Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
pace89,

Took a look at your pictures of the coach modifications. Love the flooring. Did you do the work yourself? What laminate did you use?

Thanks.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Pace,

Looks like the same one we have, nice touch! Like the flooring also, would love to be able to tackle a project like that.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pace89:
We put a portable fireplace in last year for our snowbird trip to West Central Fl. Worked great for the occassional cold nights & when the heat was not needed the fake flame is a nice touch, never used the coach furnace all season. When traveling it is easily placed in space under table beetween cabinets. The other nice feature is that the top of the stove is cool to the touch & the stove top can be used to display, flowers/photos. Some photos were taken before/after modifications. I have since added a few area rugs/hearth to enhance appearance(not in these photos).

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/sight04 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outstanding work! Your coach looks great. I want to replace our carpet with Pergo but have concerns about the LR slide scratching the floor when it is retracted. Did you have carpet before? If so, does your slide rest on the Pergo floor when it is retracted?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes I did the floor myself. Used a Home Depot Pergo Laminate don't remember color name.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brigadoon:
pace89,

Took a look at your pictures of the coach modifications. Love the flooring. Did you do the work yourself? What laminate did you use?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes there was carpetbefore. What I did was to incorporate a sweep ((flat piece of rubber sandwiched between the slide frame booth area and a strip of laminate) this prevents most items that could damage the surface from getting under the slide. The sofa area did not look like it needed it. Just returned from a 2,800 mile plus trip & the laminate under the retracted dinette frame edge has trace amounts of scuffing, next long trip I will put something under the edge to abate the issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pace89:
We put a portable fireplace in last year for our snowbird trip to West Central Fl. Worked great for the occassional cold nights & when the heat was not needed the fake flame is a nice touch, never used the coach furnace all season. When traveling it is easily placed in space under table beetween cabinets. The other nice feature is that the top of the stove is cool to the touch & the stove top can be used to display, flowers/photos. Some photos were taken before/after modifications. I have since added a few area rugs/hearth to enhance appearance(not in these photos).

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/sight04 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outstanding work! Your coach looks great. I want to replace our carpet with Pergo but have concerns about the LR slide scratching the floor when it is retracted. Did you have carpet before? If so, does your slide rest on the Pergo floor when it is retracted? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pace89 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does that not get to hot to set beside the bench seat? I would think that it gets hot after a couple of hours.

JAXFL
JAXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours got hot sitting next to the dinnette, however; you can turn ours down or off and just watch the fake flames if you want.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #22

We have two built-in fireplaces, neither is as efficient as our small brick-type heater. Electric heat is virtually 100% efficient, electric fireplaces use electricity for lighting, rotating the fake flames,etc.
Sure we like the fireplaces, but, when paying for electricity separately we only use brick-type heaters. We are considering buying a Vornado heater after reading many glowing reports.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
First of all Terry and Bev - now I wish I'd gotten the LIGHT wood in my rig . . . I love the dark wood but it shows all the little white doggie hairs.

NOW - about the little fireplace. I bought one like that - a higher end with a remote control last year. You plugged the cord into the remote control box then plugged it into the wall. You could lie in bed, see the flames, and turn it down or up (temperature) as needed which made it REALLY nice at night. It heated the entire rig too. When the weather warmed up and I went to put it into storage, the plug was MELTED into the remote control box. I could have had a major fire and lost my rig or worse. I posted this on IRV2 and a lot of the folks that responded were telling me that the fireplace might have been drawing too much power. I don't understand the technical aspects of it, but you may want to check out that thread to make sure you don't have a similar problem. I don't know if it was the remote control box or what, but I'm probably going to buy another one if the nights continue to get this cool here in Arizona . . . and I'm not going to get the remote control with it.

Here's the link to that original thread:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/for...10844641#30210844641