RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Removing Sofa's & Dinette thru window

Planning an LVP flooring upgrade in my 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 38U Diesel (class A). Although the sofa/sleeper and dinette (in the living room slide are still in good shape, we want to get rid of the booth seating, allowing us to insert a larger non-sleeper. The plus side is it will reduce the weight on the slide substantially. Planning a small oval two-person dining table and two chairs, and a leather sofa.

Question: think I can remove the sleeper sofa through the adjacent window. Curious if anyone has removed their sofa through a comparable window? If that wouldn't fit I would be forced that take them apart. Would love to sell than, so keeping in tact is the preference.

Appreciate any first hand experience. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201011_011836096.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	304231   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201011_011957897.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	304232  

PDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PDickson-

I can't answer for your coach, sofa, dinette or window.

But, I have a flooring project underway, and did all the strip-out myself (with some help on the carrying). The dinette disassembled and went out the door. The sleeper couch disassembled and went out the door; I had to remove the upholstered components from the metal frame (it's all bolted together). The seat belts- under the couch- came out last.

I did not know in advance what to expect. I kept looking at the couch to discover how it was built, and then took off each piece in turn. Best of all, it will all go back in the door and be reassembled. The biggest question is whether or not I can get the fasteners to the slide floor back in their original holes.

I also pulled out the entire bed, the parts of which went out the door.

I expect Fleetwood built the coach one of two ways: 1) With furniture on the slide, then install the slide, or 2) Install the slide, then load furniture through the door. I'm betting most do 2), if for no other reason than it makes the slide easier to install.

I do note that getting out the door in a gasser may be easier than doing so in a DP, because of the typical mid-gasser door location. You should be prepared to remove the passenger seat on your coach. Also, check and see if you can get extra room on the door opening. I can, by two methods:

1) Remove the strut and open the door as much as possible. I padded it against the awning arm and tied it back with a soft piece of rope, or

2) Remove the awning arm, then pad and tie back. In this case, the door is almost flat against the coach wall.

Best wishes on your flooring project. Ours is turning out very well!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch for the great reply. Ultimately, the floor replacement is the reason for this drill. You gave me a number of things to think about.

Unfortunately, my door and the adjacent dash isn't going to allow the sofa through. When the last owner had the four-door fridge replaced at the dealer, they had to go through the window - the reason I thought that way.

In the end, I would certainly take apart sofas if needed. Curious if you found all floors to be flush throughout your coach - or did you have any high/low areas (excluding the slides)?

Thanks again for the great feedback.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PDickson-

It was clear even before the linoleum came up that there were bumps under it that would require an underlayment and leveling compound. The living room slide racks bolt to the floor in that area, for instance.

I had hoped to install hard flooring throughout (except for the doghouse), but from the entry door forward the floor is a mixture of wood, metal and fiberglass- all different levels. We decided to install new carpet over that, rather than try to even things out.

We also decided to keep the linoleum in the bathroom. Not only would it have been a "fiddly" install (around the toilet flange and a floor penetration for pipes), I was concerned about creating new places and ways for leaking water to collect and migrate. Better to keep the devil I know. The linoleum there is in great shape, which helps.

I am happy we hired folks who had done this before. Like drywall installs and mudding/taping, laying a flat floor is not something a beginner is likely to do well. And boy, are they fast! Twelve years ago I laid three click-lock floors in our house, and it took me three weeks. These guys had two-thirds of the coach floor finished in two days- remove the linoleum, place and level the underlayment, glue down the LVT, cut some holes, bind the slide carpet and install it, apply caulk at the floorline. They could have completed the job, had I finished some repairs in the other third.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #5

New floor

That's great - happy for your success. I am giving myself all winter. Great feedback. Thanks again.

Tags
wind, window