Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power remains after ignition key removed

I'm looking for some guidance. Typically in our coach, as with most vehicles, when you turn the ignition off and remove the key, power to the dash, such as A/C, radio, CB, etc., is disconnected. Randomly on our last trip, this disconnect didn't happen. Even utilizing the BCC disconnect switches does not interrupt the power to the dash. The only thing that cuts the power is using the main ignition on/off switch in the engine bay.

My thought is that the ignition module is going kaput. Anyone have experience with this type of issue?

1998 American Tradition, Spartan Chassis, Cummins C8.3L Mechanical

TYIA for the help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would have to guess a defective ignition switch, not shutting off dash power when moved to the Off" position. However, the ignition switch probably triggers a relay which actually switches the dash power, so it could be the relay rather than the switch itself.

Does the engine shut off? If so, the ignition switch is probably OK and the problem will be the dash power relay. In my '04 American Tradition, the relay provides power to a terminal block in the dash, which has lugs for Battery, Accessory, and Ignition On,and most dash functions are wired to those lugs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gary - The engine does indeed shut off. Thank you for the tip on the relay, I know just where they are in the dash behind the gauges.

I will check that out!
Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaughlin View Post
I'm looking for some guidance. Typically in our coach, as with most vehicles, when you turn the ignition off and remove the key, power to the dash, such as A/C, radio, CB, etc., is disconnected. Randomly on our last trip, this disconnect didn't happen. Even utilizing the BCC disconnect switches does not interrupt the power to the dash. The only thing that cuts the power is using the main ignition on/off switch in the engine bay.

My thought is that the ignition module is going kaput. Anyone have experience with this type of issue?

1998 American Tradition, Spartan Chassis, Cummins C8.3L Mechanical

TYIA for the help!

My radio,backup camera, sun shades will all have power with key out.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My radio,backup camera, sun shades will all have power with key out.

If you have power sun shades, your coach is nicer and newer than mine! 😉👍
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most of my dash stays powered with the key out...same with our 09 Allegiance. All rocker switches, dash lights, outside lights, radio/camera/gps, Silver Leaf, etc all have power with the key out. A/C and heat as well as engine gauges do not work.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some of my rocker switches do work but the A/C should not remain operable, as it presently does after this issue popped up.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Dennis-
Just in case you find the Ign Sw is the problem most all of American Coaches produced in the 90's used a Cole Hersee # 95410 Ig Sw w/GM keys- about $40 bucks at napa.
Here is a Pic>>Cole Hersee 95410 Ignition Switch | ElecDirect
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, power