Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #1

Questions about towing with a Southwind and paint

Bought our first MH 2003 Southwind 36RBS because of the amount of kitchen counter Space and washer/dryer unit in kitchen area, Two Closets (one in hallway). Happy Wife, Happy Life! She loves this floorplan and compares every new DP I long for to it and invariably they don't cut the muster on floorpans especially the Kitchens & Bathrooms. She'd like to keep the same kitchen counter space, would like a stacked washer dryer instead of the all in one, and finds the tight space in the bathroom frustrating.

We are planning to start full timing in our 13 year old rig, next year and wife is adamant to do so for at least the first couple of years or more until we know how things pan out. Fair comment, we've lost a lot of value since we bought new on a high US dollar exchange rate at the time, so I hear her regarding making sure this is what we want to commit to for some years.

Q1: Up until now on many extended trips we've never had a toad. I'm concerned about towing a jeep (our choice vehicle to enjoy some desert activities), especially when we go through Montana I15, and the Canadian Rockies quite often. Would really value others comments regarding towing with this Gasser.

Apart from some annoying front end issues when new and lack of good service/warranty responses addressing them, we've truly enjoyed this MH. Needed a new/rebuilt engine after faulty clip broke and punctures occurred from rod released in 2013. We equipped her 2014 with 880ah batteries and 1000w solar system as we love to boondock, generally dislike commercial CGs, as well replaced with residential fridge for ice cold ice-cream, Tube TV's changed out to flat screen energy efficient ones

Q2: She's also starting to show some discolouration exteriorly and the decals aren't in the best of shape (albeit everyone comments how great she looks and not as old as she is), and we'd like to do something about that. ?Possible repaint job? Any recommendations and approximate cost to have someone do this properly with attention to detail upon doing so would be appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback on the towing and repainting.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #2

SoonToBeFT:
Q1, I have towed two different jeeps behind three different Rvs and never had a problem.
Q2, Paint job cost is only based on how much $$$$ you want to spend. I've seen some nice clean simple paint jobs on 13 year old Rvs and they look good. I would look at the condition of the roof first and ensure the it is in top shape and worry about the paint later.

Have fun.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Towing with my Southwind gasser is fine. My toad is about 3100 lbs. How heavy is the Jeep?
I removed most of my decals and repainted them myself. Now I know why paint shops charge so much to do it. It is a huge labor intense job and if you are looking for a high quality (base paint + clear with high gloss) job it is even more so. There are shops that will put new decals right over the top of the old that is way cheaper than paint but it won't do anything for the failing paint on areas like the cargo doors. You'll need to contact some shops to get real numbers. It is going to boil down to a person choice about how much you want to spend on a teenage coach. You are never going to recapture the cost in increased resale value.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, paint, towing, tow