Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

Removing Sofa Bed

Can any of you help me understand how an existing sofa couch (jacknife bed) is bolted to the floor of a slide out? Does one have to go under the slide and remove nuts? Or, are the nuts permanently attached to the underside of the slide? I'm going to replace my sofa couch with a wall hugger theater seat. What hardware will I need to bolt the theater seat down on the slider floor? Do any of you have experience with this modification and can offer me some advice?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #2

In my coach the " magic bed " was lag bolted down . The seat belt bolts extended through the slide floor to metal plate attached to the slide frame .
I used the same lag bolts to secure the wall away love seat .
Old 09-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #3

On my 2016 Navion 24G the original sleeper sofa was screwed down with self drilling sheet metal screws into the slideout floor, which apparently has metal under it in certain areas (I didn't disassemble it to see exactly what was under there, but I did use a fiber optic inspection camera to verify that there no wires or pipes in the area). There is a layer of luan type wood under the carpet in the slideout - much too thin to screw into and have any sort of holding power. There is about 3 inches of air between the luan and the actual bottom of the slideout. The holes for mounting screws in the new double recliner I bought did not of course, line up with the screw holes left when I removed the old sofa. So I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to size and screwed that to the floor of the slideout using screws in the general area of the originals but not into the same holes. I did encounter a layer of what I assume to be steel after starting the screws through the plywood and luan. The screws grabbed and tightened firmly. Then I put the carpet back on top of the new plywood and screwed the new recliners to that with sheet metal screws. The seat belts were bolted down right against the outside wall of the slideout so I did not have to disturb them. I am confident that the new recliners will stay in place now. Your situation will no doubt be different but I hope that this info may help you when you are planning your course of action.
johninsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #4

I recently removed our jack knife couch to replace the carpet in the driver's side slide.
A simple process of removing 6 "Lag Bolts" from the couch frame by removing cushions, open the bed and reach down into the floor area under the couch.
The most difficult part was dealing with the weight of the couch .... wow, for it's size it is heavy.
The floor under the carpet is plywood and the Lag Bolts screw into it, they are not Nuts and Bolts through the frame.
The dinette is fastened the same with Lag Bolts.
Not a difficult task.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:45 PM   #5

Thanks, guys. Looks like my sofa couch is bolted to the floor, but not with lag bolts. Some sort of nuts are involved. My RV is a Pace Arrow, 2007. Any Pace Arrow owners have experience removing the sleeper couch? I doubt the floor rails of the wall hugger theater seat will align with the holes used to mount my factory sleeper/couch. If not, I'll probably have to use lag bolts. How long should lag bolts be? Anything I should watch out for before driving in four lag bolts?

One more question: What's the best method for removing the couch from inside the RV? I don't think it will fit through the 24" entry door without being disassembled. What can I expect with that?

Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

It should come apart in pieces that can easily go through door. Back, seat, left end, right end and two frames.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Would help us help you if you included year make and model of rv youíre trying to do this in. That said, there is a pinned thread in this forum of mods folks have done. I know a bunch of us included details on how to remove the jackknife L sofa. It does easily go out the door. It can, just not easily.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

I pulled the drawer, took the screws out of the rails to the floor. Had to unbolt the end panels to get it out of the coach
Old 09-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #9

Done

Got the couch out. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. BTW, the couch mounted in a slide out and the holes for locking down the couch appear to include some kind of blind nut through the flooring of the slide out. Do you think I should fill these holes with sealant? Not sure that's a good idea in case they have to be used again in the future if another couch is to be installed? Appreciates your thoughts.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #10

Can you just put bolts in the holes? That would keep the threads relatively clean and allow future use if needed.
johninsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #11

Yes, that works great. The bolts are 7/16 fine thread. Picked up four bolts 1" in length and that works just great without messing up the factory setup.

Thanks.