Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #1

Permanent LED awning lights

I want to add some permanent awning lights to my 98 Discovery. I have a 20' manual awning, and I am tired of stringing up lights at every stop. I'm not sure if I want some type of led lights that I can leave installed in the track or a strip mounted to the side of the coach, under the awning. If I used a track mounted strip, wouldn't I have to run power out to it each time, or is there some way to wire it up permanently?

I have been looking online for LED strips for mounting to the coach. Some reviews said that they had trouble with the mounting tape. If any of you have added lights like this, how did you mount them? What brand of lights did you use? How are they permanently wired?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This is the Install of LED lights on my awning roller

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknjohn View Post
I want to add some permanent awning lights to my 98 Discovery. I have a 20' manual awning, and I am tired of stringing up lights at every stop. I'm not sure if I want some type of led lights that I can leave installed in the track or a strip mounted to the side of the coach, under the awning. If I used a track mounted strip, wouldn't I have to run power out to it each time, or is there some way to wire it up permanently?

I have been looking online for LED strips for mounting to the coach. Some reviews said that they had trouble with the mounting tape. If any of you have added lights like this, how did you mount them? What brand of lights did you use? How are they permanently wired?

Thanks.
I used something like these right under my awning drip rail. Self adhesive, waterproof, and run on 12v. Mine are wired permanently and I have a switch on the inside of the coach.

I used the included tape, cleaned well with acetone before I installed.
You can even get real fancy ( I did) and go with an RF remote to add dimming and remote control.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Key-RF-Wi...3D252641363776

Warm White 5M 300leds 3528 SMD Xmas LED Strip Lights Lamp Non-Waterproof 12V | eBay
hbrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Im also a newbie to the LED ribbon lights.

I added a strip under my awning on the MH wall and also a strip under the door awning. I tied mine into the porch light, so both work when you open the door or turn on the porch light.
I used the weather proof and self sticking tape but later added a silicone bead to the strip to keep it firm in place.

O and I added a ribbon of light around the inside of the outside tv door and a switch. Now i can open the tv door which is raised up level and have light straight down onto the patio area, nice for my out door cooktop.

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I also installed mine under the awning and tied them into the porch light.

If you use the adhesive backed lLED strip light, in addition to preping the sidewall surface, I would recommend using 3M trim adhesive tape and then attach the the LED light strip to it. Mine have been up for two years and are securely fastened to the coach.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light, lights