Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Recover The Doghouse

Ours is currently covered with the original carpeting and looking tired. Has anyone used any materials other than carpet to cover it? With all the curved areas, it seems options are limited. Pictures would help too. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

I just completed covering the engine cover with the same pleather as my driver/co driver chairs and couches. I'm pleased with the outcome.
The angles had to be custom cut. You can't stretch the material to conform to the multiple angles without cutting the angles presicely to match up within each angled cornor. I used the same technique as you use when wallpapering.
I also re-insulated the underside to provide sound deadening and heat reflection away from the interior compartment.
I have pictures but am having problems transfering them from my I phone to my CPU.
If you would like to see them I'll try again to transfer pics.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Thanks. I would like to see the photos. Especially any you have showing the edges joined. That's my concern with several materials. Chuck
Old 08-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Ours is currently covered with the original carpeting and looking tired. Has anyone used any materials other than carpet to cover it? With all the curved areas, it seems options are limited. Pictures would help too. Chuck
You could take it and get it sprayed with all the new colored bedliner as well.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Not sure I would like the looks of that, neither would the wife. Chuck
Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very interested in what Nadge used to insulate. I was thinking of modifying the doghouse as a true dog bed. Ozzy likes being up front with us but I think he would enjoy his own space.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
TwinCamSam, I used Dynamat in the doghouse for heat and sound reduction.
I'm quite pleased with the results. It's MUCH quieter and noticeably cooler. \https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

On my 2000 Bounder I removed the carpeting and then sprayed the doghouse with beige bed liner. It actually turned out nice. And it looks much better than the carpet did. Since then I had a new neighbor move in down the street. He's a carpet guy and said he could recover the doghouse with carpet if I ever wanted to. I guess he's done quite a bit of rv work since he's one of us. I think I am going to have him do the main flooring at some point.
whozleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

We would love to see your pictures!
JimN235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had our previous rv recarpeted, best thing I ever did! I like having carpet upront in the drivers compartment and doghouse as well as in the slide and the bedroom. I just wish the builders would use REAL carpet instead of the 50 cent per square yard stuff they use now.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #11

Dog house recovered with same as seat material

Sorry it took so long to get back but these are a few of my step by step photos I took of the dog house recovering.

one photo shows the carpet covered dog house before starting. This picture was taken when I was replacing the floor carpeting with vinyl tiles as used throughout the RV.

One photo shows the underside of the dog house where I added fire resistance material as sound proofing to compensate for the removed carpeting sound deadening aspect as well as some engine heat resistance.

One photo shows how I used paper as the material template. I used the same technique as you would use for wall papering while minimizing any visual seams.

Contact spray adhesive was used to adhere the fabric to the fiberglass dog house cover.

I'm very pleased with the results, as well as MDW who was a skeptic of my ability to accomplish a professional looking project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_104936.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	141176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160114_100615.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	141177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160220_092959.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	141178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_142105.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	141179  

Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #12

Looks nice. Did you find any difference in the noise level once this was done? Chuck
Old 10-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The paper pattern is a nice touch. I just free hand cut mine in. I used high temp 3M spray glue then laid it down and cut to fit. The ply wood works great for the floor under the chairs in the front. It really quieted down my engine area. I used spray foam on the under side of my dog house. One of the reasons manufacturers use thin carpet is it is easy to cut and contour with the dog house shapes.