Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #15

So, given all the warnings about leaving everything as is, I still want to know how to prevent this. How about removing the sensor completely? Do the wires just have to be disconnected or is there other wiring changes that are required.

I've have 3 fifth wheels over the years and have never left muy awning out when I"m away of bad weather is forecast. I'd rather I had not sensor at all.

Thanks,
Dave
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put aluminum tape over about 1/2 the sensor outside to reduce retractions.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I put aluminum tape over about 1/2 the sensor outside to reduce retractions.
Fiesta48,
What year Bounder did you have? This is specific to the '16 and later ones with Carefree without the support legs. I don't believe any tape would help this model.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had an 11 not a carefree, mine sensed air movement (inaccurately).
Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #19

Computerguy is right....The 2016's and later have the unsupported Carefree awnings with a square motion sensor attached to the outer rail itself. You can see it if you look toward the right (inside) when the awning is extended. The sensor is too "sensitive" and there is no on/off switch so it is always active. Mine was so bad that it would retract if someone would step outside or breathe on it. Carefree will provide one that is less sensitive and it is a little better. To clean the awning, you have to shut power to the motorhome off.
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #20

So, again, what does it take to remove the sensor?
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #21

If you know anything about wiring, Carefree can send you an on/off switch with a diagram. I did not feel comfortable doing this myself and opted only to install the new sensor. No promise but I may have the diagram around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. Like I said, I have very limited knowledge regarding wiring and electronics but I am sure the sensor could be disabled if you want. I would prefer the on/off switch like my brother's 2015 35k has.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #22

I have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35B and just read the awning manual today while camping. It is a Domestic awning and has various wind speed rating that can be set so that the wind sensor is either more or less sensitive. Maybe yours has this type of setting at the control panel?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

Thanks but sometime after 2015, REV decided to go with the Carefree awning. Although an on/off switch can be installed inline (according to Carefree), as installed by Fleetwood (now REV) this awning has no adjustment and does not have an on/off switch. I contacted Fleetwood (REV) and they say that it is their intention to make this awning so that the owner cannot adjust it or turn it off. My guess is that they were tired of repairing or replacing awnings for customers who swore the auto retract was on when the storm blew through.

Tags
awning, bounder