Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #1

Radio Swap Recommendations

Hello,
We have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter. It currently has the Magnadyne m1 radio in it. It's kind of old and antiquated so I'm looking for recommendations on what to swap it out with. It's my understanding that this radio is a 1.5 DIN, will a double DIN fit in the hole or will I have to get creative and do a little cutting? Should I go with a radio like a Kenwood, Jenson, Pioneer ect., or should I go with an Android based system?
As always, thanks in advance for any help.
BPD138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD138 View Post
Hello,
We have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter. It currently has the Magnadyne m1 radio in it. It's kind of old and antiquated so I'm looking for recommendations on what to swap it out with. It's my understanding that this radio is a 1.5 DIN, will a double DIN fit in the hole or will I have to get creative and do a little cutting? Should I go with a radio like a Kenwood, Jenson, Pioneer ect., or should I go with an Android based system?

I am very techy so I ordered a new style radio from Magnadyne and the filler plate to adapt 1.5 din to 1 din. I didn't have room to cut to fit 2 din. FYI Magnadyne can make up a wiring harness to make most any radio plug and play.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD138 View Post
Hello,
Any chance you still have a working remote that you might want to part with ? I also have the same radio and am considering a swap out but honestly my only reason is because we do not have a remote. I have a few other radios I am considering so this particular remote isn't a must have but I'm just curious if you might be willing to part with it. They are impossible to find.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:24 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
I am very techy so I ordered a new style radio from Magnadyne and the filler plate to adapt 1.5 din to 1 din. I didn't have room to cut to fit 2 din. FYI Magnadyne can make up a wiring harness to make most any radio plug and play.
Where are you ordering from and what model are you getting ?

Old 11-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Where are you ordering from and what model are you getting ?
www.Magnadyne.com call and talk to tech support, they are excellent.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #6

I installed an Alpine unit in my 08 Bounder. Used an adapter plate from Magnedyne. Very satisfied with ease of install as well as sound. I replace the cheap original speakers as well.
Mike LaPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
What model Alpine ?

Old 12-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #8

Radio

I just replaced my crap aftermarket radio with a boss 7" radio. The factory size on my 2011 fleetwood terra is the 1.5 din, so the double din that was installed was sticking out 2" to make it fit. Also the angle from the drivers seat was terrible.

The boss unit I found on crutchfield has an articulating 7" screen, so I can turn it toward me and tilt up also.

If you have a rear view cam with the 5 pin connector like I did, you can get an adapter from rear view safety to convert to the rca jack for the rear of the stereo. If you have a newer camera with a mic you can use the aux in to get audio and video from the camera onto the radio.

This one is also android auto and apple carplay compatible which is great for navigation and spotify or pandora.

It is much easier and safer to look at while driving now. I also added 2 6x9 speakers in boxes for the front speakers since my coach had no "front" speakers installed at all... I can only assume this was done since I have the bed lift above the drivers area, so they got cheap and ditched the drivers speakers. The only speakers installed were in the roof behind the seats and I could barely hear them at all.

I will try to post pics if you want.

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretaco View Post
I will try to post pics if you want.
By all means when you get a chance.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #10

I installed an Alpine UT200 bt in my Bounder 35h
Old 12-08-2022, 07:00 AM   #11

Alpine ute200 bt. Works great
Old 12-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #12

Old 12-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #13

So just a little more info, the boss 7" stereo was on clearance from crutchfield, I also added the 6x9 speakers (kicker) and boxes; you can just see in the last pic on the lower left corner. I had to add the speaker wiring since no front speakers were installed, and added a new 4 pin connector just for those.

The old radio was also aftermarket when I bought the coach, so I had to fix the wiring for the park/travel switch and find the illumination wire from the factory harness to make the dimmer work correctly.
The rear camera is hooked up to the 'rear cam in' on the stereo, and the small red switch is the 12v input for the cam (reverse in on the stereo), so I can turn it on whenever I want, not just when in reverse...
I still need to move that switch to a better place now that the screen is bigger.
There is no real mounting points from the factory, I have no idea how the magnadyne unit was installed, so I just had to use sheet metal screws and the brackets that came with the new radio, I bent them and made it work. If you don't have access from the top of the dash, I don't know how you would mount it.
I drilled a hole and mounted the 2 usb cables into dash for the android auto / apple carplay connection to my phone.

It sounds far and away better than the old unit, and I have a bigger brighter screen that actually faces the driver, with a volume knob! You don't know how nice an actual volume knob is until you don't have one...
I'm looking to upgrade the steering wheel with audio controls if I can find one that will fit from a newer ford truck.

Tags
radio