RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Propane detector replacement

I need to replace the original propane detector in my 1999 American Eagle. The original is a CCI model 7719, I found a replacement kit that is supposed to be a direct replacement. The replacement kit is a Safe-T-Alert 70-742-P-R-BR-KIT. Has anyone done this replacement?

here is a link to unit I am considering:
https://www.rvshop.com/-Safe-T-Alert...T_p_77060.html
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't used it myself, but reports are it works. You MUST replace both the detector itself and the solenoid valve in the LP line - you cannot use the old CCI solenoid.

Personally, since you have to remove the solenoid anyway, I'd just leave it out and connect the lines together. That enables use of a standard LP detector (no shut-off valve) at a much lower cost. RVIA/NFPA safety standards have not required a gas shutoff valve for the last 20 years...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Gary,
It seems good to me for the system to have the ability to turn off the propane if is senses fumes. I suppose they changed the regulations because their stats showed it did not make much difference in effectiveness. Do you think there is evidence that the valve reduces safety?
Steve
Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Given that the entire purpose of the NFPA and The 1192 ANSI standard is to promote fire safety, I think we an be confident they did not eliminate any function that has a measurable safety benefit. Furthermore, no state Fire Marshall is requiring them or even lobbying to get the LP valve put back in the standard.

That said, feel free to install the Safe-T-Alert auto-shutoff if it makes you feel more comfortable. I merely stated what I would do...
Old 04-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

We replaced in 1999 southwind 32v. I want to add an extension to that bottom plate to protect from road debris that may bounce up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D0B9A21-A8F8-4324-AE4E-BB45F50FF153.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	243743   Click image for larger version

Name:	93757CA0-46CC-45EC-B753-AAEAE85FEACF.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	243744  

Mickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

Steve, there is an electrical engineer (Larry) in Olathe Kansas that is repairing those CCI 7719s. You can contact him a ccirepairs@gmail.com.
I agree that the extra safety is desirable. No one has been able to prove or disprove that shutting off the propane in case of a leak was ever a regulation.
If it was a regulation then Winnebago was never in compliance as they never had a propane shut off system on their coaches.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

Thanks for all the input! I am convinced that leaving the valve out is not a safety issue so I am going to let "level of effort" drive whether I replace or eliminate it. It might be less effort to replace it than to figure out how to join the lines together.

As to the logic of eliminating it; I always turn the master valve off when not using the coach so for the most part it is occupied when the gas is on and the alarm would notify me if there is a gas leak and I could turn off the supply manually. Also, the valve is just one more thing that could fail or cause a problem. I plan to have this coach at least 10 more years so I will be replacing the detector at least one more time and eliminating it now would save time and money then.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

I repaired mine.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/lp-co...ml#post3862211
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No one has been able to prove or disprove that shutting off the propane in case of a leak was ever a regulation.

Does anybody care? To prove or disprove that, you would need a library of older versions of NFPA 1192 and UL 1484 and RVIA ANSI standards going back 20 years or more. It's been that long since the requirement existed.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Does anybody care? To prove or disprove that, you would need a library of older versions of NFPA 1192 and UL 1484 and RVIA ANSI standards going back 20 years or more. It's been that long since the requirement existed.
Then why was the shutoff valve not used on Winnebago products?
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'll have to take your word for that.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

So the wife weighed in on whether to replace or eliminate the shutoff valve... so of course I replaced it!
The new valve is different than the one shown in the link to www.rvshop.com, the housing had different thread sizes necessitating adapters. It is exactly like the one in Mickie's picture.
Also the old detector had three wires, the new one four. The new one included a ground wire which I ran to the negative side of a close by water pump switch. The old detector had separate 12v leads for chassis and house batteries, I joined those together. See the diagrams;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	22
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	245683   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).png
Views:	16
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	245684  

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
We replaced in 1999 southwind 32v. I want to add an extension to that bottom plate to protect from road debris that may bounce up.
LP (propane) vapors are heavier than air. If there is a leak outside the coach, id want to know as well, but most importantly if there is a leak inside the coach. Here are my steps without auto shutoff solenoid.
1) Jump 2 feet as inside alarm catches you off guard.
2) Exit the vehicle.
3) Manually turn off rotary knob on main tank.
4) Asses possible causes and rule out obvios ones if applicable
5)Begin soapy water testing the lines.
6) If unable to DIY troubleshoot, call in the backup pros:-)

The do sell a small handheld leak detector online as not all spaces are accessible for soapy water test.
Catalina240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina240 View Post
LP (propane) vapors are heavier than air. If there is a leak outside the coach, id want to know as well, but most importantly if there is a leak inside the coach. Here are my steps without auto shutoff solenoid.
1) Jump 2 feet as inside alarm catches you off guard.
2) Exit the vehicle.
3) Manually turn off rotary knob on main tank.
4) Asses possible causes and rule out obvios ones if applicable
5)Begin soapy water testing the lines.
6) If unable to DIY troubleshoot, call in the backup pros:-)

The do sell a small handheld leak detector online as not all spaces are accessible for soapy water test.
Needs to be said; any teflon tape used on LPG lines must use appropriate YELLOW teflon tape.
Happy trails
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, propane, replace, replacement