Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rain Leak at co-pilot seat

My '07 Fleetwood Excursion has developed a roof leak that results in my co-pilot after it rains, getting showered down when I brake and the nose of the rig drops down. I can actually hear water sloshing around up in the ceiling on the front passenger side of the rig. After a heavy rain there is a lot of water up there, probably a quart or two.

The water actually comes out of a hole in the ceiling in the small speaker compartment above her seat. There are many wire runs up there so I can not really tell beyond that where the leak has originated. I have been able to put together the following observations about this leak:

1) I don't think the source of the leak is the door awning or porch light since I observe water above this level on the inside of the coach.

2) I don't think the leak could be associated with the main awning mounting lag bolts, (at least not the forward ones) because when I removed them the other day after a good rain, a large amount of water came out. The rig was parked nose low. I don't see how the water level could have filled above the level of those two bolt holes if they were the source of water entry. In the attached drawing of my rigs construction, I see that there are several extrusions used in the upper roof radius area and I believe the awning is lag bolted through the "sidewall upper extrusion" where I have added my annotation. Somehow water must be getting into that extrusion and gets trapped in there. For the most part that extrusion should be water tight except where it is penetrated by fasteners (awning lag bolts etc) or by wire and cable runs.

3) I have not been able to find water stains on the ceiling anywhere inside the coach and there is no sign of water ingress near the flush mounted ceiling lights or the TV elevator/rotator crank.

4) I have replaced the front AC unit gasket. I have removed and replaced all of the Dicor sealant up on the roof. I have ensured the rubber boot on the TV antenna is sealed.

The volume of water that seems to be collecting in that area after a good rain is so large that I have a hard time believing that it could be coming from some distant place such the TV antenna base or one of the AC units and not see some evidence inside the coach near those areas.

Looking for help on this one.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Exc Ceil Asbly copy.pdf (316.8 KB, 20 views)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

This makes at least three of us on this forum currently dealing with this.
My 05 expedition does same. I don't hear water sloshing up their but during a rain I'll have water run along inside the upper wall. Behind the copilot cabinet. Mine doesn't go in speaker area but runs fwd and comes out where the copilot cabinet joins the front cabinet.
Like you I completely removed and revealed entire roof and all vents, fittings, ac gasgets etc. front lights, edges of railings etc.
what i did find that has slowed leak but not fixed it. Where the drip rail rivets. Found many loose, and or missing stems from heads, and rail itself loose in a few areas.
Took a hose over the front are and wife was able to take video of water leaking in, water trickled in above the light and door awning mount points, but can't tell exactly where as main headliner goes all way to the wall edge.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #3

https://youtu.be/miQNA2PnyaI
Old 01-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

This video is inside the copilot cabinet just fwd of the speaker, the wall and foam pulled out. The screws you see are the awning attach screws. You can see the water drips in at the outside skin to wall frame.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #5

Used to fill a 2 gallon bucket on dash before I replaced rivets in rain gutter, now no water in bucket but area still gets damp so not fixed entirely yet.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #6

The are where the water is dripping in is where the drip rail rivets go through to the wall frame. Hard to see in the video because of the wire harness but the frame at the top is the square tube that the drip rail rivets rivet too.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Jason,
Thanks for the response and the helpful video. The same cabinet on my rig, gets damp from the water coming down from the speaker compartment but I don't think my leak is originating that far forward on the coach. The water is somehow trapped in that extrusion until the nose drops down and it then spills out of the hole in the ceiling servicing the speaker cabinet. I will check very carefully my drip rail to see if there are any loose fasteners and I am thinking of re-applying a sealant along the interface of the drip rail and the radius on the roofline.

Thanks again for posting!

Jim
Old 01-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

Previous Winnie developed a leak that fpund its way to pass side cabinet & eventually center TV cabinet.
A friend runs a truck shop fpund the leak w an ultrasonic leak detector.... source placed inside and you scan arpund outside until the signal peaks.
Mine was the point where front cap...roof and side wall join.
It was caulked and looked good but hose confirmed leak.
I believe it was silicone and the adhedion failed.
Had to dig it all out...cleaned well w acetone and used 3M 5200 to seal no leak. Dicor would likely work as well.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak