Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Propane Alarm

I have a 2010 Revolution, we just went on a 2 week trip in the coach and had a problem with the propane alarm inside the coach going off. We had the valve at the tank closed so there should have been no propane. I have since noticed the alarm going off while its in storage. Has anyone else had oroblems with their propane detectors?
NCTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve62758 View Post
I have a 2010 Revolution, we just went on a 2 week trip in the coach and had a problem with the propane alarm inside the coach going off. We had the valve at the tank closed so there should have been no propane. I have since noticed the alarm going off while its in storage. Has anyone else had oroblems with their propane detectors?
Propane alarms have a problem of going off in storage. The paneling in motorhomes and some of the carpet has formaldehyde in it. when motorhomes get hot it causes them to emit formaldehyde gas. this causes the alarm to sound.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

I believe they can go off because of low voltage also or it just maybe bad. You don't have a automatic air freshner do you.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They also have a limited life span. Your coach is new enough that should not be the issue. I just replaced the unit in my 2005 Pace Arrow and the replacement instructions call to replace the unit in 5 years (I think).
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replace it--the more they activate the worse they get. May be under warranty?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

Do you have a dog that likes to lay next to where the propane alarm is located?
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When my propane alarm started going off I was able to trace it to a shorted battery that was off gassing. Go to your battery compartment and touch each battery if one of them feels hot it may be the problem. If that is the problem you need to get it fixed fast as batteries will explode.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Falsing is one of the hints that the alarm is getting ready to die. If that happens, find out (look at the tank valving) if the currrent alarm has a shutoff valve powered by the alarm (when alarm sounds, valve closes off the gas line). If so, you'll need to get a similar one or re-plumb with a shutoff valve for your new alarm. being as you'll need a real live plumber with RV experience to do that, he should know about the 9V valves vs 12V valves. If he doesn't, find another plumber.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would check your batteries also as Brian has said.
Your coach is new but batteries may have a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane