Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove Top of Dash

I am trying to get to the mirror mounting brace to get some slack in the wires and Fleetwood has them tight as a guitar string.

Any inside information to open up the right top panel of the dash? I'm fairly sure I will need to get under and hopefully find some screws then maybe with Divine Intervention I can lift it up. Maybe remove the pullout tray and attack it that way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #2

On my storm there is a “cover strip” close to the windshield under which are the screws that hold the dash to the frame. Undoing them should allow you to remove the dash. However, that might not give you access to the bolts that hold on the mirrors. On mine there is the wall sheeting that has to be removed to get at those bolts. On the outside on the mirror base there are caps that come off under which are the nuts that hold the mirror to the unit. You can loosen or take them off altogether to remove the mirror. But don’t think that’ll solve tight wire issue. I got a cheap “personal mirror” at target for $4 that is about 8” in dia on a swivel base that I use to look under the dash to see what’s going on with camera/mirror wires and discovered several wound and zip tied. More than likely cutting those zip ties may resolve the issue without removing the dash. We had an issue early on with the dash vibrating excessively and went to FW Decatur to have it fixed. Turn out the techs knew how to fix it in five min. The dash was not completely screwed into the under frame and the side cap was missing screws as well which they fixed at a cost. Needless to say I am hesitant to remove dash now after getting it fixed. Btw since I am second owner, it was only 6 months old and had 3000 mi when I bought it, nothing was covered un warranty. Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

Under warranty, on my '16 Bounder, I watched them disassemble the left portion of the dash to fix a bunch of squeaks. It was all from underneath with nuts attached to screws imbedded in the plastic. You have to be like Gumby to work under the dash unless you take the seat out. I can only imagine the passenger side is similar except for the pull out desk portion.
Good luck!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would start with the pull out tray. Look carefully and you might find a clamp holding the wires taunt. If that is the case you will only need to remove a screw. Most of the time Fleetwood had wires too long and we’re bundled up near the end.
If that does not work, I would remove the panel in front of the passenger seat. It is held in place by several screws, but still much easier than removing the dash.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys! Each of you have given me a clue. It sounds like about what I expected.

I should have listen to the DW when she told me "Don't start that now, we leave in four days..."
Old 07-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I spent about 3 hours under the dash, well maybe only 2 as I had to crawl out a few times and that takes at least 15 minutes time plus 5 to get back under.

I was able to get a picture and could see the wires going into the wall and looks like spray foam but more elastic. I got it kind of opened up but it is feeling like the wires are pinched either between the dash frame or maybe a backing plate where it goes into the mirror arm. Oh, they couldn't afford wire ties or screws just let the excess dangle behind the false firewall.

There is no way to get a socket on at least one of the bolts that are molded into the top piece of the dash as part of it is covered by the dash frame. Wonder how they installed it.

That leads to the last option is to remove the mirror arm and maybe I can get enough of an eye on the situation.

My question is how are the studs mounted to the wall once I remove the nuts on the mirror arm? I am guessing that they should be welded to the frame but with the lack of QC on this house I have serious doubts and I don't want bigger issues.

As I sit here and think about this it might be easier to see if I can find the video cable and just rewire.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Well I spent about 3 hours under the dash, well maybe only 2 as I had to crawl out a few times and that takes at least 15 minutes time plus 5 to get back under.

My question is how are the studs mounted to the wall once I remove the nuts on the mirror arm? I am guessing that they should be welded to the frame but with the lack of QC on this house I have serious doubts and I don't want bigger issues.

The mirror is mounted on the outside wall with four large screws. They are usually covered with a cap. Pry off the cap and use a #3 Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four screws. You do not need to disassemble the mirror, it will come off in one piece.
There is no metal in the wall. There is a a wooden frame around the mirror mount hole that the screws go in to.
Make sure you seal the mirror mount when reinstalling. I made a lot of money drilling out the old mount holes and installing wooden dowels into the old holes where water entered the wall and rotted the wood.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The mirror is mounted on the outside wall with four large screws. They are usually covered with a cap. Pry off the cap and use a #3 Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four screws. You do not need to disassemble the mirror, it will come off in one piece.
There is no metal in the wall. There is a a wooden frame around the mirror mount hole that the screws go in to.
Make sure you seal the mirror mount when reinstalling. I made a lot of money drilling out the old mount holes and installing wooden dowels into the old holes where water entered the wall and rotted the wood.
Silly me thinking FW would use steel. Thanks for the wisdom.

Tags
dash