Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Questions about polishing aluminum wheels on Discovery

I have a 2013 Discovery with Aluminum Wheels. I'm wanting to polish them and make them shine like new again, but I have some questions, before I start.
1) Would these be classified as coated or Uncoated?
2) I know the Lug Nuts have Covers on them, and I need a tool to remove them? I've been to 6 different truck stops and have not been able to find the removal tool. Does someone know where I could find this type tool or something else to use.
3) I also want to remove the center cap on the front wheels (I have removal tool for rear center caps) and was wondering best method and what to use.
4) What is the best Chrome/Aluminum polish to use. My wheels don't look terrible, but water spots, just don't seem to go away..

Any info would be appreciated
rambler5860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm. The 2013 Discovery brochure just says "aluminum wheels", but most likely they are coated. If there is a label that says "Accushield", that is a clear-coated wheel, but I don't recall other brand labels for coating. The clear-coated wheels are quite as bright/silvery as the uncoated one and they are easy to tell apart if you can compare the two. You can also test for a coating by using a bit of an uncoated wheel polish in an unobtrusive spot. If the wheel is uncoated, it till turn black as you rub it a bit. If the paste does not turn blackish in a few seconds, stop immediately because the wheel is clear-coated.

Water spots can be tough. Typical spray-on products probably won't remove them, so you need a "polish". Basically any polish you can use on your car or coach painted surfaces will be safe for clear-coated wheels. Treat your coated wheels just like you would a high gloss painted surface and you will be fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Hmmm. Our '15 doesn't have coated wheels. Wish it had DuraBrites. They do shine though. Small screwdriver takes front center caps off. Pry gently.

sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
I have a 2013 Discovery with Aluminum Wheels. I'm wanting to polish them and make them shine like new again, but I have some questions, before I start.
1) Would these be classified as coated or Uncoated?
2) I know the Lug Nuts have Covers on them, and I need a tool to remove them? I've been to 6 different truck stops and have not been able to find the removal tool. Does someone know where I could find this type tool or something else to use.
3) I also want to remove the center cap on the front wheels (I have removal tool for rear center caps) and was wondering best method and what to use.
4) What is the best Chrome/Aluminum polish to use. My wheels don't look terrible, but water spots, just don't seem to go away..

Any info would be appreciated
This >
10pcs 3" inch 80mm Buffing Wheel Pad Polishing Pad Kit Car Polisher M10 Thread | eBay

with Mothers aluminum polish....then seal with carnauba wax (3 coats)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

I prefer the mothers polishing ball attached to a drill. I usually leave the lug caps on since they're smooth and don't grab the polishing ball as the lugs nuts do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1278795661.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	127292

It also will work better inside the duals, you might check with others for use on coated wheels.
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
The wheels are uncoated
Lug nut covers just pull off (wiggle them) no special tools needed
Centre cap, just use a screwdriver-make sure you ram it back on though or it will come off and pass you going down the road (don't ask!)
Any wheel (etch) cleaner, then normal wheel cleaner, then chrome polish and mothers ball (I like Adams products, cleaner #1 and #2 Metal polish)
I've never waxed...
I am sure Hognest (Craig) will chime in, you need sunglasses to look at his wheels!...It's a guy thing.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have Alcoa wheels, they are stamped with a serial number and a phone number. Call them and give them the number, they will tell you if your wheels are coated or not. Don't use metal polish on coated wheels - but if not, X2 on Mother's ball and polish. They also make a cone polisher that is better for getting between the lug covers and in the vent holes.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote