The shade valance fabric in the two bedroom windows was UV torn, brittle, and falling off, and was jamming the shades.
I took a piece of the fabric to the local fabric store and was able to find something that matched reasonably well. 1 1/2 yard was more than enough to do two windows.
I removed and disassembled the valance. The old fabric and the bazillion staples were removed from the side pieces. We noted how the old fabric was installed and would install the new fabric in the same fashion.
I pre-drilled two new mounting holes on each of the side pieces (I wasn't going to re-use the bottom screw hole again)
We put the new fabric on the side pieces and re-assembled the sides to the top.
The shades were re-installed in the valance, and the valance were rehung on the walls.
IT LOOKS FANTASTIC
I was originally planning on re-stringing the shades because they were hard to move. I sprayed the strings with silicon lube and was amazed at the difference. After we finished putting up the bedroom valances,, I went around and sprayed all the shade strings. BIG DIFFERENCE.
I have more detain and photos on my blog site:
curtain/ shade valance fabric replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S