Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #1

Quarantine Order A Good Thing

I've accomplished a lot during the stay at home order. I was happy to get everything on my hubby's to do list done. I've also had a lot of time to research and look for an RV. I can still dream, right?

Well, we're hoping our dream comes true. Asking a seller to send their 2000 Fleetwood Flair in for an inspection on the engine and trans. I've done a lot of reading about the Flair but I love hearing about other people's experiences.

Any Flair owners out there? If so, tell me your likes and dislikes.

Stay Healthy!!
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
I've accomplished a lot during the stay at home order. I was happy to get everything on my hubby's to do list done. I've also had a lot of time to research and look for an RV. I can still dream, right?
Well, I just read today that dreaming is also prohibited...unless you have OSHA approved eyewear that keeps your eyes totally closed and protected from making any RV purchases that could cause you bodily and financial harm.

Check your local restrictions.

Be safe.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

1996 Fleetwood Flair owner here. Have to say Fleetwood, in those days, were at the top of their game. The 2000 models were built about two years after Fleetwood founder John Crean stepped down as CEO. It is also built well before Fleetwood went bankrupt in 2009, and the REV group was formed continuing the name.

Fleetwood built sturdy coaches back then, that had well tested, tried-and-true tech. All be it, old tech by today's standards. Which means these coaches are generally easier to fix by a DIYer, when things do go wrong. Our '96 has a steel house frame which has survive a 6" diameter tree branch landing on it. The Flairs were predominantly built on either a GM or the Ford chassis. Either chassis have their quirks. Both chassis have good parts and upgrade (Supersteer) support to this day.

I do advise that you hire a third party RV inspector. That way you can get a true unbiased report of the coaches overal health. Our coach was purchased new by my parents in '96 and was maintained quite well. We took over it's care three years ago. My step-dad did keep a maintenance log book. The RV had no leaks, or chassis problems. With that said, we have spent a few thousand on replacing all of the original engine coolant hoses, changed all the fluids, replaced the tires and alike.

We have only had one failure, in the last 9000 miles. On our first cross country trip the Onan generator failed to start. Some online research helped me, not only too determine what electronic failed, it also helped me to find the vendor who had the parts. $150 dollars later the new electronics arrived and the Onan was back up and running. Otherwise we have had no surprises.

As for likes and dislikes; I appreciate the ease of repairs and parts availability. My wife disliked the old school gold hardware, and trim. I disliked the original faucets. We replaced these with brushed nickel Dura Faucets and Oxygenetic shower head. The gold trim and cabinet hardware were replaced with brushed nickel pieces. We also upgraded to LED lighting and a modern 4-stage 12V charging system.

Hope your RV inspection comes back good.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

I have a ‘13 fw storm 32bh which is the bunk house model. It is somehow related the flair but is considered a lower end model. It has leveling jacks and 2 slide outs but more manual systems as opposed to automatic that some of the higher end units have which is why I love it. Less electrics to go bad. Having worked my way up from canvas pop up to travel trailer with copper pipes which froze and cracked one year when I incorrectly winterized to an older class a with a north/south bed which I really miss, I’ve pretty much learned as you go. Between the internet and you tube I can pretty much find or figure out just about anything. Of course this site is where I always go first when looking for information. My suggestions are define how you plan to use it and how the layout will work for you. My first my had a 454 gm engine which I loved and this one has the Ford v10 that I love. Enjoy the hunt and safe travels.