Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

Paying to Have Motor Home Transported

We just bought a new Bounder in Texas and need it transported to California.

I put in a request with a company (Horizon Transport) for a few quotes to cities halfway between Texas and home near Sacramento. I'm hoping those quotes will be 'doable' and we can fly to meet the transport and drive the motor home the rest of the way home.

Has anyone had their motor home transported? Any advice? Any companies to recommend?

Thanks.
RoadTripN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
JMHO..
I believe I would "bite the bullit" and drive to the seller, spend a day or three insuring that all is well with the coach then tow your car back to Ca.. Also be aware of California laws and driver's endorsements that you may need..
The other thing to keep in mind is that a delivery driver/company is not cheap.. You should be prepared for $1.50 to $2.00 a mile plus fuel or higher..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #3

Saddlesore, that would be the way to do it but.. unfortunately not retired yet and we can't get away from work for the length of time it would take to do that.

We might fly there on Friday night, have the app't for the walk-thru on Saturday and fly back home Sunday. Not looking forwards to that, but it should be done.

Still going to have to have it transported at least part way home and meet it on a Saturday and drive it home and be at work on Monday.

We got a heck of a deal on the price, from a $205,000 list price to $123,000 out the door price but we hate to eat up any of the savings doing the flying & transport.

We've had RVs for the last 35 years here in California and there isn't a requirement for a 36', 24,000 GVWR motor home.

Now the 5th wheel we recently sold is another story and we should have had an endorsement on our licenses for towing that due to it's GVWR but no one at our DMV knew a thing about it so we never got the endorsement. Had that 5th wheel for 18 years.

Thanks for the response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California dmv license requirments.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	257542  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Let us know how everything goes..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #5

I live in California and bought my motorhome from Texas as well. It made the most sense for me to buy a plane ticket check out the coach and then drive it back.
Nathan951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Can’t get away from work for 4 days ? A mad dash could have you home in 2 What happens when or if you get really sick and can’t work ? Aren’t you feeling a little ill Friday ? Work collapse ? I think not . How will you find time to enjoy the new purchase if work is that demanding?
2 bucks a mile plus fuel minimum with a transporter unless you really just “find a friend “. [emoji6]
Old 08-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

My trip was 3 days with my daughter.

Day 1
Flew out there and arrived around 10am. Inspected the coach, test drove it, handeled most of the paperwork. I stayed the night and drove it to Walmart for some food and blankets.... as a solo test drive

Day 2
Finalize the paperwork then left around noon and drove to New Mexico ( also making a Gas, Walmart and food stop). Stayed the night there so I could check out the Carlsbad Caverns in the morning. Left around 1pm Drove to Lake Havasu to stay the night.

Day 3
Woke up in Havasu, meet up with some friends and go on the lake the next day, and hung out in the pool. Left to drive home after the sun went down and got home around 9pm (could have easily just drove a straight home without even stopping in Havasu)

You're talking about doing NO Shakedown by using a transporter. So this can be a 2 day (1 night) trip if you don't have time to enjoy your drive home.

And yes, with my 40 foot DP I should have a non-commercial class A because of the weight rating, but my other friends don't have one as well. I do have one friend that does, but he drives a 42-foot tag.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan951 View Post
My trip was 3 days with my daughter.

Day 1
Flew out there and arrived around 10am. Inspected the coach, test drove it, handeled most of the paperwork. I stayed the night and drove it to Walmart for some food and blankets.... as a solo test drive

Day 2
Finalize the paperwork then left around noon and drove to New Mexico ( also making a Gas, Walmart and food stop). Stayed the night there so I could check out the Carlsbad Caverns in the morning. Left around 1pm Drove to Lake Havasu to stay the night.

Day 3
Woke up in Havasu, meet up with some friends and go on the lake the next day, and hung out in the pool. Left to drive home after the sun went down and got home around 9pm (could have easily just drove a straight home without even stopping in Havasu)

You're talking about doing NO Shakedown by using a transporter. So this can be a 2 day (1 night) trip if you don't have time to enjoy your drive home.

And yes, with my 40 foot DP I should have a non-commercial class A because of the weight rating, but my other friends don't have one as well. I do have one friend that does, but he drives a 42-foot tag.
If you were to look at the chart above you would see that a Class A is for trailers and Class B is for motorhomes and since yours is not over 40' you don't need a special license. Also note there is no weight involved, only length.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #9

Class C DL -

You may drive*a:

2-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds (lbs.) or less.
==I'm well over that weight at 34,000==

3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.

Housecar 40 feet or less.

3-wheel motorcycle with 2 wheels located in the front or back.

Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_194650.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	257613  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan951 View Post
I live in California and bought my motorhome from Texas as well. It made the most sense for me to buy a plane ticket check out the coach and then drive it back.

That's what we were planning on doing but now the dealer can't do it this Saturday. Just one of us might have to do a quick week day trip to Texas next week to check out the coach.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Can’t get away from work for 4 days ? A mad dash could have you home in 2 What happens when or if you get really sick and can’t work ? Aren’t you feeling a little ill Friday ? Work collapse ? I think not . How will you find time to enjoy the new purchase if work is that demanding?
2 bucks a mile plus fuel minimum with a transporter unless you really just “find a friend “. [emoji6]

We own the business so it's hard for us to leave during the week. It creates a hardship on the others who are there working.

Buying this motor home is a step towards retiring. We have the business up for sale. As soon as it sells, we want to have a motor home all ready to travel.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #12

Where in Texas is it located. May be able to find someone on this forum to do it. Lots of old retired farts here
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Give me the details, where in texas and where to in CA, I might be able to do it, semi retired long time RV'er that has owned many motorhomes, class a gass ,class a DP ( 40ft monaco) and a couple of class c's would be glad to help. We can work out the details
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Email is avfordguy@yahoo.com place transport in the subject line.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote