Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #113
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
My "problem child" is a 2007 Excursion 39V. The Dirt Devel previously mentioned is located on the curb side of my coach. Any ideas where I would find the PG brain? I would love to be able to hot wire from there rather than crawling under that sucker. Also, on my system, I am not disengaging the brake on the leveler yet the hotwire system works just fine. I disconnect at the plastic connecter near each jack and plug my lead into the jack side spades and then crawl out and take the other end of my hotwire kit to the battery compartment and touch the leads to battery terminals. Direction of jack movement is controlled by switching hotwire ends on the battery posts.
I don't know where your control board is , FW probably would 800-322-8216.

I can tell you that there have been revisions since 07, that you should have had done. Maybe this could be part of your problems. The control board has been revised to 140-1226 rev OK. The wiring harness has been revised. The old one had all black wires. The new one has various colored wires. The rubber boots and the band that holds them on has been revised. And as previously mentioned a lot of us are heavily siliconing the tops of the boots.

When the brake is totally corroded and you hot wire it you'll know it as the alligator clips produce a flame( fire ). Ask me how I know. You then have to remove the brake, to raise the jack.

Happy Trails

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #114

All of the above mentioned mods and upgrades have been done as well as replacing two jacks early on. Only answer I can come up with now is to live with it and make the hot wire exercise as painless as possible.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #115
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
All of the above mentioned mods and upgrades have been done as well as replacing two jacks early on. Only answer I can come up with now is to live with it and make the hot wire exercise as painless as possible.
The only thing that I would suggest to you is to carry spare parts as PG has been taking 2-3 weeks to get parts to repair facilities.

I carry 2 brake kits which include the boots and metal bands, 1 spare motor, 4 shear pins and 2 magnets. Fleetwood can sell these to you.

Hopefully I can be repaired and on my way in one or two days vs a few weeks when I have to change out any of these.

Cliff

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #116
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Cliff is always ready, willing and sometimes able to jump in ( I've had bi-lateral knee replacement ).

Yes Jim , you can " hot wire" from the control board as was stated in another thread on the Fleetwood forum. I haven't had the need to do it ( yet) but will next time the need arises.

Slammer, I was curious as to what make , model and year your FW is.

Also as I've observed in other forums and being a previous owner of a hydraulic ( HWH ) system, I can tell you they have their issues as well.

ALL Jacks will fail, break , leak ,or jam. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

The revisions that PG has made and the waterproofing ideas that have been posted here seems to have calmed things down a little bit.

If only PG hadn't gone commercial and forgotten about the end user.

Oh well

Cliff
To back up my comment above about other types of jacks like HWH, I did a search on this forum " hwh jack problems" and there are 284 threads as compared to 24 threads on " power gear jack problems". There may be reasons for this however I think it's interesting to note.

I rest my case.

Cliff

Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well by golly Cliff, I'm feeling better all the time about having these PG electric jacks.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm traveling and decided to read the current FMCA magazine on line and lo and behold look what the featured article is on...levelers. Below is a cop of the write up on Power Gear.

Power Gear Products
Power Gear offers four hydraulic PowerLevel leveling systems to accommodate most Type A motorhomes. All are one-touch, automatic systems. The Heavy Duty with Tag Axle system is used on motorhomes with gross vehicle weight ratings of 54,000 pounds, while the Heavy Duty version is for vehicles with GVWRs of up to 36,000 pounds. Both use hydraulics for extension and retraction. The Medium Duty system handles motorhomes with a GVWR of up to 30,000 pounds, and the Light Duty is applicable for vehicles with GVWRs of up to 18,000 pounds. These systems use hydraulics for extension and springs for retraction. PowerLevel jacks have lifting capacities from 6,000 pounds to 22,000 pounds. Power Gear leveling systems can be purchased only through warehouse distributors or RV dealers.

Power Gear Products
1217 E. Seventh St.
Mishawaka, IN 46544
(800) 334-4712
Power Gear

Is it just me or is there a product missing? Maybe electric jacks. Are they no longer making/offering electric jacks?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #119
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Well by golly Cliff, I'm feeling better all the time about having these PG electric jacks.
My purpose is not to make you feel better ( that would be Judy ), I'm only here to inform and educate.

Chin up and keep dancing

Cliff

Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #120
Community Administrator

It's all your fault if they're not ( Jim )

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
The controller with all the cables is in one of the basements ahead of the rear wheels on the street side on my 39R Providence. I wonder why you have to hot wire the jack if the brake works OK. Perhaps you have a cable disconnected along the way.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any thing Power Gear on my next coach will be a deal breaker, right down to the steps.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #123

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy

The only solution would be replace the deficient product with a new system.P.G.
used the end consumer to test a product that was not ready to market. Now do what is right P.G.
Do I hear Class Action?
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can the brake unit be sprayed with a light oil to keep corrosion in check before installing boots ? or as a preventative measure ? So far my jack problems have been handled by warranty .
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #125

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have seen on another thread (Slide motor brake) where one repaired the brake with silicone spray. Yes, I have had two replacements but since we are rarely in one place long enough it usually is about 6 months to get it fixed. That's why I bought 2 brakes. As long as I have to remove the brake to actuate the jack (each time in the down position) I might as well replace it then. A little over $60 each through the Fleetwood dealer.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #126
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
I have seen on another thread (Slide motor brake) where one repaired the brake with silicone spray. Yes, I have had two replacements but since we are rarely in one place long enough it usually is about 6 months to get it fixed. That's why I bought 2 brakes. As long as I have to remove the brake to actuate the jack (each time in the down position) I might as well replace it then. A little over $60 each through the Fleetwood dealer.
I'm curious to know what you used to level during those six month periods waiting to get repairs done?

I bought two bags of plastic blocks for that purpose but got lucky and haven't had to use them yet.

Cliff

Tags
bounder