RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
part time full timing it in the Bounder

Id like to relay the experiences, fun and some of the challenges I've had over the last few months. Ive had the fun of living in our motorhome full time for the last 3 months in georgia while my daughter trains for her sport. For the last few years I've been wishing I could retire and go full time and experience all the fun others on this forum have reported. my wish came true when I lost my job and due to careful planning have been able to take a little break and enjoy the company of my daughter while experiencing what it will be like to full time. We are staying at a motocross training facility in georgia. We have a full hookup sight with 50amp power. The only pain is we share a sewer outlet so every time i need to dump, I have to kindly ask the neighbor not to flush for a few minutes. (wouldn't that be a nice surprise?) You find out real quick if you have outfitted your rig correctly with all the right options and accessories. Im thankful to say that I was pretty prepared and really haven't had to buy much. We did have to buy 3 more lengths of sewer hose as the run was close to 40 feet. A sewer hose support also came in handy. I also bought a good quality water pressure valve with gauge. The water down here seems to have an iron smell that bothers me and after 2 months, our water pressure was down to a dribble. I handled both issues by putting a camco inline filter at the hose bib and replacing our whole house filter with a good carbon filter. You should have seen what came out with the old filter! Lots of rust and other junk. Our shower is running great again. As far as the bounder goes for full timing, for the most part, I can't report many issues. For the two of us it seems great. I like having the half bath and the big tv area because I stay up late watching movies and with my daughter taking over the back bedroom, she can get a good nights sleep without me disturbing her. Outside storage has not been a problem and I have plenty left over. The storage for clothing however is at a premium as the drawers are short and unlike taking a weekend trip its a bit harder to fit everything you own especially with a teenage daughter who packed for the beach as well as an arctic expedition. I think with a little thought and a day of organizing it could be made much better. The huge shower in the bounder is just as good as home, well almost, I hate fiberglass surrounds. I can report that it does get an orange hue to it from the iron in the water but I used kaboom and it cleaned up like new. For as big as this bathroom is for a gas coach, I could definitely feel the want for a huge rear bath in a pusher while getting ready. The storage in the fridge seems to be adequate and the pantry has sure come in handy. We have prepared all kinds of meals from quick heat em ups to full blown dinners and the kitchen works well. Of course who couldn't use more counter space? The key to everything seems to be organization and keeping things un cluttered. I did have a p trap under the kitchen sink come loose and drop off the pipe. Thank god I had a bin under it to hold cleaning supplies as this held most of the water from washing dishes. I noticed it when water started leaking from under the basin cabinet. Check all your traps to make sure they're tight! This leads me to my biggest complaint. I hate vinyl wrapped cabinet faces!!! If you just touch them with something, you nick them. If they get a little damp, they get soft and the vinyl peels. I realize that in most coaches at this level, this is what you get but its a huge problem that if your not careful will ruin the looks of your motor home. The only mechanical problem we experienced, related to the chassis. In our travels I suddenly noticed the coach was swaying more. I went up in air pressure on the tires but that didn't solve it. All it did was make the coach ride like a rock and rattle the fillings out of my teeth. I started to notice a grinding noise while making turns but originally chalked it up to the trailer making noise. Upon further investigation I found that the U shaped clamp that holds the rear sway bar to the axle had come loose. The top bolt on the drivers side was gone and the rubber bushing had slip down the sway bar causing the sway bar to rub on the axle when I made turns and needless to say the coach wasn't handling very well. I was able to maneuver everything into place and get a nut and bolt to replace the missing one. It seemed to me by looking at the bracket, it had never been tightened properly at the factory. We had to run 900 miles home the other day for my daughters graduation and left the motorhome in georgia for a week until we get back. Right before we left I had a terrible experience. I was taking the garbage can out from under the sink and their it was! A cockroach on the garbage can! Now I can tell you that we are impeccably clean and I spend my days putzing and cleaning this thing. I can only figure it came in with groceries or fruit from walmart. Im praying it was the only one but growing up in the restaurant business, I have this sinking feeling. I know in Florida, they call them palmetto bugs, does Georgia have the same problems? Im hoping I don't come back to a giant one greeting me from the drivers seat asking where were headed next! Should I call an exterminator? Like I said I've only seen the one but I swear Ill sell this thing if its going to be a problem. Anyhow, sorry for the length but I thought relaying a few of my experiences might help others. Still love my bounder.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just semi-retired again yesterday so I am able to enjoy my rig more often as well. Enjoy it!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My next coach for full timing will for sure have a dishwasher, washer dryer, bigger bath, bigger wardrobe, full wood cabinetry, better carpet and flooring, soft water system, quieter a/c and hydro hot. The things I have and would never live without would be my fireplace which is great for a quick warm up in the morning, 1 and a 1/2 baths, outside entertainment center and L shaped sofa with direct view of TV along with in motion satellite.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mojo,

Just saw where you are still full timing. Any updates to things you would change? How do you handle the laundry? I can't imagine it would be easy with the combo unit only.

We are starting to put our full timing plans together and while I love our Bounder I am concerned about ride quality, climbing hills, etc. We plan on doing alot of time in mountains. Do you still plan on moving up to a DP eventually?

Thanks!
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Im back home as of august. The training facility had a laundry room just 50 yards from our spot so laundry wasn't an issue. Basically we lived in it for 8 months. Like I said, for us, a dishwasher would be a must have in the next coach. If it was just my wife and I, I think we could get by with a combo splendide washer dryer in the coach but with all the laundry from my daughter with training, it wouldn't keep up. The only other thing I would wish for would be more and deeper drawers in the bedroom. I accumulated a lot of stuff over that 8 months to make the "household" more like home. Everything from small appliances to stuff for the patio and still have my entire drivers side storage empty. Like I said, the coach worked marvelously for full timing. One thing I will say is that I have worked on cleaning it up inside and out for two full weeks since getting home. Even with all the regular cleaning I did it still needed a complete going over.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yea, the cockroach problem ended up not being a problem. It either wasn't one that I spotted to begin with or like I had said just a random one that came in with groceries and I got it before it could create problems. I would recommend, especially when staying in a place like georgia, some type of home defense bug barier. The ants and things are crazy down there and you need a way to keep them from climbing up the tires and on to and into your rig
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Early in the year we were able to heat mostly with the heat pump, the fireplace and one additional electric space heater. I only refilled the propane once and I still have half of that tank. I should mention that we ran both the gas and electric water heater most of the time for quick recovery.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, I'm typing as I think of things. We put 10000 miles on it from January to august with almost no hicups. I averaged 6.5 miles to the gallon pulling a 20 foot race trailer loaded to the gills with bikes, gear and a Polaris ranger. I loved having my fumoto valve as I would change oil at the race track by simply sliding under it and I could get rid of the oil at the many waste oil stations they have at race tracks.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the great update. Definitely makes me think about just keeping the Bounder and giving it a shot. Right now we are talking about a Dutch Star or Aspire, but it would be nice to use the money for other things.

I talked to a couple who full timed in their Bounder, and the they told me they did a load of laundry every day. I don't know that I want to do that, and I am not a big fan of laundromats.

I also worry about doing a lot of mountain driving in the gasser as it really screams going up some of the inclines we travel now. How much do you think your trailer and all the toys weigh? Seems like you would be pushing the max.

Again, thanks for the great update.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't really help with Gas Bounders but our 08 DP Bounder has been full time for over 9 months now and is performing well.

Do agree about hard wood vs covered pressed wood etc. The tape will tear... so we are careful.

A load of laundry in the Splendide combo is easy enough. Put one on after dinner and be done before bed time - wash only before going to store or site see. Dry when you get back. Pretty easy.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brian you ar right, I'm probably over weight but it pulls the passes in Tennessee and around Asheville North Carolina just fine. It does downshift and scream at around 55 mph but the downshifting on small hills annoys me more. I did notice that I like the way it handles better with the trailer on. When I don't have the trailer hooked up it feels like the inside rear wheel is lifting. With the trailer, the coach feels like it's on rails. We too have been looking at entegra as our retirement coach. Hopefully it's a cornerstone but it's very hard to buy the cornerstone or aspire when the anthem offers almost everything the cornerstone does for less and a lot more than the aspire for just a little bit. Have always loved travel supreme and entegra but like you, the though crossed my mind that this coach has really performed well. There is a male need to join the big boy club though.☺️
Old 08-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mojo and Brian--we purchased and installed the 5-Star tune for the Ford V10. It is amazing how much more pleasant the tune has made our travels in "gentle" hills and overpasses. The tranny actually utilizes 4th gear and no more screaming on relatively gentle grades. (Except occasionally from the passenger seat, lol.)

We recently traveled to Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado ...including the 11,000' mountain pass at the Eisenhower tunnel. I won't even pretend that the tune was of any value on those grades, haha. We were still screaming up and downshifting with gusto on the descent, but we never doubted that our Bounder was up to the task, with our Wrangler in tow.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to get around to it before next spring. Ha! I've said that for the last two springs and 18000 miles! When I do it I'll probably wish I had done it much earlier. I hate when I feel like I'm beating on it when it down shifts. From what I've read the engine seems pretty bullet proof. Haven't heard of any blowing up. At least not with the late models.

Tags
bounder