Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 11:48 PM   #1

Potty Problems

Okay I need some advice before I just start tearing this apart. 2017 35k rear bathroom pedestal toilet. Starting today we saw some leakage on the floor. Pretty certain it’s not coming from the valve. Checked it a number of times and saw no more water. Then we figured out it leaks only if and while someone is sitting on it. Nothing feels loose. No leakage as far as vacu flush goes cause it ain’t coming on. But I can push down hard on the toilet and see water afterwards. Can’t lock down and see from where though. Any ideas? I’d think it it was a seal the vacuflush would be coming on a lot. Possible crack in something that opens up when weight is on it?
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmmm...
The upper foam seal (that actually seals the toilet bowl to the ball valve may be distorting when your body weight compresses it??

Give Tucker Rawls a call Monday (pacific time)

https://www.marinesan.com/AboutUs.asp

have the year/model and serial number of your toilet handy
good luck and let us know what you find..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

So it leaked 3 times in the last 24 hrs. Same scenario, sit on pot it leaks. So this morning we use the highly scientific methods involved in finding the leak. Me on floor, DW sits on pot. No leaks. We tried multiple things to get the leak to happen. No dice. Mystery. Like a rat in hiding it knows we are looking. LOL.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #4

Does the leak only happen when you are sitting on the toilet? I ask because in most cases the husband weighs significantly more than the wife and you need to add more weight to your troubleshooting. If the water visible on top of the flush ball is not leaking down then the issue most likely is in the seal between the toilet and mounting flange. If the water leaking seems to be fresh water than check the fresh water connections.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Does the leak only happen when you are sitting on the toilet? I ask because in most cases the husband weighs significantly more than the wife and you need to add more weight to your troubleshooting. If the water visible on top of the flush ball is not leaking down then the issue most likely is in the seal between the toilet and mounting flange. If the water leaking seems to be fresh water than check the fresh water connections.
Total mystery cause after leaking 3 times it stopped. We have tried to replicate the leak but it won’t do it.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had about the same experience. Our son was with us and had a leak. Didn't smell like urine or crap, but sure wasn't fresh water. I don't know if the toilet rocked some while he was sitting, if the seal leaked or what. Happen twice in three days but never again.

Just another one of life mysteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Total mystery cause after leaking 3 times it stopped. We have tried to replicate the leak but it won’t do it.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I had about the same experience. Our son was with us and had a leak. Didn't smell like urine or crap, but sure wasn't fresh water. I don't know if the toilet rocked some while he was sitting, if the seal leaked or what. Happen twice in three days but never again.

Just another one of life mysteries.
I didn’t smell ours, but I honestly don’t think it was body fluids as those smell enough so you’d know. Possibly dirty water under the base? Whatever it was it’s gone for now. Could be fresh water leakage that is being trapped under the head base and leaking out when someone sits on it. I have a bath and a half with the vacuflush. I am happy to say both toilets hold water while the rig is in storage for a long time. I don’t like those seals to get dry as that’s when things go haywire. I’ve never timed it but my estimation is the vacuum pump runs 4-5 seconds after a flush.
If this oddity happens again next time I’ll pull the thing and look at it.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #8

I had a crack in the seal/flange on the toilet that attaches it to the floor. But I did have a vacuum seal problem after a few hours the pump would run. This was in addition to the water leaking in the floor when sitting on it.
The problem from what I understand with those toilets is that they need to be torqued a certain way and when the process is not followed the flange cracks and then leaks- it is plastic.

Also, there is a nut on the water valve that likes to work loose. Check that for tightness.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I had a crack in the seal/flange on the toilet that attaches it to the floor. But I did have a vacuum seal problem after a few hours the pump would run. This was in addition to the water leaking in the floor when sitting on it.
The problem from what I understand with those toilets is that they need to be torqued a certain way and when the process is not followed the flange cracks and then leaks- it is plastic.

Also, there is a nut on the water valve that likes to work loose. Check that for tightness.
Will do. I figured it was something like this but being the vacuum pump only ever comes on after a flush I’m pretty certain I have no leaks. Now of course if I’ve had the rig parked for a long time the first sound you hear once I flip the salesman switches is that pump. But I’d guess that would be normal.
I’ll download what I can on the actual toilets for removal and install procedures.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob Did you ever find your problem? I'm starting to have odor problems and the only thing I can figure is the floor seal is starting to go. Noticed a little water on the floor today but had grand daughters with us.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Bob Did you ever find your problem? I'm starting to have odor problems and the only thing I can figure is the floor seal is starting to go. Noticed a little water on the floor today but had grand daughters with us.
No, never had much time to look it over. Been moving!
But I have it parked with the system on and it seems to be holding its vacuum for a long time. From my garage I can hear it cycle on and off. And although I’m not in the garage 24/7 in the last couple weeks I’ve only heard it cycle once. I’d think if the floor seal was leaking it’d cycle more often.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #12

If its a vacuum toilet, the floor seal will suck air in and it wouldn't smell. As long as it holds vacuum, no water can leak out. That's the same with the ball seal, anything below the ball is under vacuum.

Check the seal for back flow device the plugs into the back of the toilet, just under the rim. They get dislodged and leak. The seal could also be bad.
Next is the water valve on the side, incorporated in the flush pedal. That send the water up to the back flow valve and into the bowl.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks twinboat. Was not aware of the back flow valve. Make sense though.

DW filled me in on the water I saw. Grand daughters were doing something and she thought she got it all wiped up and did confirm it was fresh water.

Unfortunately I have the urine/sewer smell around mine. I am trying to get an idea of where it is coming from. I do see some moisture around the area. I know I might have to longest rifle in the house, but I'm a fairly good aim.

Mine holds water and the pump never runs except for the occasional time paper is stuck in the ball valve or failure to let it snap shut - like this morning.

I understand what you are saying about there is vacuum under the ball valve but got the odor for sure.

It seems as there was another post some time ago about an odor problem but I not sure the OP ever came back and said what was found, seems like it was going to the dealer...Going to look better for it.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #14

Urine / sewer smell? Mine was needing a good cleaning. By cleaning I mean with a brush on the underside where the water comes out under the where the seat lays(rim?). I’ve cleaned it a number of times just didn’t think about under there. Now that smell is all gone. Hope yours is as simple
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems