Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Potential problem to avoid for fleetwood owners with outside entertainment

I went to use our outside stereo/dvd player the other day and it had no power whatsoever. I removed the stereo and checked the fuse as well as if it was getting power. My test light confirmed both. Upon further investigation I found what looked like water damage to the stereo. It looked like coffee had been spilled on the top of the unit and when I looked further at the bottom of the stereo I could see where a liquid had entered the stereo and pooled in the bottom of its case causing corrosion and what I assumed was a short circuit. I then remembered my daughter spilling a cup of coffee inside on the kitchen counter. I found that 1) the sink is not caulked to the counter and 2) liquid can leak between the counter and the backsplash. Here are a couple pics of the stereo and I am pointing at the spot where the liquid leaked from the kitchen counter and ran down into the stereo. The stereo was out of warranty and I doubt water damage would be covered anyway so I proceeded to take apart the stereo. I cleaned up all the corrosion on the circuit board with contact cleaner and wd-40 and to my surprise when I plugged it back in everything worked just fine! I then took a fairly heavy piece of plastic and taped it to the top of the stereo so it hung off the back edge to act as kind of a water shed should this happen again. I guess the permanent solution is to caulk the counter so I will be doing this soon. I figured I would warn folks as when I looked for a replacement stereo, nobody makes a single din unit with dvd any longer. The only one I could find was an off beat brand. Hope this helps a few folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a stereo.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	97712  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the heads up; I'll be inspecting our sink backsplash and calking around the sink on our Bounder 35K.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine.
I had to replace my outside TV last outing. Was easy to do and I was very surprised when I removed the TV how open this was to the sink and all of the water supply lines and drain lines.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Do you have any pictures of how you removed the TV?
Eddie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
I did not take any pictures.. On my 2014 there were four screws on the metal plate that held the TV in. It is a two person job. When you remove the screws the TV is still attached with cables. I have a ladder with a platform about the height of the TV. My Girl friend of 48 years helped me hold it and set it on the platform. I did take a picture of the cables so I would know were to attach them. I designed power plants for 45 years but have trouble removing a cover plate on a light switch. So if I can fix this anyone can. I replaced it with the same brand size and model. It looks to me like you can go bigger. If you decide to change to another TV make sure that you check the depth. I got mine at Best Buy. The salesman said that I could bring it back if it was the wrong one.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked last night when I went to check the coach. There are 6 screws not 4.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Caulk and Check connections

I have been meaning to start this thread myself so good start. Yes I have caulked around all the sinks, notice the large gap around the bath sinks. I have also caulked the shower door, gives it a more finished look and seals too. Having lived in our 2015 35K for several months now I have checked all the p-trap connects, all were loose and one dripping. I also removed the 3 trap doors that expose the back of the shower from the bedroom area. I noticed a small puddle on the floor and traced it up to the shower handle connection in the rear were not tight. So tightened those and remove the faucet handles to expose the front of the shower faucet and clear caulked that area - leak handled.
Side Note: I'm surprised FW doesn't do a central water connection area where everything can be turned off from one location. I guess I was a little spoiled by our Mobile Suite.......
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny you mention P-traps. The one under my kitchen sink came loose and didn't notice it while doing dishes until it filled up a plastic tub I kept under the sink and then started pouring out the front of the cabinet. It caused the baseboard of the cabinet to delaminate. Must have been loose from the factory and finally popped off. Im hoping fleetwood can replace the bottom of the cabinet faceplate when I take it to the factory this fall. I checked the two bathrooms and they were loose too.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, sure enough I went and checked the P traps and found one loose under the front bath sink. Going to add thee to my list of things to check regularly. Also after experiencing issues with steering TV signals to the three televisions I found loose HDMI connectors on the rear and outdoor televisions as well as an open HDMI cable between the equipment and the mid-ship TV (warranty issue).

Tags
fleetwood