Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
not trying to nag or be pushy. but could you post some pictures of the motor for us alan? when times allows. thanks
Not a problem - I was waiting 'til I found a solution, but here's what the OEM motor looks like:

The "outer" end of the motor - showing the adjustors that limit the movement of the shade:

The drive end of the motor that goes into the shade roller:

The replacement motor was shipped today (10/23/12) and once I receive it I will hopefully have more photos showing how it all goes together. If it works I will also reveal the vendor's name and prices - stay tuned!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn
The replacement motor was shipped today (10/23/12) and once I receive it I will hopefully have more photos showing how it all goes together. If it works I will also reveal the vendor's name and prices - stay tuned!
Wondering how this worked out. My motors are still working fine but this was a interesting journey. Wondering "are we there yet?"
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wondering how this worked out. My motors are still working fine but this was a interesting journey. Wondering "are we there yet?"
I've received the new motor and am now working on adapting it to the blind roller. The drive system on he new motor is a bit bigger than the original so I'm having to build something that will work. I've been busy lately with other things and haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but it will get done!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn

but it will get done!
I believe that and await the good news.
Thanks Alan

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally back with an update! It took longer than I thought because my wife's mother passed away and we had to devote a lot of energy to settling the estate (my wife is the executor) but I was finally able to complete this project, and we now once again have a working shade in our windshield! As we all know, AutoMotion doesn't want to support their customers with repair parts so an outside source for the motor is required. The source I found is:

RollerTrol Automation Systems
Motorized Window Blinds, Shades, Projector Screens, Skylights

They are located in British Columbia, Canada and the person I dealt with is the senior partner, Adrian Biffen. A great guy - he answered all my questions very promptly and was a great help. Anyway, they have a motor that matches the OEM specs exactly for $69, and they also have one with twice the lifting capacity for a mere $10 more. The motor part numbers are:

OEM equivalent: TMDC-12-25-07-34-NR
Higher capacity: TMDC-12-25-15-28-NR

They do require some work to adapt to the AutoMotion roller, but it turns out to be pretty straightforward. The project ended up costing me less than $100 - a lot better than having to buy a complete new shade! I decided to go with the stronger motor, figuring it wouldn't have to work as hard and might last longer than the original.

I've written up a tutorial that explains the whole procedure, and I'm going to attach it here. Hopefully it will help others who have had their AutoMotion shades quit working - if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AutoMotion Shade Motor.pdf (332.4 KB, 809 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Thank you Alan. That is about the finest example of follow up and perseverance to the end that I have seen in a long time. You have saved all of us who have that shade a lot of time and money when our time to replace the motor comes.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote