fluid against a brick wall. I tried blowing it out with air and had the same problem.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By any chance do you have a Truma "on demand" hot water heater? If so, you just use the low point drains and pull the Truma filter to drain the Truma quart hot water reservoir. Then set the valve to bypass and winterize the cold water side of the system.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's more like a water heater isolator than a traditional bypass, but I suppose Rev Group could argue that it does indeed "bypass" the heater (no water flows to it or through it). You can still drain the tank and the hot water lines (it has a hot water low point drains, right? Just can't pump antifreeze thru that path. It's a cheaper method than the traditional single-valve bypass that allows cold water to flow around the heater tank and to the hot faucets. All that is needed is a simple shut-off valve on the feeder to the heater. Anybody wanna bet that's what they've done?

According to the Pace brochure, the heater is a typical 6 gallon gas/electric model. Unless you have the Aquahot option. No Truma demand heater.

Oddly, the section in the owner manual on water system and winterizing does not show or even mention the water heater. Nor does the water system diagram.

https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspa...20190830092654
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
By any chance do you have a Truma "on demand" hot water heater? If so, you just use the low point drains and pull the Truma filter to drain the Truma quart hot water reservoir. Then set the valve to bypass and winterize the cold water side of the system.
I do not have an "on demand" heater.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's more like a water heater isolator than a traditional bypass, but I suppose Rev Group could argue that it does indeed "bypass" the heater (no water flows to it or through it).
Interesting. So REV intended it to work this way? I assumed I was overlooking another valve somewhere or maybe that the water lines weren't hooked up to the bypass valve correctly, but I bet you are correct.

I do have a hot water line low point valve I can open to drain all the water out.

Would you recommend using compressed air to blow out the hot water lines after draining them? My winterization process would look like this:

1. Drain all water from low point valves and from water heater with my bypass valve still in normal position.
2. Close low point valves and water heater drain and use compressed air to blow out the lines.
3. Place bypass valve in bypass position and run antifreeze through the cold lines.

I've always been a little nervous about not running antifreeze through all the lines since I live in the Midwest where it does get fairly cold, so resorting to only draining the hot lines without putting in antifreeze makes me a little uneasy. I'm a newbie compared to most of you though, so I'll probably just do whatever you all recommend.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #9

We have a 2018 Pace Arrow 35e. Agreed, the manual isnít much help for the winterizing process. However, I didnít have much difficulty in putting 4 gallons of antifreeze into the fresh water fill tank then pumping it through both the hot and cold water lines. Blowing out your lines is a totally acceptable winterizing method. Just make sure you do it adequately, recommend 40psi.
moodyerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #10

just saw this. On the 2019 Pace 36U the bypass valve is behind the panel to the left (as you are sitting on it) of the toilet. I was always confused why it had that and the REV valve you showed pictured.
MVS2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #11

Hot water issues

I have a 2018 pace arrow 38f lxe and I am having issues with hot I have checked all my lines and valves I have gone through everything I can think short of removing my heater I have hot water in my heater but all I get is Luke warm water at all my taps and shower including my outside shower,
Anyone have this issues?
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
To KGflyboy - I have a 2017 36U and that valves works as you think it should. I turn to bypass and I can drain the hotwater heater and still get cold water or antifreeze thru the hot or cold faucets.

To Pacer - you need to ensure the outside shower valves are off. I had the same problem and though the valves were off. I'd turned them the wrong way and they were full on. Try the shower head with the valves "off?" and see if you get water. With both valves on it's just a mixing point.
VIETVET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:50 AM   #13

Thanks: I did that I have done everything I can think of and nothing seems to help the only thing I haven’t done yet is pulled out my heater and changed the mixing valve on the heater. But if anyone has any ideas I am all ears thanks again.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pace arrow, ace