Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Polishing an older Fleetwood

Hi

I have a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision, that has a beige paint at the front and along the lower sides.
It has lost it's shine and when I try to use any cleaner or polish it leaves black marks on the paint and cloth. The more I clean, the more black I get.

Is this oxidation from metallic paint,(it doesn't really look like metallic to me) or just general grime. The paint is listed as Motherload Mica.

How do I clean this off?

Thanks

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysystems View Post
Hi

I have a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision, that has a beige paint at the front and along the lower sides.
It has lost it's shine and when I try to use any cleaner or polish it leaves black marks on the paint and cloth. The more I clean, the more black I get.

Is this oxidation from metallic paint,(it doesn't really look like metallic to me) or just general grime. The paint is listed as Motherload Mica.

How do I clean this off?

Thanks

David
Mica means metallic. It's not real metal, but it is a metallic paint. I don't care how much oxidation is coming off on the cloth, the real question is what does the paint look like? You may want to try some fine rubbing compound in an inconspicuous area. If that brings the shine up. Time to get the mechanical polisher out.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 620
Read up on fiberglass and gelcoat repair.. what type of polish are you using.? . you may need one just for fiberglass.. to use only on front end cap.. check you tube on polishing fiberglass.. now this is just for front end cap.. the rest of coach could be different .. mix of decals and or paint and or fiberglass.. so different types of polish for each different surface.. as always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you oh since you are asking about finish.. pictures will really help us zero in on best polish and even pictures of the rags..
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Read up on fiberglass and gelcoat repair.. what type of polish are you using.? . you may need one just for fiberglass.. to use only on front end cap.. check you tube on polishing fiberglass.. now this is just for front end cap.. the rest of coach could be different .. mix of decals and or paint and or fiberglass.. so different types of polish for each different surface.. as always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you oh since you are asking about finish.. pictures will really help us zero in on best polish and even pictures of the rags..
Thanks
I'm not too worried about the decals etc right now. I may get new decals. The front cap has some white, and the beige. The white, and the sides the RV are OK. It's only the beige that gives 'dirty' rags. I've tried some boat oxidation remover, but now use Collonite Cleaner and Insulator Wax.

If I just have to keep cleaning, that's fine.
Even though it has some black left, the finish is really good!

My cloth looks like I'm cleaning silver, or alloy castings.

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
I have the same situation on my 06 Bounder. I started on the front decal (stripe) and got what you describe, black oxidation on my rag. Do a spot, move to new position on rag, rinse and repeat. Can only do about a 2Ē circle at a time until I get down to the decal and no black. The black does smear onto the the fiberglass, so save the glass for last so you donít smear more on it. I got about a 8í of the front stripe done and it looks like new. Took about 3 hrs to do it though. Only another 90 hrs to go. 😂 using Meguiar's M6732. Going to try an orbital polisher to see if that will work faster, not sure it will though. Keep banginí away, youíll get there.
jtjj1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjj1958 View Post
I have the same situation on my 06 Bounder. I started on the front decal (stripe) and got what you describe, black oxidation on my rag. Do a spot, move to new position on rag, rinse and repeat. Can only do about a 2Ē circle at a time until I get down to the decal and no black. The black does smear onto the the fiberglass, so save the glass for last so you donít smear more on it. I got about a 8í of the front stripe done and it looks like new. Took about 3 hrs to do it though. Only another 90 hrs to go. 😂 using Meguiar's M6732. Going to try an orbital polisher to see if that will work faster, not sure it will though. Keep banginí away, youíll get there.
Thanks
I can get the black off if I'm quick enough to house a clean rag before it dries. If not, mineral spirits will take it off.
Must buy an orbital, but how often would we change the pad with all this black coming off?

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim.B1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 802
It sounds like you have an extensive, exhausting and potentially frustrating job ahead of you.
My suggestion would be to find a professional detailing company that specializes in mechanical waxing and oxidization removal.
Get the pros to do it properly and then the follow up maintenance will be easier and manageable.
We have had this done while in Florida @ $10/foot for the oxidization removal and then $10/foot for the waxing.
The oxidization needs to be done only once and then annual waxing.
Our first 28' Class C took 3 guys with electric buffers, 4 hours of "hard" work but the results were amazing and it lasted.
The expense definitely paid off when it came time to sell that RV.
Not sure where, or who to contact in Canada, but they are out there.
__________________
Jim.B
Southern Ontario
2014 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS 🇨🇦
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
It sounds like you have an extensive, exhausting and potentially frustrating job ahead of you.
My suggestion would be to find a professional detailing company that specializes in mechanical waxing and oxidization removal.
Get the pros to do it properly and then the follow up maintenance will be easier and manageable.
We have had this done while in Florida @ $10/foot for the oxidization removal and then $10/foot for the waxing.
The oxidization needs to be done only once and then annual waxing.
Our first 28' Class C took 3 guys with electric buffers, 4 hours of "hard" work but the results were amazing and it lasted.
The expense definitely paid off when it came time to sell that RV.
Not sure where, or who to contact in Canada, but they are out there.
Here in PEI I would probably try a Marine specialist.
The last time we were in Florida there was a company who toured the RV resorts. $300 for a wash & wax and $500 for oxidation removal.

I'll keep going the hard way, one panel at a time. Once it is waxed it's easy!

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Read up on fiberglass and gelcoat repair.. what type of polish are you using.? . you may need one just for fiberglass.. to use only on front end cap.. check you tube on polishing fiberglass.. now this is just for front end cap.. the rest of coach could be different .. mix of decals and or paint and or fiberglass.. so different types of polish for each different surface.. as always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you oh since you are asking about finish.. pictures will really help us zero in on best polish and even pictures of the rags..
I use Collonite fibreglass cleaner as it is not too abrasive. The finish underneath is good.

Hereís a photo from a 6 inch test patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEA0FD5A-D440-4256-83B9-1D8472C6E681.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	337767  
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 849
Thetford Protect-All fiberglass oxidation remover.

After that hit it with Mothers CMX
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
I finally gave up on my 03 Southwind and went to full body paint. Painted in Mexico, great price and love the result. I also don't miss the white oxidation runs and polishing and waxing the end caps every 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_094307.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	338234  
GunnerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #12
Member
 
RVforTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 50
I have a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind. Does anyone have any idea if the main color on it (tan) is paint or is it gel coat? I know the stripes are paint as I can see a bit of over spray on one part.
RVforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVforTwo View Post
I have a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind. Does anyone have any idea if the main color on it (tan) is paint or is it gel coat? I know the stripes are paint as I can see a bit of over spray on one part.
My 2000 has a paper in the bedroom wardrobe with all the colours on it. Had to hunt around a bit to find it.

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
I used 0000 steel wool and w/d 40 on a 05’ Bounder, mostly on faded stripes. Should work on faded/oxidized paint.
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fleetwood



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older Minnie Winnie towing an older Honda CR-V GA Peach Class C Motorhome Discussions 6 06-30-2015 12:02 AM
Older Cardinal vs older Cedar Creek golden_eagle 5th Wheel Discussion 5 05-28-2013 08:28 PM
Polishing MH Fiberglass quikduk Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 12-09-2007 01:30 PM
Aluminum Wheel Polishing Service - Chicago Area Shanwick Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 07-25-2007 10:23 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.