Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 03 PA and on my doghouse it has an opening on top of approximately 18x22"¯ attached by 3 stainless screws to service the engine. If I would ever need to remove the whole doghouse, how do you remove it? As I can detect, there are no hinges or latches around the edges of the shell. The carpet feels smooth as no lumps or high spots to indicate any mechanical gear. Did anyone ever removed theirs or can it be removed without tearing up the carpet? This is my 2nd PA, and my other one was made the same way.

I spoke to a friend who has a 02 Southwind, and he states his has latches on the edge of the doghouse that you can see. The whole cover comes off to service the engine. Any ideas...........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 03 PA and on my doghouse it has an opening on top of approximately 18x22"¯ attached by 3 stainless screws to service the engine. If I would ever need to remove the whole doghouse, how do you remove it? As I can detect, there are no hinges or latches around the edges of the shell. The carpet feels smooth as no lumps or high spots to indicate any mechanical gear. Did anyone ever removed theirs or can it be removed without tearing up the carpet? This is my 2nd PA, and my other one was made the same way.

I spoke to a friend who has a 02 Southwind, and he states his has latches on the edge of the doghouse that you can see. The whole cover comes off to service the engine. Any ideas...........
Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Release the latches and feel around the rug area for a seam in floor when you find it push in a wide blade screwdriver and see if you can pry up the doghouse floor. It maybe tight because of rug jamed in seam. If that doesn't work get under doghouse opening and use a 2x4 to tap it loose from floor under coach over motor, I have room and can see the bottom of DH from there. Don't hit it hard you could put a cloth cover over end of 2x4.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #4

I also have an '03 Pace Arrow, the best I can say is get ready for a mess. I have removed my doghouse to do he Ultrapower upgrade and was very surprised at the poor means by which it is attached.

First pull back the carpet all around the doghouse, you will see the edge of the fiberglass is attached to the plywood floor with screws though the edge. Remove the screws all the way around (don't remember if the tack strip is covering the screws, but you will need to remove the tack strips either way). Here's where the mess comes... The seal between the floor and the doghouse is a gooey black adhesive, be very careful as you remove the doghouse or you will end up with black marks on the carpet and furniture (I am still cleaning it off my ultraleather seats).

If you decide to do this, have some of the 4" aluminium tape handy for the reinstall. The passenger's side plywood floor is completely unprotected inside the cover. I treated the plywood floor with Thompson's water seal and covered the area inside the doghouse with the aluminum tape to try to prevent water damage.

When you are ready to reinstall the cover, go to Home Depot and replace the black sealant with some of the rope sealant use in home construction (3/16" rope, 4 - 5 wide I think), it will be easier to clean up after if you have to remove the cover in the future.

I will be removing my cover one more time to insulate the inside of the cover and the floor under the carpet. I ordered sheet insulation from JC Whitney and when I get a chance will be doing the insulation (to cut down noise and heat).

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the follow up js5346 and a belated welcome to irv2. Its to bad they have to install a doghouse in that way, had a Fleetwood product and it was not that kind of a mess. Thanks again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
js5346,

This is what I was afraid to hear. I didn't want to tear it apart and find out the worst. Well, you did and I will if I ever have to do the same. Thank you for the detailed procedure, and what to look for. Love the PA, but in many steps of manufacturing, it could have been better thought out.

Thanks Again........Ron