Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2023, 04:56 PM   #1

Remove and Replace Window Register

How to remove and replace a window register on the drivers side of a 1995 American Eagle? How do I access the window register?
Does anyone have any experience they can share with this task?
picocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #2

Do you mean the regulator?
Old 04-27-2023, 09:18 AM   #3

access, remove and replace window REGULATOR. Thank you
Old 04-27-2023, 10:42 AM   #4

Generic answer. Start with window down. Remove door lock finial if it passes through the inside panel. Remove window winder handle. Remove any armrest or door pull. If no screws are obvious for removal, gently pry at the bottom of panel in search of fastening points. Use pry tools you purchased directly close to the fasters to "pop" them free. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2023, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by picocowboy View Post
How to remove and replace a window register on the drivers side of a 1995 American Eagle? How do I access the window register?
Does anyone have any experience they can share with this task?
To "TandW" Bad/incompetent "help" is in my opinion, counter productive and ultimately disappointing. If you don't know the subject matter....just leave the key board alone! All American Coach owners know there is NO DRIVERS DOOR! Hence, my clarifying the distinction between "register" and "regulator" per your query, and my anticipation of a qualified, knowledgeable response: "TandW" is an empty vessel. My faith in this site to assist with RVing challenges is mostly....toast!
Old 04-28-2023, 07:10 AM   #6

There's an RV humor thread that may interest you.
The help you need certainly isn't available from me.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 2004 so maybe not the same, but the window regulator was accessed by removing the interior trim. There was a lower panel with some controls on it (shifter, switches, etc) and an upper flat panel that was just decor. Both fairly simple to remove, or at least shift aside (screws, etc).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary RVRoamer's right..it's a tedious job of a lot of careful disassembly of the shift/spotlight/exhaust brake/ panel. Easy does it. The regulator gear had broke & American Coach wanted $600.+ for it. I bought this (Dorman 740-5507 Front Driver Side Heavy Duty Manual Window Regulator) from Amazon & gutted the gear outta of it & replaced my rusted broken one. Greased the heck outta the gear regulator channel & all other moving parts put it all back together & it's all like brand new for $78.10...now I see it's $140.00 still less that A.C. wants.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 01:00 PM   #9

Just a couple of suggestions to add, removing the seat make access a whole lot easier. And be very careful when removing the trim panel, it's plastic and will break. I also discovered in my 91 that the motor drive gear was the only problem, so I only used the necessary pieces from the Dorman unit I bought. And reassemble with lots of grease.
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:23 PM   #10

remove/repair/replace '95regulator in my Eagle

Thanks to: mike91eagle, I believe, short of locating a salvaged regulator, rebuilding the old unit from stolen Dorman 740-5507 gears could work. thanks for the direction and the coaching. Picocowboy
Old 05-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #11

I have a 1991 and the top trim in held on with double sided tape. Removal of the seat makes the job easier but still a pain. Expect for blood to flow at some point. In My case the rollers inside the mechanism had turned to mush. I found out that there is a regulator repair kit for a 1996? Ford F-250 that has all the parts needed.
jeepster87mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
I replaced mine on my 99 Eagle....
Yes to remove the driver seat, only 4 bolts hold it down. Much better access.

There's some screws holding shift panel and mirror adjustment on.
You'll see some "buttons" on the panel, they pop off with a small screwdriver. Look closely to be sure you don't miss any....the screws holding the panel on are under them.
Then use a heat gun or wife's blow dryer to warm the panel up....
The heated panel will be more flexible and forgiving and not snap as easy during removal.

The actual regulator is fairly straightforward.....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by picocowboy View Post
To "TandW" Bad/incompetent "help" is in my opinion, counter productive and ultimately disappointing. If you don't know the subject matter....just leave the key board alone! All American Coach owners know there is NO DRIVERS DOOR! Hence, my clarifying the distinction between "register" and "regulator" per your query, and my anticipation of a qualified, knowledgeable response: "TandW" is an empty vessel. My faith in this site to assist with RVing challenges is mostly....toast!
I actually think you owe TandW an apology. Your response was overly harsh from someone with zero experience on this forum. “All American Coach owners know”?

The basic steps for getting at the regulator are very similar to any automobile application, save the door lock and window crank.

Tags
ace, regulator, replace, wind, window