Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Powered sun visor

Our 2007 35E has the powered screen in the front windshield, and it is starting to act up - hitting the power switch moves the screen maybe an inch at a time. I've heard that the motors are the weak point, and that the company does not provide replacement motors: one must buy a complete new screen assembly. Does anybody have the specs for the motor that I could maybe use to match up with motors from other vendors? I'm not afraid of tearing the thing apart to replace the motor, if I could find a replacement for it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing you have the Carefree Power Visor? You are right - no OEM parts available. Sorry - can't help you with specs on the motor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's probably Carefree - it appears to be the only thing that doesn't have a corresponding pamphlet in the suitcase of paperwork that came with the rig. I'm hoping someone can provide some specs so I can find a workable solution other than replacing the entire shade. I may end up taking the shade down and disassembling it to get to the motor so I can take it to some industrial motor shops for help...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same sun screen in my Pace Arrow and it has just started acting up. Please keep us informed on what happens.
Lloyd.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
I have the same sun screen in my Pace Arrow and it has just started acting up. Please keep us informed on what happens.
Lloyd.
So, I sent Fleetwood an email with my FIN number and they replied that it is made by Auto Motion Shades up in Canada. My next step was to send an email to Auto Motion, and I'm now waiting for a response from them - hopefully they'll be able to tell me something about the motor...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update Alan. I too am following this thread as I have the same shade. Interesting to find out they are Auto Motion. I recently had all my interior shade replaced with Auto Motion. They worked great this summer. They are a huge Co and many mfg. have switched to them in recent years. Here's hoping you get a good answer.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just dropping in for an update. I got a voicemail from Donna at Auto Motion Shades late last week and I was able to return her call today. She said that the problem definitely sounds like the motor is bad, but unfortunately they do not sell the motor separately. I told her that it wasn't very economically viable for me to replace the entire shade when only the motor was the problem and she sympathized with me, but she said there was no way they could sell the motors separately. She suggested I take the shade to an authorized repair place, which suggested to me that the motors are available, just not for Joe Public.

So my next step is to take the thing apart and remove the motor. I will then take it to some local motor shops and see if I can find a replacement that will work. I refuse to pay for a complete shade ...
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Classic Coach in Lakeland Fl installed my Auto Motion manual shades. They are large AM dealers. Maybe they can help you. 863-667-3040 .

Cliff

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Cliff - I'll keep them in mind. When I get a chance I'm going to do some investigating - looking at the operation of the switch on the dash and how the voltage gets up to the motor. If everything is solid up to the shade I'll remove it and look at the motor itself. The symptoms suggest it's an intermittent contact somewhere so it might be something as simple as a poor connection - or it might be an issue with the motor windings. Hopefully it'll be something that is easy to resolve!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Did you move that switch or was it someone else? Also the fuse for that shade is in the BCC in the # 6 or 7 position and is labeled as a spare.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Did you move that switch or was it someone else? Also the fuse for that shade is in the BCC in the # 6 or 7 position and is labeled as a spare.
Sorry - the switch is in its stock location; on the driver's left. I did, however, change where it got power - moving it from a "key on" power source to a "key off" power source so I didn't have to use the key to move the shade.

The fuse is another thing I'll be looking at - basically every connection from the battery to the motor...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will be following you progress also.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another update:

Followed the wiring this morning, looking for kinks, loose connections, etc. and everything looked good. Meter showed solid 12V being applied to the motor leads up on the shade, so I removed the shade from the window, and then removed the motor from the shade. Connecting the motor directly to the battery showed that it still operates incorrectly - only spins for about a second and shuts off. Tried adjusting the limit switches with no difference so I guess the motor itself is having a problem. Now I'm going to find a local electric motor repair shop and see if they can repair or replace the motor.

For reference, the label on the motor reads:

Automotion Shade
EL-4260-1230-AMS 12VDC 8W
0.66A 0.7NM 30RPM

and the dimensions are 11 1/2" long X 1" dia

So here we sit - I'm not defeated yet!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
can you post a few pictures of the motor when you take it off?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote