Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
I got the panel off. it was just three screws across the top and carpet glue at the bottom. It does look like they screwed through the carpet, but I'll be danged if I could find the heads until I peeled the carpet away. Once the panel was off there were three screws that went through the framing for the panel and into the plastic console, locking it in place. Once those were out the console pivoted on the tabs on the left end and popped right out. (I share this detail for future inquirers). I'm probably going to replace the panel with a shallow cherry cabinet to keep our dog leashes, flashlights and such close at hand. One wide door so you can access everything from standing outside. It's not a deep space. but perfect for these loose items that tend to collect at the stairwell.
Glad you were able to get it off.

Excellent idea for using that otherwise dead space. I'll look forward to seeing the final outcome when that project makes it to the top of your list!

Dave
Currently in Central DE at our Home Base
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #128

BTW, I have just started my own projects thread, inspired by you: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...ml#post3736833

Now I can quit hijacking yours all the time!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fan-Tastic Fan Repair

During our last trip in July 2017, the Fan-Tastic Fan in the water closet stopped opening. The motor would just run but the lid wouldn’t open. Trying the manual option resulted in the same thing. Lid isn’t moving.

I dug into it today and found it was a simple problem and easy to fix. It probably took me about 30 to 45 minutes from start to finish.

Took some photos to document the repair.

This photo shows the knob and assembly the lift the lid. I removed the 2 screws attaching it to the housing.

Here you see the motor, gearbox, and the coupler that attaches to the lift mechanism

Next step is to remove the 3 remaining screws that attach the cover to the fan body. There’s one near each corner of the cover.

With the screws removed, you can gently pull the cover down. I just let is hang from the wires as it’s plastic and doesn’t weigh much. It’ll give me enough room to get to the guts.

This next photo is looking up at the lift mechanism. The arrow shows the pin that the lift lever is supposed to rotate around. However, the pin has vibrated loose and the lever pulled away from the worm gear. That’s my problem.

I tried to just squeeze it back in with a pair of channel lock pliers but I couldn’t get things properly lined up.

Next step was to remove the 2 screws from the lift mechanism.

Here’s a better view of the lift mechanism.

Here you can see the lift bar with teeth that engage the worm gear.

I was able to remove the lift bar from the lid by sliding it toward the large hole where the arrow is pointing.

This is what it looks like with both the lift bar and lift mechanism removed.

I started the spring pin so I can more easily insert the lift bar and then use my pliers to squeeze the pin. The worm gear is located by my index finger.

Here is the lift mechanism reassembled and ready to put back in.

I completed the project by reassembling all the stuff I took off in reverse order.

I did a test before putting the fan cover back on and all worked! In fact, it seems to be more smooth and quieter as it opens and closes. It’s likely the pin has been slowly working its way out for some time.

Hope this may help someone else should you have a similar problem.

Take care,

Dave
In Central DE at our home base
Old 08-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #130

Nice fix Mr dave. Speaking of the fans I had my dog bone fan support "I believe that is what it's called". Crack in half in my kitchen area. I ended up just replacing just the dog bone fan support pulling the fan off the motor was the most difficult part.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #131
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you

Lyrics from “That Smell” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

off to Lowes I go. Purchased 2 vents for about $5.50 each (thank you Lowes for your veteran discount program... love that 10% off everything!)

Happy to report no smell!

Take care,

Dave
Currently in Central DE at our home base
I have a smell problem myself, have not found the cause yet, but still looking. That is what caught my attention on your post.

I saw your comment on the 10%. Did you retire from the service? They will no give me a discount (served 69 through 75) They say they will no give me the discount because I am not active or did not retire. DD214 is no good enough for my local store.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I saw your comment on the 10%. Did you retire from the service? They will no give me a discount (served 69 through 75) They say they will no give me the discount because I am not active or did not retire. DD214 is no good enough for my local store.
Hi Glenn,

Good to hear from you and glad you take time to follow my thread. I enjoy reading your adventures on your thread!

No, I didn't retire from the military but I was in for just under 8 years and was discharged in December 1982. Back in late April, Lowes started a program to thank all veterans and retirees for their service. You can sign up online or go to your local store to activate it. Here's a link to apply online. If it doesn't work, go to your local Lowes with a copy of your DD214 (I showed them an electronic copy on my smart phone and they were fine with it) and they'll hook you up!!

Dave
Currently in College Park, MD at the Cherry Hill RV Park
Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man Cave - Phase 1

Man Cave – Phase 1 – Tools storage

One of the many projects on my to-do list was to come up with a better way to organize the many tools that I haul around with me. For those that have a ‘more mature’ motor home, this is par for the course to expect to repair stuff. To repair stuff, one must have tools!!!

I repurposed the front bay on the passenger side from an entertainment center to my ‘Man Cave’. I need to give credit to Santa Claus for the naming convention and in the same location!

I have a large toolbox in my garage. In the past, I would simply grab each tray of tools and pile it on the slide that was formerly used for the outside TV. Seeing how I really don’t want to watch TV outside, this was the most logical spot to commandeer for tool storage.

Here’s a photo of the less than primo storage. Sad, isn't it?

Another photo without the tool trays showing the other stuff I bring with me.

My solution was to make a small cabinet that would hold the trays. This way I can continue to just move them from my garage toolbox to the box in the motor home.

I wanted to make it ‘skinny’ to keep the weight down. First step is a quarter sheet of ¾ birch plywood. I cut the 2 sides to measure 24” tall by 18” deep. This would give me 6 trays high by the tray depth.

I needed full extension slides that would work with my drawers. I found these at Lowes and they fit perfectly.

After cutting the two sides, I started to mount the slide bases. The offset from the bottom should clear the seals on the motor home bay bottom where this cabinet will be installed.

This photo shows the slides installed on both sides of the cabinet.

My tool drawers have a latch on the right hand side to keep them closed. So, let’s drill a hole and square off the front edge for the latch on the drawers so they’ll lock in the new cabinet.

Time to see if my measurements were sort of close. Yep, looking fine.

Time to move the new cabinet to the motor home. First step is to make some more room. In this photo I removed the old slide used for the tube style TV. There were about 7 screws that held it to the bottom of the bay.

Next, let’s get rid of the radio that I seldom used.

Now that the radio is out of the way, let’s see how it fits. Remember, this is phase 1 focusing on storing the tool trays. I’ll look later at how to maximize the storage and efficiency. Pretty sure the speaker enclosuere will be deep-sixed.

Now that I have it in the bay, let’s double check how the trays fit. Looking good!

Does the bottom tray clear the seal on the bay? Yep!!

I secured the new bay cabinet to the rear wall and to the floor. Here is a photo showing it fully loaded with all the crap I carry with me. The bags on the right hold my DeWalt drill and impact driver, wire ties and paper towels are on top, and miscellaneous tools in the very bottom bag.

On the left are some other tools I carry with me. Probably way too much but the reality is I have used most everything I carry with me over the last couple of years.

Now that I’ve completed this step, I’ll ponder a bit on how to better organize the other essential things that I carry in this bay.

Take care,

Dave
Currently in College Park, MD at Cherry Hill RV Park
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice project!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #135

That's funny, Dave, I go to make a Man Cave and install a TV, you go to make one and yank the TV! What I want to know is where do you chill the beer? LOL
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ha, ha Santa. The beer's in the big fridge!! Plus I'm more of a wine/cocktail kind of guy.

Dave
Currently in the College Park, MD area
Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #137
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nicely done.

At one point I thought of putting a TV in the same compartment. In fact the PO run power and has a FM antenna tacked up in the compartment.

I am actually glad I have never gotten to that project now.

In the last three trips I have not watched the TV inside the coach (I am not knocking outside man caves, just saying that I would not use it that much)

I tried the online registration at Lowe's. The third party verification could not verify my status. Went to the store and within 10 minutes I have a MYLOWES card on the way that will give me the 10% military discount (not a credit card, just a card to present at the cash register to receive my discount).

Home Depot will not give me a discount. They will only recognize Active duty members, Disabled Veterans, and retired Veterans. They will not recognize my service from 69 to 75. As the two stores are close to the same distance apart for me, I bet you can guess where I will be spending my money.

Thanks for the tip.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxinvt View Post
No problem Mr Dave. Still arguing with my rv tech about the whirlpool he said some thing that the fridge woul dnt have enough space to breathe and overheating but I assume there is plenty of space to allow a gap for the furnace to breathe under the fridge. My wife is on the Rv tech side. I feel like I will be settling for a small dorm fridge at this point because my wife isn't happy about having to cut and modify things to fit in there and about the furnace issue...
Little update Mr Dave we ended up with a fridge. However not the one I wanted but it fits the space. A whirlpool wrt111sfdb we got a ice maker for it as well. It has lots of room around it since it is a 10.7 cu fridge. I am trying to figure out some creative ways to use the space. However thankful to have a fridge again.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
In the last three trips I have not watched the TV inside the coach (I am not knocking outside man caves, just saying that I would not use it that much)
Different strokes, but I have to say I watch a lot more outside than I ever did in. I spend a lot of time just sitting out under the awning, waving at walkers and new arrivals. Doing so with an icy cold beverage (I keep the minifridge extra cold) and having the morning news or golf playing in the background makes my hang out just that much more enjoyable.

Not trying to sell you, but we use our inside tv so little we decided to downsize from 42" to 19". So, use inside is not a good predictor of use outside.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #140
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Different strokes, but I have to say I watch a lot more outside than I ever did in. I spend a lot of time just sitting out under the awning, waving at walkers and new arrivals. Doing so with an icy cold beverage (I keep the minifridge extra cold) and having the morning news or golf playing in the background makes my hang out just that much more enjoyable.

Not trying to sell you, but we use our inside tv so little we decided to downsize from 42" to 19". So, use inside is not a good predictor of use outside.
Watching arrivals, and parking (particularly backing up) is a great past time.

Back when I had a boat watching people dock was also a great past time.

I can understand the attraction of sitting under the awning with the TV on and a cold drink.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
40c, batteries, bcc, beltline moulding, caps, directv, ecu error code 539, fantastic fan, isc 350, led, projects, refrigerator, residential refrigerator, revolution, silverleaf, surge tank, thermostat issue, transient suppressor, wall seperation