Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question on New MH

This week-end will be our first outing with the new coach but have a question regarding the refrig. Normally the night before we leave, I would put some cold pack in the refrig and turn it on and the next morning when loading the food, the refrigs would be nice and cold.

This is my question, I know when I am not hooked to 120, then the refrigs will use propane, I always have my kill switch activated when MH is stored so my question is for the refrigs to work, do I have to have to kill switch deactivated, (getting power from batteries) ? The owner manual does not address that as far as I know.

Hope that makes sense. PS: Taking iPad with us so if I have a question will camping, I will post for help.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is my understanding that the fridge control board runs off 12v power regardless if the heat (cooling) is done by 120v shore power or propane. So yes, your fridge will need 12v battery power to operate.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, you need 12 v coach power not only for refrigerator to operate on gas or 120 v, also your thermostat won't control heat or air conditioning without 12 v power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I learned the hard way that you DO need 12v power for the frig, even if running it on LP. Our last coach had that kind of fridge, and I kept it running in between trips sometimes while in storage. Well... after an oil change at the dealership, I returned it to the storage facility, locked the door, and returned a few days later to bring her home to load up for a trip. Dealer shut off the 12v switch so the stuff that was in my refridge... well....you get the picture.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My understanding is the refrigerator will not work on propane if the propane detector is not on and that will not work if the coarch 12 volt power is not on???
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought that would be the answer but wanted clarification. Am going and turn it on in about an hour to put in the ice packs.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
My understanding is the refrigerator will not work on propane if the propane detector is not on and that will not work if the coarch 12 volt power is not on???
Yes, the LP detector is also on 12 v. But the fridge won't work because it has a 12 c logic circuit control board in it that senses temperature and signals 120 v if it detects it or turns on the gas valve, ignites the gas and makes sure it's burning. 12 v also turns on the interior light.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went and turned of the switch and the light in the frig went on,. I have 2 switches in this coach, one that says Aux and one that says main. I assuming the main is for the chassis because the light in the frig did not come on but the other switch (aux) turn the frig on. Don't know why Fleetwood doesn't go into detail on things. I think their owners manual is very general but not very specific IMO.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Yes, the LP detector is also on 12 v. But the fridge won't work because it has a 12 c logic circuit control board in it that senses temperature and signals 120 v if it detects it or turns on the gas valve, ignites the gas and makes sure it's burning. 12 v also turns on the interior light.
I had the fridge on 12 volt and the coach batteries on, but the fridge would not work until the detector was also turned on. Took me awhile to figure that out.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
but the fridge would not work until the detector was also turned on. Took me awhile to figure that out.
Guess I will see in the AM when I take the food out. Pretty sure it is working because there in a temp guage that lights up when you are getting power. Now. if is getting propane, that is another story. i know the propane is on.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have fun on your trip
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
THANKS! Taking my iPad so if I run into something I can't figure out, will post a thread.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish that fleetwood would just label the disconnect switches what they actually are. Instead of main and aux, they should put chassis and coach.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Nothing that a label maker couldn't fix.. but I agree with you that labeling switches, fuses, etc. is something that should be paid attention to by all manufacturers. Since I store my coach on 110v, I never turn off those switches so I don't even know how they are labeled. But I can say that Fleetwood did an excellent job labeling my fuses & breakers and other switches. Even the fuses that are in-line in a large bundle under the radio console are labeled. That was impressive..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote