Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Nice job! The '03 Revolution is a very dependable coach & it's great seeing what you are doing.
Hi hypoxia,

Great to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to look over the post and commenting!

Yes, our Rev is a great coach and that's why we're willing to make improvements.

I see by your signature line that you found a new home for your Rev?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I failed to include in my New Floor post that the floor has been installed for about 6 months now. We really love it.

The floor really updates the interior of the coach. It's also very easy to keep clean.

So far no concerns about the floating aspect of the floor. We put on about 7,000 this year and the floor hasn't moved.

Looking forward to replacing the nasty looking carpet in the bedroom area.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
I see by your signature line that you found a new home for your Rev?
Haha, I guess it is literally a Signature line

We were travelling so much we didn't sell it yet. We aren't travelling much for a month or so and hopefully will git r done.

The residential refrigerator seems to be a HUGE concern of the folks that have looked at it. They can't seem to grasp the fact that it's a non-issue with 760 watts of solar feeding 6 house batteries. We have dry camped for a week or more without turning the generator on. A reseller looked at it a while back & said if they had it they would have to put a Norcold back in it to sell it. I thought that was hot air but perhaps not.

As nice as the 45' Monaco Signature is, and it is fabulous, there are times when I wish for less length. If I were to put the motorcycle lift on it would be 49'; add the pickup truck toad & then its about 70'-71'. We normally travel with the motorcycle on a lift and ATV in the truck tailgate down, 72'-73'. It has changed the way we camp & we aren't excited about the change.

We're tempted to put a for sale sign on both coaches and keep whichever one we are left with.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Haha, I guess it is literally a Signature line
That is so bad that it's funny!

Quote:
The residential refrigerator seems to be a HUGE concern of the folks that have looked at it. They can't seem to grasp the fact that it's a non-issue with 760 watts of solar feeding 6 house batteries. We have dry camped for a week or more without turning the generator on. A reseller looked at it a while back & said if they had it they would have to put a Norcold back in it to sell it. I thought that was hot air but perhaps not.
Interesting comments on the residential fridge. We just love our residential refrigerator and would never, ever consider going back to a Norcold. But, to each his own, I guess.

Quote:
We normally travel with the motorcycle on a lift
We have a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic scooter and have a lift as well. What type of scooter do you have?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting comments on the residential fridge. We just love our residential refrigerator and would never, ever consider going back to a Norcold. But, to each his own, I guess.

What type of scooter do you have?
Most buyers are just regular folk who don't follow these forums and aren't up to speed on things like refrigerators.

It's a 2015 BMW R1200GS
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wall Seperation

Well, you might be able to tell it's a bit chilling outside because I'm busy updating my project thread. At last check that temperature in central DE is 13 degrees with about a 15 to 20 mph wind! Brrrrrr!!! Good thing we have the fireplace cranking and enjoying a libation (or so).

This project I'll call When the Walls Come Tumbling Down... Almost.

Back in June 2016, I was getting the coach ready for a cross country trip to begin in early July. I was cleaning up the basement and the inside of the coach.

During one of many trips in and out of the coach a light caught my eye. On the passenger side of the coach I notice a light coming from between the floor and the wall. I investigated and when I pulled the carpet back a bit more I could see the driveway! I had the basement doors open and was looking from inside the coach, through the basement bay, to the driveway.

Being the relatively bright person I am, I immediately thought, "This doesn't look right and I'm sure this wasn't standard equipment or an option from the factory."

All kidding aside, what I was looking at was the bottom of the exterior wall pulling away from the floor. So, I started to investigate.

In this photo, you see the gap between the wall and floor. The floor is on the bottom of the photo and the light part of the photo is the wall.

Here's a second photo of the gap with my finger in it to show you how large is the gap. This gap ran from the front door to just before the rear wheels. About 25 feet. It was widest behind the couch and then tappered back to being closed up to the floor on either end.

Well, as I said, this isn't good. Guess over the years before we purchased the coach, the maintenance on keeping things sealed was not done very well. So, what to do?

I scanned iRV2 but didn't come up with anything like my problem. Did a call with American Coach but they didn't understand my issue. They thought it was just the beltline moulding pulling loose (which they implied was not uncommon) and to tighten the screws.

I wasn't sure how the wall was attached to the floor so I asked for that info from AC customer service. They sent me this diagram.

They also sent me the beltline moulding diagram.

Helped a bit but guess I'll need to start taking things apart to see what's going on and how to correct.

The first step was to remove the nearly 35 foot piece of vinyl trim. In this photo, I'm removing it.

I also put witness marks on the vinyl moulding to aid in reinstallation. Reason for this is that vinyl stuff seems to shrink a bit and you have to pull it out to get it to fill the space.

After removing the vinyl trim, I saw the most of the screws that hold on the beltline metal trim were very rusty.

Here are what the screws look like:

Once I remove the screws it was time to remove the beltline moulding. Adhesive was used in some areas. I suspect this was not the first time repairs had been done to the beltline area. There were many extra screws holes without screws.

Once the beltline moulding was removed, this exposed the hinge for the basement doors.

Another view of the hinge.

Next I needed to remove the basement doors and then the hinges so I could get to the wall screws. Here is the first door removed.

Here the second door was removed. I removed all 4 doors between the entry door and the rear wheels.

The front fender needs to come off but first I need to disconnect the fuel fill opening.

Pop rivets were used to secure the spout to the fender. Had to drill them out.

After removing all that stuff, the fender finally comes off.

With the fender off, you can see 2 of the screws that hold the wall to the frame. These screws are next to the entry door.

Closer view of the loose screw. The screws had rusted causing everything to get loose.

Here's where I don't have photos. Guess I failed to upload them before deleting them. Anyway, here's the summary of what I did to fix the wall.
  • The wall and floor are constructed of 1.5 inch square steel tubing.
  • The wall is attached to the floor with ¼ self drilling screws. The screws go through the wall tubing and then into the floor frame tube.
  • These screws are on about 10 inch intervals.
  • All the screws had rusted and the threaded part where in contact with the steel frame had eroded.
  • However, for the most part the steel frame was in decent shape. Good for me.

I decided to fix the wall to floor attachment this way:
  • I determined I could drill through the wall frame and floor frame.
  • I would use ¼ x 4 inch in length stainless steel bolts.
  • I used stainless washers and a stop nut.
  • To get to the stop nut, I had to drill access holes in the floor.
  • As I added each bolt, the wall closed up very well.

Here's a photo of the holes I drilled in the floor inside the coach. This is directly above the steer wheels on the passenger side. Note the evidence of water that was throw up by the tires.

I drilled holes either from the inside or from the basement. When I was working on the wheel well area, I chose to drill from inside so I wouldn't have new penetrations where water might sneak in.

When I was in the basement area, I drill the hole in the ceiling like below and then carved out the foam insulation so I could get the washers and stop nut on the bolt.

Here's a out of focus shot showing the wrench holding the stop nut as I tightened the bolts from the outside.

All together, I installed 30 bolts to secure the wall to the floor. I also replace 6 screws in each basement bay frame that holds that frame to the coach.

This picture may help show what I'm talking about. This photo also shows the frame after I applied some POR15 to areas that were showing corrosion. The black arrow points to one of the screws that I replaced. As mentioned, there are 3 screws on each side.

Once this was done, I resealed the areas between the basement and floor and the front wheel wheel and the floor. Think I used nearly 3 tubes of Geocel.

Time to put things back together

Now that the wall is bolted back the floor, it's time to reverse the disassembly process.
  • Frames were put back in the basement area.
  • The basement door hinge was reinstalled. I had to replace all the screws. Used stainless, went a size bigger, and drill and tapped new screws holes.
  • Next was the beltline moulding. I choose to run a thin bead of sealant along the top edge only on the backside of the moulding. Bottom was not sealed. Thought is if water does get behind, it will wick out the bottom. American Coach told me this the proper way to do it.
  • Basement doors were installed.
  • New 3M automotive moulding tape was applied.

This photo shows all the stuff back on and the 3M tape applied to the coach. The white strip on the driveway is the 35 or so foot vinyl trim.

Here's a photo of me doing final prep of the trim.

My really good friend helped me install the vinyl trim (actually he helped me with most of this and the floor project). We started in the middle and worked our way to either end. We had to pull a bit to stretch the vinyl so it would fit.

Next was to apply sealant on the upper edge of the beltline moulding. This is in addition to the sealant on the back side of the moulding. Here I applied tape to keep things looking good with the sealant. I used Geocel and that stuff is sticky and starts to dry very quickly! I had to move fast.

Another view.

After this was finished, my bride and I left for a month long trip and we covered over 6,000 miles. We noticed these things:
  • The coach was quieter driving down the road.
  • No longer had this unexplained draft.
  • The coach stays much cleaner now that we are better sealed from road dust.

Sorry about some photos missing. But don't worry too much. I checked the driver's after this was done and I see where the wall is just beginning to pull away from the floor. So, I'll have another opportunity to take photos of the repair.

Final note. This project caused me to do the floor replacement project that I documented above. In order to get to where I needed to reattach the wall, I had to cut out some of the carpet as it was in the way.

Take care!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #77
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Excellent job on documentation, project procedure, and education of the masses.

All kidding aside you did and all the way round good job. I'm going to have to take a look at my 20 year old floor to wall joint. How long did the job take?

Did they send you the diagrams as PDFs.

would you send them to me if they did, I would like to add them to my library of gathered diagrams. I suspect little has changed in this construction.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Excellent job on documentation, project procedure, and education of the masses.

All kidding aside you did and all the way round good job. I'm going to have to take a look at my 20 year old floor to wall joint. How long did the job take?

Did they send you the diagrams as PDFs.

would you send them to me if they did, I would like to add them to my library of gathered diagrams. I suspect little has changed in this construction.

Glenn
Good Morning, Glenn,

Thank you for your time and comments. As I mentioned before, coming from you means a lot!

This project took me around 3 weeks. That was working on it a few hours each day to include research, pondering, and a couple of calls to American Coach. As with anything new to you, it does take longer the first time. Now that I know how to remove things and how to fix the issues, and put it back together, the driver's side should go much faster.

As requested, I've attached the PDF version of the beltline moulding detail and the diagram showing how the wall/basement frames are attached for my coach. I would think the concept is similar between models as you suggest.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Basement frame details.pdf (53.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf Beltline Screws Details.pdf (48.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf Coach Beltline Detail.pdf (169.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Mr. Dave, I by chance and searching found your post whereby you replaced your refrigerator with a home type. I now find myself in the market for a similar frig. I looked over your posts of rebuild and etc. not reading every one, but I was interested whether or not you opted for a lock on your frig doors. You may have stated that in one of your posts, and if so, would you mind giving me an idea how you lock your frig doors while in transit. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. David.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Mr. Dave, I by chance and searching found your post whereby you replaced your refrigerator with a home type. I now find myself in the market for a similar frig. I looked over your posts of rebuild and etc. not reading every one, but I was interested whether or not you opted for a lock on your frig doors. You may have stated that in one of your posts, and if so, would you mind giving me an idea how you lock your frig doors while in transit. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. David.
Hi David,

I have a very low tech lock on the door. Velcro wrapped around the handles about 3 times keeps the doors from opening. It's worked well for the last 15 months and over 10,000 miles of travel.

The velcro I bought from Harbor Freight and comes in a roll.

Here's photo will the velcro on the handles.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
yes, that should work quite well for our purpose. By the way, I admire your handy work, as others have observed and mentioned. Take care. David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #82

Quote:
In mid 2016, I finally painted the latches for the basement doors. Things looked really bad. I did it 2 ways.

The first way was to paint the latch while still on the door. It worked but took too much time to mask off everything.

After a couple of latches were painted, I decide it was just as easy to pull the latch off the door and paint it.

Below are some photos showing the progress.

In this set of photos, I painted them while still on the door. Turned out well.

Really needed to be painted.

Wet paint

Dry

Here's a couple of photos of the latches pulled from the door.

Prep work. The die in the photo was to chase the screws. The metal from the latch liked to bond with the screws.

It's impressive how such a small thing makes a big difference in the appearance of the motor home.
What kind of paint did you use? How's it holding up. Did you prep the surface before painting? TIA
Old 02-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Santa,

Long time no hear. Hope all is well with you.

For the prep, I scruffed them up with a 120 grit sanding sponge and then wiped it off with some alcohol. Once dried, I applied a couple of coats or so of flat black.

I used this paint: Rust-Oleum Professional Black Rust Resistant Enamel Spray Paint

So far, it looks as good as when I applied it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #84

I ask because I tried to do the same with my entry handle using Rustoleum Trim and Bumper paint, hoping for an extra measure of durability, but it is failing after just a few months. I can't figure how to remove the handle, so, sanding in-place was the best I could do and I didn't do a very thorough job... I tried to just feather the edges of the flaked paint, and I expect the failures are more old paint flaking rather than the new. So I'm back to square-one on it. I will definitely look into pulling and painting the b'ment handles, though. Thanks

Tags
40c, batteries, bcc, beltline moulding, caps, directv, ecu error code 539, fantastic fan, isc 350, led, projects, refrigerator, residential refrigerator, revolution, silverleaf, surge tank, thermostat issue, transient suppressor, wall seperation