Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #1

Propane Furnace will not light, only clicks

2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N front propane heater will not light. I only get a clicking sound from the roof when I turn on thermostat. The blower does not come on. The rear heater works fine.
Anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks
John
mcflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #2

Watch this guys video(s). I think he does an excellent job describing how the propane heater works, what causes failures, and how to fix them.

I am going to pull both of mine tomorrow and replace fan motors and anything else that is bad.

Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

It's the control board Been through this in November, many more people just like you doing this,, this time of year.

Common thing at this age.

As the heater starts, be looking at the board, if you see 3 flashes then one flash on the Led light on the board, it's done.

Error codes, replace board.

Be very, very careful removing the squirrel cage fan housing as it is very brittle and can crack upon removal.

It is 4 screws and a electrical plug.

Careful procedure wins the day.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:00 PM   #4

The blower comes on and the heater ignites then it goes out. This repeats three times and stops Then I get three flashes of the red LED light then three second break and then three flashes over and over until I turn off the thermostat.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:39 AM   #5

It could very easily be the sail switch. Watch his videos. He explains very well how each component works. If you want to change the control board, feel free. But it may not be the problem.
Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It lights so that would tend to say the sail switch is working.
Seems like flame sensing problem.
If you suspect circuit board you could swap with other furnace and see if problem moves with board.
When you start taking things apart you might be surprised with what you find.
It's not uncommon to find dauber nests all over.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #7

Board...
Old 01-21-2022, 04:45 AM   #8

Op says he get a clicking sound from roof?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #9

After watching numerous videos I opened the furnace comp to take a look. The clicking sound was not coming from the roof but was the igniter atempting to light. I thought I would try the easiest thing first and used my electric blower to blow out the comp. I tried the furnace and everything worked perfect. I thought I might do the same thing with the other furnace that was working. Thought it couldnt hurt. Well, the good furnace quit working after blowing it out. Clicks, but wont light. The next day I checked the first problem furnace and it will not stay lit now. It goes on and off like you are turning the shut off switch on and off. I switched control boards to see if they were an issue and the problems stayed the same. I do not believe it is the control boards, I think it might be the sail switche on one and the igniter or or burner on the other.
If the sail switch is bad, will the igniter click but not have gas to light, or is it more likly the burner and igniter assembly?
I think the furnace that shuts on and off is the sail switch.

Thanks for any additional info
John
Old 01-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflop View Post
2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N front propane heater will not light. I only get a clicking sound from the roof when I turn on thermostat. The blower does not come on. The rear heater works fine.
Anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks
John

Guess I am confused. Clicking sound from the roof??? How does this relate to the propane furnace? Or, do you have a reverse cycle room A/c and the roof unit is the one to signal the propane furnace to come on?

Since the propane furnace blower doesn't start, forget the sail switch (at least for now-- no blower, no way for the sail switch to close).

Check for 12 VDV to the furnace (outside access door). Unplug and replug connection to thermostat.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it clicks, sail switch is good.
Check the gap at the igniter.
Propane? Check it.
Check the ceramic coating on igniter, check the burner for holes.
https://youtu.be/yjTbZEs5VwI
Watch this guy…
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #12

After watching numerous videos I opened the furnace comp to take a look. The clicking sound was not coming from the roof but was the igniter atempting to light. I thought I would try the easiest thing first and used my electric blower to blow out the comp. I tried the furnace and everything worked perfect. I thought I might do the same thing with the other furnace that was working. Thought it couldnt hurt. Well, the good furnace quit working after blowing it out. Clicks, but wont light. The next day I checked the first problem furnace and it will not stay lit now. It goes on and off like you are turning the shut off switch on and off. I switched control boards to see if they were an issue and the problems stayed the same. I do not believe it is the control boards, I think it might be the sail switche on one and the igniter or or burner on the other.
If the sail switch is bad, will the igniter click but not have gas to light, or is it more likly the burner and igniter assembly?
I think the furnace that shuts on and off is the sail switch.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #13

Check for loose wires. Mine was acting up like yours and I started wiggling wires. Then I found the one that was the culprit. I also heard clicking from the furnace area, then noticed it was touching the door. I taped it up. Problem solved. Also a good idea to disconnect all wires and REconnect them. I could not reach all of them on the furnace but I did the one's I could. Isn't RV electricity fun. Well, umm, kinda, lol.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #14

Thanks
Thats exactly what I did. pulled all connections apart and reconnected. Wiggling wires did cause the unit to start and stop, but I could not pin point the exact wire. It shut down when I wiggled different wires which was strange. Made me think wiggling wires was coincidental and that maybe it was the sail switch.
Thanks
John

Tags
ace, furnace, light, propane