Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Potential Excursion buyer has question(s)

Hi.

Have a 38 foot Coachman Encounter, gas chassis.

Been looking at the Excursion 38B Diesel (I think it was a B). 2007-2009 range but maybe a new 2011 if I can find one for a good price. I like the look but would like some feedback.

I believe this would be a higher quality coach then my Encounter so unless you disagree, no need to make that argument.

1) Is one model year significantly better than another and why, changes in equipment or tech? Any comment other then newer is better which I already agree with.

2) What would I look out for? Things that I should check for the Excursion model that have popped up in the last couple of years, if any.

3) How does the Excursion fit in to the Fleetwood line up? Lower end, higher end, what do you think?

4) My Encounter gave me fits on the highway at first; somewhat difficult to keep in its lane but after tire pressure adjustments, weight adjustments, a steering shock and adjustments in the anti-sway bars it now handles just fine. What about the Excursion? Same work ahead of me if I buy new, or is it a smooth ride and glide right off the showroom floor? I assume if I buy used someone else has already worked these bugs out

5) If not the Excursion what model in the Fleetwood brand would you recommend? I am not independently wealthy so the American line is out and the Providence, unless several years old, is out as well.

6) Small item but are docking lights standard or available via option choice?

Thanks All,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #2

Well crud......

It's the Expedition I have been looking at not the Excursion. I guess that pretty much puts my post and questions down the dumper. LOL
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that!! I believe the EXPEDITION is the mid-level diesel coach. Hopefully some EXPEDITION owners will see your post and have some input for you. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the Providence, and are very happy. Not sure of the differences between Expedition and the Excursion, but I would believe they are cosmetic. better grade this and better grade that, but overall take the lipstick off and it's still a pig.

I have had mine 3 years and very little problems. Make sure you check the service records and have the engine / drive train looked over by a competent shop. MONEY WELL SPENT. Don't take the sellers word, have it checked.

Poppy
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's the Fleetwood pecking order, top to bottom, with starting prices for the new models as of March 2012:

-Providence, $268k
-Discovery, $256k
-Expedition, $228k
-Excursion, $178k
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

We have an 03 Expedition 38N, and love it. In the past the Expedition and the Discovery were almost twins in the mid price range. Today, the Excursion is an entry level diesel and the Expedition is a mid range coach in the 36-38 foot length. Question 2. I think you'll be looking at the Cummins 6.7l diesel in your year range. I personally like the Cummins engines. As to question 4, the ride quality of the Expedition will be sgnificantly better than you rpresent coach.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll
Well crud......

It's the Expedition I have been looking at not the Excursion. I guess that pretty much puts my post and questions down the dumper. LOL
We had a 2003 excursion, it was a step above the expedition, I believe not sure as to what year Fleetwood came out with the Expedition, however the Excursion was by far above the Discovery. Both good coaches. We had no problems what so ever with the Excursion except very minor issues. I see three Discovery's out my window now. We had a 330 cat and our model was 39S. Just traded for a new Providence tag. Our Excursion lasted less than 48 hours on the dealers lot. Good luck if you find an excursion go with it.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here's the Fleetwood pecking order, top to bottom, with starting prices for the new models as of March 2012:

-Providence, $268k
-Discovery, $256k
-Expedition, $228k
-Excursion, $178k
Depends on what year you are looking at. In previous years the Excursion and Providence were the same coach with different badges and top of the line until you jumped to the American Coach luxury brand. Along about 2010 the new Fleetwood revamped the product line and dropped the Excursion as twin of Providence. Then for 2013 model year (early 2012) they reintroduced the Excursion as a new entry diesel model, below Expedition and above Bounder Classic.

So yes, the year does make a difference.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does anyone know if the new excursion has a generator? I didn't see one in specs.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

6.0 KW it's on fleetwoods web site.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks rooster, I was looking on the excursion site, just had colors and some options. I will look on the main site. I'm think about the 35b.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote