Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Power gear leveling system

I have a 2007 revolution 40 Le. I replaced the right side hydraulic leveler this past August along with all the hoses that support the entire leveling system. I parked it this winter and leveled the coach out and now three of those levelers are leaking. The problem is they don’t have a service kit for this particular model 17k 3.50 in bore 18” stroke part number from lippert 359351. Question has anyone had these problems and do I need to replace all three? Or is there a replacement that I can get so if it happens again I can just rebuild the cylinder. I’m really confused how three began leaking all at once.
justone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I had different jacks on previous RV. I found a hydraulic shop that was able to rebuild them. Much cheaper than new. I think it was $70 each ten years ago.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:45 AM   #3

You didn't mention greasing the Power Gear leveler jack legs. Does yours have a Zerk fitting at the bottom of the cylinder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_5362_LI 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	358180  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #4

I had 2 rebuilt at $75 a piece. Where are you located?
Old 03-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Any good hydraulic shop will be able to service the jack and if your'e lucky even explain/show how it works. For example many of us think there is a piston but some are "displacement" type.
The only problem I would see is if you have gouges. The photo in post #3 appears to have gouges and most shops would consider it not economically repairable.

Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Any good hydraulic shop will be able to service the jack and if your'e lucky even explain/show how it works. For example many of us think there is a piston but some are "displacement" type.
The only problem I would see is if you have gouges. The photo in post #3 appears to have gouges and most shops would consider it not economically repairable.

Good luck.
Good Catch and you are correct. When I first bought the coach that jack leaked like a sieve. I decided to buy a new jack and replace it. I found out later, the piston can actually be re -chromed, but the cost was comparable to a new one.

I use that picture to show the Zerk fitting.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:38 PM   #7

Not sure

All three leaking at same time sounds odd to me. I'd probable splurge on a couple quarts of tranny fluid and run some test. If they are all leaking in the same place that's odd. I will assume you mean they are leaking at the seals and pistons, not the new lines. I would run up and down three to four time and top off the res. also clean all your shafts and around seals real well. Then if they are still leaking find a shop to do a rebuild.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #8

I bought my power gear seal kits at pdxrvwholesale.com
They may have the kits you need.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #9

I have the same coach and was also told there are no rebuild kits. One of my jacks was leaking last year and I was able to clean the seal area with Brake Clean and push fresh grease with my finger around the seal. It has been fine since.

There is no zerk fitting on these which I think would help. It is disappointing that lippert does not offer a rebuild kit and these are the most expensive jacks they make.
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone View Post
I have a 2007 revolution 40 Le. I replaced the right side hydraulic leveler this past August along with all the hoses that support the entire leveling system. I parked it this winter and leveled the coach out and now three of those levelers are leaking. The problem is they don’t have a service kit for this particular model 17k 3.50 in bore 18” stroke part number from lippert 359351. Question has anyone had these problems and do I need to replace all three? Or is there a replacement that I can get so if it happens again I can just rebuild the cylinder. I’m really confused how three began leaking all at once.

Was the ground relatively level or on a slope putting levelers in a bind?
Old 03-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Was the ground relatively level or on a slope putting levelers in a bind?

I had it happen on a relatively level spot.
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:43 PM   #12

What type of grease if you don’t mind the inquiry? Three at once just seems outlandish!
justone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone View Post
What type of grease if you don’t mind the inquiry? Three at once just seems outlandish!
From my Power Gear Manual:

Quote:
The Power Gear PowerLevel hydraulic leveling system should be routinely checked
as part of a regular vehicle maintenance program. Power Gear recommends
checking the system twice a year: in the spring prior to the heavy travel season and
in the winter, prior to storage. The following checklist has been provided as a
guideline for maintenance.
1. Check and/or fill the reservoir with the jacks and room(s) in the fully retracted
position, each month. The fluid should be ¾” onto the dipstick (on models so
equipped) or to the bottom of the fill port on models without dipsticks.
2. Inspect and clean all hydraulic pump electrical connections every 12 months.
3. Remove dirt and road debris from jacks as needed.
4. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed
leveling jack chrome rods with a silicone lubricant
every 5 to 7 days for protection.
5. In extreme conditions (within 60 miles of coastal areas), it is recommended to
spray the rods every 2 to 3 days with a silicone lubricant.
6. To maintain proper seal lubrication, grease the fitting on the bottom of each jack
cylinder with Lithium grease every 20-30 uses.
Lithium grease is a pretty standard chassis grease. I use Mystik No2 I pick up at Rural King for all my greasing needs from tractors, SUV to motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease.png
Views:	38
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	358274  
Old 03-27-2022, 12:27 PM   #14

I took the seals out of my old spring return Power Gear Jacks (took pictures of the arrangement) and went to a local hydraulic shop. Bought seals and orings for 2 Jack's for $30. Seals and orings should be standard stuff.

My front jacks rods were heavily pitted from rust. Bought a piece of chrome 4140 rod the exact diameter from mcmaster.com ($150ish online)
Took careful measurements and made a detailed drawing. Sent the steel rod and drawing to my brother (tool maker) he cut two new perfect shafts and bored and tapped the bottom to be able to bolt on the foot.

Cleaned everything up and I have two "new" jacks for less than $250. Not sure what a machinist would charge but it would still have to be cheaper than $1800-2000 for 2 new jacks.
TomH.ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, leveling system, power, power gear